Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int’l. oneworld Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Los Angeles International Airport - Tom Bradley International Terminal oneworld Lounges

Location: Go airside via the North security check. Continue past the SkyTeam marked elevator / lift past the Star Alliance lounge signage and escalators to the main shops area and take the elevator to the oneworld Lounge on floor 5. (LAX / LAWA now allows passengers with same day departing boarding passes multi-terminal access.)

See AA T-4 - LAX TBIT secure airside connector open 25 Feb 2016 for airside access via the secure airside connector.

Qantas International First Lounge
Open daily: 06:30 - 23:30 [currently closed] QF F Lounge has REOPENED as of SEP 2022.

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (7)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated first departing in, or connecting from, first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.

oneworld Los Angeles Lounge
Open daily: 14:00 - 20:45

Amenities:
Computer connected to Internet
Neil Perry dining and buffet (hot, cold, food carts)
Full staffed bar and made to order mixed drinks
Barista and coffee selections
Shower suites (9)

Access rules:
Traveling on a oneworld marketed and operated business or first departing in, or connecting from, business or first class on a oneworld international flight of over 5 hours,
or
traveling in business or first class on a three-class domestic flight
or
a oneworld Sapphire or Emerald cardholder. Exception being AA Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, and Platinum members are not eligible for access when traveling solely on flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.
Print Wikipost

Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int’l. oneworld Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:22 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Granlor
Hi BRP. It would be worth a visit to the Qantas F lounge just to try some other New World wines. You may get some interesting comparisons to your local appellation. I live in the Hunter Valley (New South Wales) but at our monthly wine group meeting we taste (blind) a variety of wines from around the globe.
Cin Cin!
Cin Cin, indeed (the name of a very good local wine bar). Don't get me wrong, we are very keen try try wines from a variety of places. Certainly Old World Wines (France, Italy) come a very close second to California and are very worth drinking. Australia, South Africa have some very nice offerings. China is even moving into the higher-end market.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't generally expect an airline lounge (even a good one) to be pallet-expanding in the wine area. In other venues, we do venture indeed.

Even at the LHR F lounges, for example, I can't pass up the Johnnie Blue over the wine offerings (that is, until they took it away maybe 1 hour before our flight Monday...both bottles )

I'm likely being too provincial on my views of the quality of wines in lounges...

Cheers.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by no2chem
It is very well defined. EXP on international itinerary, per oneworld rules (https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access) is covered under exception no.2, which means they are allowed access whenever they are not "travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean". Otherwise we would not have access to the AC FL. It doesn't matter if you are flying Y-F, J-Y, or what the class of service is.
Which is why I asked about separate PNRs...
If you are on separate tickets your onwards PNR is for a "solely North American flight" your other PNR is complete, whether it was 2hrs or 2 days ago.

What we the traveller tend to define as a single itinerary may not be by airlines, (or travel insurance provides)
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:46 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by moa999
It's a single PNR.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
If you are on separate tickets your onwards PNR is for a "solely North American flight" your other PNR is complete, whether it was 2hrs or 2 days ago.

What we the traveller tend to define as a single itinerary may not be by airlines, (or travel insurance provides)
Travelling on separate tickets does not preclude lounge access if otherwise the rules are met.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Those with separate PNRs or tickets are not excluded by oneworld lounge access rules. As long as the stated requirements are met and the qualifying boarding pass is presented, access should be granted.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by no2chem
I think the agent was correct in this case.

Technically, the LAX-JFK segment gives you class of service based access to the AC (or any other oneworld J lounge). Status-based access, however, only applies on same-day connections, and since the MIA-PTY was on the next day, you shouldn't have had access.

Not agreeing with the rule, just pointing out what the rule is.
I had same exact thing happen to me on this route earlier this year. Went to T4 AC and asked about FL and they told me no because international leg was next day. I did not bother with QF F - was before connector was open
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
My experience was success at both QF and FL. Traveling on the LAX-JFK leg today and JFK-MIA-PTY tomorrow for my Panama run. Went to QF presented my Mobile boarding pass and my OWE card and granted access. Went to AC to get water for my flight and they handed me the FL key.

I don't believe I should have been granted access to either seeing as my international segment is tomorrow.

However, is a possible explanation that I was upgraded to First? I am unsure when it processed but I found out when I got to the gate.

Just my two cents - the QF lounge, while nice, wasn't worth the walk unless you wanted to dine at the table service restaurant. I got there as breakfast was finishing (11:30) and lunch wouldn't start until Noon - so I didn't get to eat. It is a nice lounge and was quiet at the time, spacious and clean. The atmosphere was nice. I would head back to try the food but I would not walk just to sit for a short time.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
So I'm sitting in the QF first lounge again, two successful visits after the last incorrect denial.

