Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Yet another data point

TUL-DFW 5/21. Booked 4/19. No clearance from T-100 up to T-4. I'm Number 1 on the upgrade list. I approached the GA who would be working the flight (and knows me by both name and nickname) an hour before flight time.

She checked for me, and said "I have two open in First. I can't do anything right now for you because someone may upgrade at the kiosk". (I cleared, but no one else did).

SPECULATION-That might explain why in certain situations, you can go from F7 to F1 in the time it takes to drive to the airport for your flight-The dreaded kiosk upgrade. Just one more thing to stress about (or not).

At the end of the day, with a finite number of seats, and sometimes a greater than finite number of posteriors to occupy them (UPG list for my flight yesterday was at 39), for me, it boils down to a zen-like approach: Either it will clear, or it won't. But I WILL get to my desired destination, no matter where I sit. (OTOH-Standby can be a non zen-like story )
Old May 22, 2015, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
TUL-DFW 5/21. Booked 4/19. No clearance from T-100 up to T-4. I'm Number 1 on the upgrade list. I approached the GA who would be working the flight (and knows me by both name and nickname) an hour before flight time.

She checked for me, and said "I have two open in First. I can't do anything right now for you because someone may upgrade at the kiosk". (I cleared, but no one else did).

SPECULATION-That might explain why in certain situations, you can go from F7 to F1 in the time it takes to drive to the airport for your flight-The dreaded kiosk upgrade. Just one more thing to stress about (or not).

At the end of the day, with a finite number of seats, and sometimes a greater than finite number of posteriors to occupy them (UPG list for my flight yesterday was at 39), for me, it boils down to a zen-like approach: Either it will clear, or it won't. But I WILL get to my desired destination, no matter where I sit. (OTOH-Standby can be a non zen-like story )
So basically AA is now selling kiosk TODs before clearing the upgrade wait list.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Why aren't elites at least being offered the paid UPG at check-in? I would actually consider this option on some flights.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cmd320
So basically AA is now selling kiosk TODs before clearing the upgrade wait list.
As has been said here many, many, many times - the word of a single agent should be taken with less than a grain of salt.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjw242
As has been said here many, many, many times - the word of a single agent should be taken with less than a grain of salt.
We're getting multiple reports, from multiple agents, across multiple stations systemwide though. Plus the revenue management and upgrade experiences seem to be consistent with what TODs would cause.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
airport agents know absolutely nothing about revenue management and how the upgrades are handled. The system is programmed not to offer LFBU if there are elites waiting for an upgrade unless of course there are more open seats then elites waiting on the upgrade
Old May 22, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
airport agents know absolutely nothing about revenue management and how the upgrades are handled. The system is programmed not to offer LFBU if there are elites waiting for an upgrade unless of course there are more open seats then elites waiting on the upgrade
Well then there's a major problem somewhere because AAgents are apparently holding the upgrade list to allow more time for the kiosk to offer upgrades. Either way, it's not good.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
It's very puzzling and I'm seeing it happen more often. For a flight this afternoon that I booked four months ago, EF has shown F7 for several days with plenty of seats open. Five hours prior to flight, EF went to F1 and a few minutes later to F0. Now fours prior I see the upgrade list and I'm #1. It just doesn't make sense that there were 7+ EXPs or PLTs ahead of me - certainly not on this route. Possible, yes; likely, no.
Old May 22, 2015, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
But they are told what they can, and more importantly, CAN'T do.

(I was only following orders.)

Last edited by Dallas49er; May 22, 2015 at 5:46 pm
Old May 23, 2015, 3:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I am *not* generally a conspiracy theorist, but this thread, plus

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ails-page.html

Combined with the thread about the lack of upgrade email notifications (no idea how to link two threads in the same post) sounds a bit like they may very well have had a change in policy regarding upgrades.

I haven't run into a list where I haven't cleared this year (late in the day), but I flew quite a bit until mid-April and have been home since, so I'm only going by what's been posted here. But it sounds as though those who are waitlisted for an auto-upgrade can only get one if TOD seats remain unsold? If so, it would be great if there was a system by which those on the waitlist also had a shot at TODs. By all means, sell seats. But sell them to me, too
Old May 23, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Except that they don't even do that. UA sells TODs before upgrades clear, I'm not aware of AA doing the same. DL uses FCM to offer F deeply discounted, AA doesn't do this either. They're holding back upgrades in the event 14 people decide to buy full F tickets day of departure on flights like DFW-MCO.
I think the UA TOD phenomenon (offers of FC seats to kettles at checkin for "Tens-Of-Dollars") is a bit of a red herring. On many of my regular business routes (DEN-IAH, DEN-PIT for example) FC seats are purchased well in advance due, I'm pretty sure, to attractive -UP fares (DEN-PIT return is generally $300 more in FC than Y, and DEN-IAH can be less than that). I've seen 739s with, say, 17/20 FC seats taken a week out and in the end ZERO folks upgraded. AA has instituted these fares as well and is probably trying to find the right price point (or is waiting for AA folks to figure out the new system).

...SPECULATION-That might explain why in certain situations, you can go from F7 to F1 in the time it takes to drive to the airport for your flight-The dreaded kiosk upgrade. Just one more thing to stress about (or not). ...
Are those AA's version of TODs?
Old May 23, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
We're getting multiple reports, from multiple agents, across multiple stations systemwide though. Plus the revenue management and upgrade experiences seem to be consistent with what TODs would cause.
Not to mention hearing the GA's offer them at the gate, at least in PHX, as well as having GA's confirm that the auto upgrade requests is not actually happening despite what the reservation may say (personal experience w/both of these).

Another point of reference, the entire front cabin for my flight tomorrow is empty (as is most of the plane, btw) yet my upgrade has not cleared since the window opened on Thursday. At this point, I do not expect it to as I suspect this is another flight where I am not actually on the upgrade list, despite what the reservation says, & will not be until I get to the airport tomorrow & have an agent manually add me to the list.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:01 am

Received e-mail notice of upgrade this morning for 5/27 DFW-ABQ at T-100.

Last edited by Dallas49er; May 23, 2015 at 11:46 am
Old May 23, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
...and now I'm back to getting upgrades at around the T-100 mark. Go figure.
Old May 23, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jAAck
It's very puzzling and I'm seeing it happen more often. For a flight this afternoon that I booked four months ago, EF has shown F7 for several days with plenty of seats open. Five hours prior to flight, EF went to F1 and a few minutes later to F0. Now fours prior I see the upgrade list and I'm #1. It just doesn't make sense that there were 7+ EXPs or PLTs ahead of me - certainly not on this route. Possible, yes; likely, no.
I have seen this pattern frequently in recent months. Many F seats open until a few hours before departure, then it goes down to one. Fortunately I have always been found myself upgraded in that process, but it's clearly a change in practice. It's also somewhat annoying as there is then no way to change seats. In the case of my wife and I on the same PNR we found ourselves sitting apart after each of the upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.