Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dreamliner 787-8 / 788 Zodiac Business Seats & Reviews (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Boeing 787-8 (788) Zodiac Concept D Business Suite Business Class Seats Selection Guide & Reviews

There were 20 787-8 Dreamliners at the end of 2018, now gradually expanding to 42 total 788s in the AA fleet.

This thread is dedicated to discussion of the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner with Zodiac Concept D Business Suite Business class seating and service

For the 787-9, see Boeing 787-9 / 789: Business (Rockwell Collins (née B/E) Super Diamond Seat, Service (master thd)

The 787-8 offers 20 modified Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite all aisle access "podded" seats in 1-2-1 with back to back seating in the center pairs, and alternating front and rear facing window seats. They are said to be 21-26" wide, and have 60-61" pitch upright in pods with full aisle access and 77" in the horizontal "bed" position. True AVOD offering up to 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games, is offered via cabled handset controllers to large flat touch screens. Power offered is 110 VAC via universal plugs and 5 VDC USB. Bose QuietComfort headsets with noise reduction are provided (picked up about one hour prior to arrival). Ku-Band satellite WiFi is offered for sale.

The Dreamliner "big sister" model (22 787-9, first in service September 2016, has Collins (née B/E Aerospace) Super Diamond Solo seats that largely avoid the Zodiac problems, is the "big sister"). The second batch of 787-8s (787T) differ from the first batch and are fitted with Collins Super Diamond seats.

Zodiac "Concept D Business Suite" seats connected "at the head" are affected by movement from the seat they are connected to, often referred to on FT as "motion over the ocean". The Business seats that are unconnected and stable in 787-8 J are 1D&H, 5A&L.

Remedial seat stability fix announced 9 Oct 2016 by John Walton, Runway Girl Network (link)

"Jay Mapston, American’s manager of onboard products, cabin design, spoke to Runway Girl Network with praiseworthy candor about the airline’s current situation and plans. To start, Mapston explains the 787-8 fleet’s (Zodiac) Concept D (Business Suite) will see remedial stability work to fix the much-discussed issue where the seats shake when an adjoining passenger moves."

As of July 2019, no such fix has been put in place. The seat modification has to be designed, submitted to the FAA for certification (STC) and approved, the parts manufactured and seats modified. Normally, the seat manufacturer would do this, but as AA terminated the Zodiac contract for failure to perform. It’s anyone’s guess when and if a fix is forthcoming.

AA canceled the contract with Zodiac for inability to comply with scheduled delivery times, causing seatless Dreamliners to sit out availability idled in the desert and causing considerable delay for the 777-200ER refurbishment. The seats were NOT used for the 787-9 nor more than half the 47 aircraft 772 fleet, and it is likely the newly ordered 788s will be equipped with Super Diamond Seats.
Due to the modifications AA required of Zodiac for these seats, there are some peculiarities reported:
  • Many seats are interlaced with others - passenger in one moves, the linked seat moves. "Motion over the ocean" is induced by the partner seat attached at the head,
  • Forward facing seats may have more restricted shoulder room / width when flat than aft facing
  • Middle seat privacy dividers were balky and continually slipped into the retracted position, so they were "fixed" in place so they are not passenger operable. Apparently crew fixes them in several configurations: all up, making them great for privacy but nearly impossible for couples wanting to share conversation; all down, making for lower privacy; facing forward up, facing aft down. Some aircraft have them repaired and passenger operable, some not.
  • Rows 1 and 2 center seats have no overhead bins; they were displaced by the crew rest area in the fore fuselage crown.
  • 1A and L are close to lav and galley.
  • Many prefer seats 5A or L as they are unaffected by other seats / passenger movement in seats.
  • 5A and 5L have one window, rather than two.

Link to photos taken by SFO777 here, from his trip on AA2320 DFW-ORD 07:10 - 09:36 Inaugural flight, shared with 68 FlyerTalkers.
Print Wikipost

Dreamliner 787-8 / 788 Zodiac Business Seats & Reviews (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
788 Business Class Seats -- Seat Number Lights?

Anyone know what these indicate? I saw some green, some blue, some off. I figured out the Do Not Disturb option, but fell asleep before I thought about asking the FAs about the others.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I think they indicate to the FAs whether seats are in full upright position for taxi, takeoff and landing.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:30 pm

The blue light indicates a power outlet is being used.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks. Saw a blue light on a few seats. Curious why an FA would need to know if someone is using a power outlet. Safety concern?

