Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dreamliner 787-8 / 788 Zodiac Business Seats & Reviews (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Boeing 787-8 (788) Zodiac Concept D Business Suite Business Class Seats Selection Guide & Reviews

There were 20 787-8 Dreamliners at the end of 2018, now gradually expanding to 42 total 788s in the AA fleet.

This thread is dedicated to discussion of the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner with Zodiac Concept D Business Suite Business class seating and service

For the 787-9, see Boeing 787-9 / 789: Business (Rockwell Collins (née B/E) Super Diamond Seat, Service (master thd)

The 787-8 offers 20 modified Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite all aisle access "podded" seats in 1-2-1 with back to back seating in the center pairs, and alternating front and rear facing window seats. They are said to be 21-26" wide, and have 60-61" pitch upright in pods with full aisle access and 77" in the horizontal "bed" position. True AVOD offering up to 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games, is offered via cabled handset controllers to large flat touch screens. Power offered is 110 VAC via universal plugs and 5 VDC USB. Bose QuietComfort headsets with noise reduction are provided (picked up about one hour prior to arrival). Ku-Band satellite WiFi is offered for sale.

The Dreamliner "big sister" model (22 787-9, first in service September 2016, has Collins (née B/E Aerospace) Super Diamond Solo seats that largely avoid the Zodiac problems, is the "big sister"). The second batch of 787-8s (787T) differ from the first batch and are fitted with Collins Super Diamond seats.

Zodiac "Concept D Business Suite" seats connected "at the head" are affected by movement from the seat they are connected to, often referred to on FT as "motion over the ocean". The Business seats that are unconnected and stable in 787-8 J are 1D&H, 5A&L.

Remedial seat stability fix announced 9 Oct 2016 by John Walton, Runway Girl Network (link)

"Jay Mapston, American’s manager of onboard products, cabin design, spoke to Runway Girl Network with praiseworthy candor about the airline’s current situation and plans. To start, Mapston explains the 787-8 fleet’s (Zodiac) Concept D (Business Suite) will see remedial stability work to fix the much-discussed issue where the seats shake when an adjoining passenger moves."

As of July 2019, no such fix has been put in place. The seat modification has to be designed, submitted to the FAA for certification (STC) and approved, the parts manufactured and seats modified. Normally, the seat manufacturer would do this, but as AA terminated the Zodiac contract for failure to perform. It’s anyone’s guess when and if a fix is forthcoming.

AA canceled the contract with Zodiac for inability to comply with scheduled delivery times, causing seatless Dreamliners to sit out availability idled in the desert and causing considerable delay for the 777-200ER refurbishment. The seats were NOT used for the 787-9 nor more than half the 47 aircraft 772 fleet, and it is likely the newly ordered 788s will be equipped with Super Diamond Seats.
Due to the modifications AA required of Zodiac for these seats, there are some peculiarities reported:
  • Many seats are interlaced with others - passenger in one moves, the linked seat moves. "Motion over the ocean" is induced by the partner seat attached at the head,
  • Forward facing seats may have more restricted shoulder room / width when flat than aft facing
  • Middle seat privacy dividers were balky and continually slipped into the retracted position, so they were "fixed" in place so they are not passenger operable. Apparently crew fixes them in several configurations: all up, making them great for privacy but nearly impossible for couples wanting to share conversation; all down, making for lower privacy; facing forward up, facing aft down. Some aircraft have them repaired and passenger operable, some not.
  • Rows 1 and 2 center seats have no overhead bins; they were displaced by the crew rest area in the fore fuselage crown.
  • 1A and L are close to lav and galley.
  • Many prefer seats 5A or L as they are unaffected by other seats / passenger movement in seats.
  • 5A and 5L have one window, rather than two.

Link to photos taken by SFO777 here, from his trip on AA2320 DFW-ORD 07:10 - 09:36 Inaugural flight, shared with 68 FlyerTalkers.
Print Wikipost

Dreamliner 787-8 / 788 Zodiac Business Seats & Reviews (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2024, 10:54 pm

Two of us will be flying in business class during the day from Europe to the US in a 5-row business class cabin on a AA 787-8.

If we are looking to minimize sounds and foot traffic, which two seats would be the best forward-facing seats and which would be the best rear-facing seats?

Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
Two of us will be flying in business class during the day from Europe to the US in a 5-row business class cabin on a AA 787-8.

If we are looking to minimize sounds and foot traffic, which two seats would be the best forward-facing seats and which would be the best rear-facing seats?

You will be flying on a 787-800 and AA has two different configurations: one with Super Diamond all-forward seats and another one with older seats and some don't face the direction of travel (i.e., the one you posted an image of); AA can change the configuration any time the day of departure. The Business cabin is small in both configurations, consisting of just 5 rows. Note that in both configurations, the two lavatories behind row 5 are shared with Premium Economy.

Here's a layout of the Super Diamond all-forward configuration:

Old Mar 16, 2024, 12:40 am

That's good to note that AA could switch between the two configurations at any time.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fly747first
You will be flying on a 787-800
Being extremely pedantic, but it is a 787-8. The trailing 00s ended with the 737NG and original 777 line.
econometrics likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Flying MIA-BCN on Wednesday. Had 1H as only the center pairs were available when I booked it 6 days ago. 2A opened up and I switched to it.

Couldn't pass up looking out of the window.
econometrics likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:49 pm

Flying PHL-DFW flight 1945 in a few weeks on 788-Boeing 787. Can someone confirm that 4D/4H face forward (no notch on seta map). We have these seats on hold. Is there a divider between the 2 seats that we will be able to lower? If not will change to different aircraft. TIA.

Last edited by balthus; Mar 29, 2024 at 1:51 pm Reason: add photo
Old Mar 29, 2024, 3:16 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Thanks for this. I think I'm going to hedge my bets and take 1L on my outbound to PHL from BCN when I don't plan on sleeping so galley noise and seat-rocking won't be the end of the world. The thought of going 8 hours with no window (even if the window is locked in a heavy tint by the FA) is punishing.
Just to follow up on this, ended up getting the old forward/backward 787-8 and I was seated in 1L. The first thing I noticed was the proximity to the galley. Though the rear galley was being used so I was spared the clinking of meal service, I just felt like I was literally in the forward galley. Second, while I certainly felt the seat shaking when my neighbor got up, it was only once or twice and really wasn't bad. Maybe it would have been different if my neighbor was a large man. Third, the seat is definitely a bit tight. I'm 6'2'' with broad shoulders and in bed mode, my shoulders were just about touching either side of the seat.

I'm on another 787-8 this week to Zurich and I actually selected 2L this time around instead of 5A. If they had been available, I would have gone with 3A/L since they are forward facing, but I really just wanted to get away from either galley given the noise/light coming from either galley and would rather deal with intermittent shaking than noise. Fingers crossed we get the new configuration but if not, hopefully I'm making the right choice with 2L.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Do the center dividers now work, or are they still fixed in place, either op or down. Question applies to the 788 center seats on both the Concept D and Super Diamonds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.