Today, I got the agent who denied me last time, so I was sure I was screwed. I was flying TPE-(JL J)-KIX-(JL Y)-LAX-(AA Y)-SJC. Agent allowed access without a fight.

I would say there are several possibilities:

1) They reeducated the agents on oneworld policy

2) This time I handed over a JL boarding pass for the AA segment I got in Osaka, so the AA flag didnt go off in the agents head

3) there was a guy sitting there on his laptop with the oneworld rules open on his laptop and an aa exp card out. Maybe she was distracted by whatever his issue was.

Didnt have much time in the lounge today (have to rush to the eagle terminal after lunch), so not much of a chance to dive in further. Just wanted to point out the datapoint.
Also pretty sure the agent recognized me.

Finally, the Kung Pao chicken on the summer menu is pretty good, they use szechuan peppercorns so the flavor is just right...

Last edited by no2chem; Jun 5, 2016 at 2:15 pm
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by brp
Very much into wine. But we live in the Santa Cruz Mountains appellation in California, so I'm unlikely to find anything in either lounge that would compare favorably and, consequently, I rarely drink wine in even the best of airline lounges

But it is quite possible that what is on offer at TBIT exceeds the FL in this regard.

Cheers.
I am sure any non Californian wine would be an improvement.

Recently did a winery tour in California. Maybe one of the wines were decent. The rest were awful compared to many European and Australian wines.

The locals thought they were great though, and I guess that is their main market.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:14 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GentleGiant

Recently did a winery tour in California. Maybe one of the wines were decent. The rest were awful compared to many European and Australian wines.
Not sure what you tasted, but it clearly wasn't the good stuff that we have. What part of California, if I may ask? An which wineries?

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Very much into wine. But we live in the Santa Cruz Mountains appellation in California, so I'm unlikely to find anything in either lounge that would compare favorably and, consequently, I rarely drink wine in even the best of airline lounges

But it is quite possible that what is on offer at TBIT exceeds the FL in this regard.

Cheers.
I enjoyed a glass of Joseph Phelps Freestone pinot (CA retail +/- $45) today in the Qantas F lounge. Being very much into wine, I'm sure you'd agree that True Sonoma Coast pinot is of a similar style (and generally better quality) than that from the Santa Cruz mountains?

The wine however was the highlight of the LAX Qantas F lounge for me. The lounge resembles a large box with little privacy and business class density, poor (waiter service only) food in a school lunchroom setting, and none of the special or unique amenities most other F lounges have to differentiate themselves from J lounges and each other.

Yes, this is a very decent lounge for LAX but still poor to mediocre on a global scale for a first class lounge. I'd rather spend time in the Qantas J lounges in Singapore or Hong Kong.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by GentleGiant

The locals thought they were great though, and I guess that is their main market.
Ouch... As a "member" of the California wine industry I apologize for our awful wines However I also have to question your palate as California wines (huge generalization) tend to fall between the European and Australian wines you seem to love in character and flavor profile.

I've also noticed in my five or so trips to the LAX Qantas First lounge that at least half of the wines on offer at any given time are in fact from Australian producers, so maybe all the wines the "locals" thought were great were in fact the Australian offerings? That makes sense now right?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:49 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by btbx11
I enjoyed a glass of Joseph Phelps Freestone pinot (CA retail +/- $45) today in the Qantas F lounge. Being very much into wine, I'm sure you'd agree that True Sonoma Coast pinot is of a similar style (and generally better quality) than that from the Santa Cruz mountains?
I'll agree to the style being similar between Sonoma and Santa Cruz Mountains pinots- most specifically with both being markedly different from the French pinots even from the same clones. "Generally better quality" is harder to address. Even though there are a good number of Santa Cruz Mountains wineries making nice pinots, there are far more in Napa so, on the whole, there are more "better quality" pinots from Sonoma.

However, there are more than a few Santa Cruz Mountains wineries making pinots that, to my palate, are the equal of what I have tasted from Sonoma (or Oregon, for that matter). So, pitting top against top, I'd call it fairly even.

Although I may have to give an overall edge to Carneros. Seems that that really nasty soil there does wonders for the pinot and chard.

Sadly, heading to Napa for the weekend as friends from out of town want to go there. Certainly more spectacular and showy than Sonoma...and people probably should experience that at least once...sort of like Bourbon Street in New Orleans. Spend a little time there, then experience New Orleans

Cheers.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Just a reminder that this thread is about the TBIT oneworld lounges.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/ is a better place to discuss the nuances of various wines.

/Moderator
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:06 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Just a reminder that this thread is about the TBIT oneworld lounges.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/ is a better place to discuss the nuances of various wines.

/Moderator
Apologies, JDiver. Discussing the adult beverage offerings at the various LAX lounges got a little out of hand

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.