If true, the tismfu's post on seat position (maybe the green light?) makes a lot of sense for an FA to know at a glance who is non-compliant.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:27 am

There is definitely an indicator light to make sure the seat is fully retracted for landing for each seat.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by oneant
Thanks. Saw a blue light on a few seats. Curious why an FA would need to know if someone is using a power outlet. Safety concern?

If true, the tismfu's post on seat position (maybe the green light?) makes a lot of sense for an FA to know at a glance who is non-compliant.
AFAIK, you're not supposed to use the powerports during takeoff and landing. I can't say I've ever seen it enforced on any AA long haul plane, though. On domestic runs I see it all the time, though.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Djokison
AFAIK, you're not supposed to use the powerports during takeoff and landing. I can't say I've ever seen it enforced on any AA long haul plane, though. On domestic runs I see it all the time, though.
Is that true? The lead FA on a DCA-ORD flight last week told pax where the powerpoints were as part of his welcome spiel on the ground, and said that they could be used.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by oneant
Anyone know what these indicate? I saw some green, some blue, some off. I figured out the Do Not Disturb option, but fell asleep before I thought about asking the FAs about the others.
These seats seem like a complete train-wreck. Is it even worth with miles and copay to upgrade over the MCE option on this plane? I am having my doubts.

It honest to god seems like the Envoy seats are better....
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dubstyle311
These seats seem like a complete train-wreck. Is it even worth with miles and copay to upgrade over the MCE option on this plane? I am having my doubts.

Haven't flown envoy but agree that these seats definitely suck. Having said that they're still far preferable to MCE. I guess depends on how much your miles and money are worth to you.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:27 pm

No contest between the 788 J seat and MCE...J seat wins by a long shot, especially on a long flight. As to whether or not they're better than Envoy seats...kind of a mixed bag in my opinion. I can't say I prefer either over the other (if you're referring to the A330s)...newer IFE on the 788 though if that is a determining factor. The LUS A330 seats are actually quite decent, especially the ones that have recently been recovered.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Of course it is, let's not get too caught up in the hyperbole.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by ACA321
No contest between the 788 J seat and MCE...J seat wins by a long shot, especially on a long flight. As to whether or not they're better than Envoy seats...kind of a mixed bag in my opinion. I can't say I prefer either over the other (if you're referring to the A330s)...newer IFE on the 788 though if that is a determining factor. The LUS A330 seats are actually quite decent, especially the ones that have recently been recovered.
Maybe I'll wright a review after my next trip. Hopefully my upgrades clear on the 788 and 330 I'm booked on.

The envoy seats arnt bad at all. Very roomy. They're just beat to hell with wear and tear. The LUS envoy seats are a very decent hard product. It's mainly the soft product that is .... tier. The last time I flew envoy was pre merger though. So hopefully it's a tad better.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:59 am

Maybe I'll wright a review after my next trip. Hopefully my upgrades clear on the 788 and 330 I'm booked on.

The envoy seats arnt bad at all. Very roomy. They're just beat to hell with wear and tear. The LUS envoy seats are a very decent hard product. It's mainly the soft product that is .... tier. The last time I flew envoy was pre merger though. So hopefully it's a tad better.
In my experience, the service on LUS transatlantic flights has only improved. I've only ever flown J so can't speak for what it's like in the back, but I've had some of the best in-flight crews on those flights in the past couple of years.

As to the seats- yes, they had been beaten up pretty badly- but on the last few trips I've taken they had been refurbished along with the nasty old wooden bulkheads. I'm pretty sure all aircraft have been through that treatment by now, so they feel a lot more like AA aircraft.

However as this thread is about the 788- and not trying to get off-topic- the cabins on the A330s are still quite a bit different, but not necessarily worse. If you prefer the rear-facing seats then obviously the 788 wins.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:19 am

I thought the seats on the 788 were comfortable. I flew LAX-AKL. I will say the seats that are connected are not th best. You can feel the movement of the other person. I sat in 1A and 6A. 6A was much better as it's not attached. I also preferred the rear facing as it was a little more private. I don't sleep well on planes and got a solid six hours in this seat so I was happy with it.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
I can also confirm that seat 2A being attached to 1A was in fact quite an expierence. On the other hand on the way back 7A was perfect.

+1 for the privacy factor of the rear facing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.