Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dreamliner 787-8 / 788 Zodiac Business Seats & Reviews (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Boeing 787-8 (788) Zodiac Concept D Business Suite Business Class Seats Selection Guide & Reviews

There were 20 787-8 Dreamliners at the end of 2018, now gradually expanding to 42 total 788s in the AA fleet.

This thread is dedicated to discussion of the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner with Zodiac Concept D Business Suite Business class seating and service

For the 787-9, see Boeing 787-9 / 789: Business (Rockwell Collins (née B/E) Super Diamond Seat, Service (master thd)

The 787-8 offers 20 modified Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite all aisle access "podded" seats in 1-2-1 with back to back seating in the center pairs, and alternating front and rear facing window seats. They are said to be 21-26" wide, and have 60-61" pitch upright in pods with full aisle access and 77" in the horizontal "bed" position. True AVOD offering up to 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games, is offered via cabled handset controllers to large flat touch screens. Power offered is 110 VAC via universal plugs and 5 VDC USB. Bose QuietComfort headsets with noise reduction are provided (picked up about one hour prior to arrival). Ku-Band satellite WiFi is offered for sale.

The Dreamliner "big sister" model (22 787-9, first in service September 2016, has Collins (née B/E Aerospace) Super Diamond Solo seats that largely avoid the Zodiac problems, is the "big sister"). The second batch of 787-8s (787T) differ from the first batch and are fitted with Collins Super Diamond seats.

Zodiac "Concept D Business Suite" seats connected "at the head" are affected by movement from the seat they are connected to, often referred to on FT as "motion over the ocean". The Business seats that are unconnected and stable in 787-8 J are 1D&H, 5A&L.

Remedial seat stability fix announced 9 Oct 2016 by John Walton, Runway Girl Network (link)

"Jay Mapston, American’s manager of onboard products, cabin design, spoke to Runway Girl Network with praiseworthy candor about the airline’s current situation and plans. To start, Mapston explains the 787-8 fleet’s (Zodiac) Concept D (Business Suite) will see remedial stability work to fix the much-discussed issue where the seats shake when an adjoining passenger moves."

As of July 2019, no such fix has been put in place. The seat modification has to be designed, submitted to the FAA for certification (STC) and approved, the parts manufactured and seats modified. Normally, the seat manufacturer would do this, but as AA terminated the Zodiac contract for failure to perform. It’s anyone’s guess when and if a fix is forthcoming.

AA canceled the contract with Zodiac for inability to comply with scheduled delivery times, causing seatless Dreamliners to sit out availability idled in the desert and causing considerable delay for the 777-200ER refurbishment. The seats were NOT used for the 787-9 nor more than half the 47 aircraft 772 fleet, and it is likely the newly ordered 788s will be equipped with Super Diamond Seats.
Due to the modifications AA required of Zodiac for these seats, there are some peculiarities reported:
  • Many seats are interlaced with others - passenger in one moves, the linked seat moves. "Motion over the ocean" is induced by the partner seat attached at the head,
  • Forward facing seats may have more restricted shoulder room / width when flat than aft facing
  • Middle seat privacy dividers were balky and continually slipped into the retracted position, so they were "fixed" in place so they are not passenger operable. Apparently crew fixes them in several configurations: all up, making them great for privacy but nearly impossible for couples wanting to share conversation; all down, making for lower privacy; facing forward up, facing aft down. Some aircraft have them repaired and passenger operable, some not.
  • Rows 1 and 2 center seats have no overhead bins; they were displaced by the crew rest area in the fore fuselage crown.
  • 1A and L are close to lav and galley.
  • Many prefer seats 5A or L as they are unaffected by other seats / passenger movement in seats.
  • 5A and 5L have one window, rather than two.

Link to photos taken by SFO777 here, from his trip on AA2320 DFW-ORD 07:10 - 09:36 Inaugural flight, shared with 68 FlyerTalkers.
Print Wikipost

Dreamliner 787-8 / 788 Zodiac Business Seats & Reviews (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Flew ORD/DFW this weekend in 1L. Yeah noticed that every time the guy moved around in 2L I could feel it. Also, the shoulder strap seat belt felt constricting. Screens were nice and bright and got to witness an awesome sunset through the changeable shades.
Old May 17, 2016, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA,BA
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Flew ORD/DFW this weekend in 1L. Yeah noticed that every time the guy moved around in 2L I could feel it. Also, the shoulder strap seat belt felt constricting. Screens were nice and bright and got to witness an awesome sunset through the changeable shades.
Same experience. This past weekend I did a quick turn to Saigon with Ord-Nrt in Biz. 2A on the outbound and 7L on the way back. While I can now attest to the somewhat bothersome feeling of having the seat shake every time the connecting seat moves, I will say that 7A and 7L are precious. Besides not having a connecting seat, these are the last seats in the cabin with great privacy, little to no foot traffic, and great views of wing, engine, and the landscape beneath us. Also had the same crew who recognized me and added for an overall great experience.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:05 pm

Is row 7 not distracting because you are right up against the other passenger group with just a netting? I'm just curious....
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA 3M Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I had my second flight on the DL yesterday ORD-PVG. First time I had flown facing backwards but seat opposite was empty so did not have any privacy issues. Really enjoyed backwards but was in 1A yday and it was a good experience. Yes, felt average size person moving occasionaly behind me, and as I'm 6'4 230 I'm sure they felt me more, but is it a deal breaker..no. IFE is great, service..for AA Intl was VERY good, food also..honestly...very good so can't complain.

Do I miss getting the upgrade to the old 3 Class Flagship Suite on the 777...yes..very much..but this isn't so bad.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Flew last week PEK-DFW and back, and was slightly concerned about the seat following some of the comments on here. Have to say I thought the cabin and seat was supposed. Got 5A out and 5L back - thanks for that advice, id thoroughly recommend both seats - and found the seat extremely comfortable - plenty of space and the best sleep I've ever had on an aircraft.

Great IFE - even managed to watch the England game live on the way back which was a bonus. And the food was very decent too. Overall compared very favourably with the BA 747s and 777s i'm used to and a massive step up from my last AA trans-pacific on a 'ski slope' 772 last year.

Only downside - didn't seem any attempt to refresh the toilets during either flight, so we ended up with sticky floors, blocked sinks etc. Goodness know what the Economy loos were like.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Just as an update and might be a one off per plane, but DFW-ORD 2330 last night (6/20), all the dividers in the forward cabin were able to be raised or lowered. Forward and rear facing seats attempted both and worked for all rows in the cabin.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage Reg (Former platinum), LANPASS
Between the old 777 in F and the B788 in J, which one of these is better?
Any seat recommendations?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmarin1992
Old 777F for comfort and space.
New 788J for IFE, lavs and humidity.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by cmarin1992
DEFINITELY the old 777 in F. All seats face forward, you aren't staring into someone else's face, seats are larger. Best seats 2A,3A, 2J, 3J

787 - 5A and 5L. Most other seats get jolted when the person behind you moves their seats. Why AA would let this problem go on and on is absolutely beyond me.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I completely disagree - 787 blows away the old F. Way more entertainment, a usuable screen (my iPhone has more resolution than the old 777 IFE) cleaner airplane, quieter airplane, better cabin pressure, more USB and power options, etc. The only thing that the old F has going for it is the bedding + mattress. 6a and 6l don't look at anyone and those are the seats where the shaking problems are non existent.

I'm 6'2" and would take 787 J over old 777 F any day
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by Hengilas
I completely disagree - 787 blows away the old F. Way more entertainment, a usuable screen (my iPhone has more resolution than the old 777 IFE) cleaner airplane, quieter airplane, better cabin pressure, more USB and power options, etc. The only thing that the old F has going for it is the bedding + mattress. 6a and 6l don't look at anyone and those are the seats where the shaking problems are non existent.

If all someone wants to do on an overnight flight is get some sleep, all those electronic amenities on the 787 are irrelevant. I read that 6A & 6L are directly adjacent to the galley and bathrooms and are noisy if there's a crew that wants to chat among themselves all night.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: Marriott PLAT
Just flew overnight from LAX to HND, family of 4 occupying the entire row 6. I would choose the same in the future - no galley or lav noise whatsoever, and only noticed two Y passengers coming to the lavs for the entire 11 hour flight. I thought the mini-cabin was very private, quiet, and FA's were attentative.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
If all someone wants to do on an overnight flight is get some sleep, all those electronic amenities on the 787 are irrelevant. I read that 6A & 6L are directly adjacent to the galley and bathrooms and are noisy if there's a crew that wants to chat among themselves all night.
It's obviously an anecdotal experience, but I experienced nowhere near the galley or lav noise that one gets in the 77w cabin while on the 787 in 6A or L. I don't think there's much of a galley in between the two cabins, just the setup for mid-flight snacks.

The lavs on the 787s are also far nicer than the 772s.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:05 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by Hengilas

I am 6'4" and hate the 787 J seats and go out of my way via taking connecting flights rather than direct flights to Asia so I can sit in the old 777 F cabin. Comfort of the seat is most important for me and there is just no comparison. The 787 J seat is extremely narrow and too short for me to stretch out all the way. The 777 F seat is much wider and much longer and is far more private than the 787 J seat. An additional point is that the food and especially the wine in F is far better than the J food and wine. Not great mind you and far below foreign carriers, but a large step up from J.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat.
DFW-SCL AA945 now 787-8

I'm booked on AA945 (DFW-SCL) on 12/26, when I booked it was a 777-200 and I booked a first class seat (P class), it's now showing as a 787-8 and still says I'm booked in to First even though there's no F on the plane.

None of the alternative flights that do have F really work for me, so I guess I'm stuck with it. If I'd known, I'd have just booked a J ticket at the time and saved myself some money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.