Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 6:15 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Our flights this weekend SFO-ORD-LGA cleared at exactly 100 hours. I had seat alerts set in EF, so was prepared t be awoken around 3:50AM. As it is, I woke up at 3:48 AM, went to the computer, watched them clear into our split-for-upgrade-purposes records, canceled the alerts, rearranged seats and went back to bed.

I expect the return to clear at 100 hours as well.

This has not generally been the rule of late.

Cheers.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
My last three AA-metal jaunts have cleared day of.

The most recent one, yesterday morning, I cleared along with half the F cabin at two minutes before boarding began.

I have a US-metal itinerary coming up next Tuesday, will see when that one clears...
I had a first today on an all US metal flight....I didn't clear before T-24, but when I checked in online, I went to switch my seat and first was available, so I selected it and went up front. Why I was upgraded automatically was a bit perplexing.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I haven't had any domestic-only upgrade requests this year, but 5/8 SWUs cleared at T-4ish or at the gate. Of the three which cleared earlier, one was applied at booking last September for a January flight and two were applied to rebookings during IRROPS, where they have more wiggle room with fare class availability.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by rikramer
I've also noticed that I only now clear the within T-24 hours. The T-100 hour upgrade hasn't been seen a very long time. the above quote is troublesome. Is this typical where AA sells F seats at OLCI before elites have cleared? I thought it was AA's official position that OLCI $ upgrades only occurred in situations where the upgrade waitlist was empty. This would be a HUGE deal if this changed.
As I recall the discussion on here when LFBU launched was that AA's 'official position' was that LFBU would only be offered when AA 'expected to have enough F seats to fulfill all on the upgrade list' - not that all on the upgrade list had in fact already been upgraded. Therefore a no-status pax accepting LFBU at online checkin at T-24 followed by a IRROP where paid pax move into the F cabin could result in those on the upgrade list not be accommodated when non-elites had been. But was supposed to be the exception, not the rule.

An example post I was recalling can be found here.

Last edited by Madison Guy; May 20, 2015 at 2:01 pm Reason: Added reference
Old May 20, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Upgrade window for my flight on Sunday opened almost 10 hrs ago w/not a single seat taken up front, but upgrade has not cleared.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
If I may give my recent experience, it may shed some light, or bring more confusion....

Original booking had two flights. SFO-LAX-DEN. Both operated on ERJ-175.
LAX-DEN clears at T-100. SFO-LAX does not. The seat map for either never shows up and instead of the usual aisle seat as my profile indicates is my preference, I've been assigned a window seat. Cannot change online, but see on EF that appart from me, only one other seat is taken, so I call to get an aisle seat.

Day of, I decide to move to a earlier flights. Upgrade for the first one clears within minutes. The second one does not, but I had been given 4C. As it turns out, 4C does not exist on the former US CR9 flying that route.
Online it shows I don't have a seat. Flagship lounge can't print a new boarding pass after telling me I'm in 8C.
At the gate, still shows I am in Y with no seat. Yet the gate agent has already a new BP printed with 2A.

So, IMHO, it seems there's a lot of IT issues with the merger, and the upgrade system may be one of the casualties. Nothing to worry too much about yet.
Old May 21, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
I really hope it's an IT problem that can be fixed soon. On AA 2493 this morning MIA-SJU and have not cleared nor even on the upgrade list. This happened to my wife Saturday ORD-SJU. Even after requesting to be added to the upgrade list her name never appeared on the screen nor the app; hope to have better luck and resolve this when I get to MIA
Old May 21, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by txrus
Upgrade window for my flight on Sunday opened almost 10 hrs ago w/not a single seat taken up front, but upgrade has not cleared.
Same thing happened to me last week, except this was at the GLD window and there was STILL only two take up front. Didn't end up clearing until T-3 or so. In retrospect, I wish it hadn't cleared.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Welcome to our world (UA version). AA, like UA before it, wants to sell the seats rather than give them away.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Welcome to our world (UA version). AA, like UA before it, wants to sell the seats rather than give them away.
Except that they don't even do that. UA sells TODs before upgrades clear, I'm not aware of AA doing the same. DL uses FCM to offer F deeply discounted, AA doesn't do this either. They're holding back upgrades in the event 14 people decide to buy full F tickets day of departure on flights like DFW-MCO.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:56 am

My upgrade cleared on 187 BOS - ORD, situation referenced in a post above, at T-5 along with 5 other people. The cabin went F7 to F1 in an instant.
Old May 21, 2015, 5:32 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by brp
Our flights this weekend SFO-ORD-LGA cleared at exactly 100 hours. I had seat alerts set in EF, so was prepared t be awoken around 3:50AM. As it is, I woke up at 3:48 AM, went to the computer, watched them clear into our split-for-upgrade-purposes records, canceled the alerts, rearranged seats and went back to bed.

I expect the return to clear at 100 hours as well.

This has not generally been the rule of late.

Cheers.
1 if 2 legs on the return (LGA-ORD) cleared right at 100 hours. The return has not cleared. This is also a Holiday weekend.

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
1 if 2 legs on the return (LGA-ORD) cleared right at 100 hours. The return has not cleared. This is also a Holiday weekend.

Cheers.
Holiday weekends in my experience are some of the easiest times to clear year-round.
Old May 21, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cmd320
They're holding back upgrades in the event 14 people decide to buy full F tickets day of departure on flights like DFW-MCO.
Well, that's exactly what happened on my LAS-DFW redeye last week. F almost completely open until ~2 hours before flight time, then poof! Almost all sold. Only #1 on the upgrade list got upgraded (I was #2 ).
Old May 21, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by BSBD
Well, that's exactly what happened on my LAS-DFW redeye last week. F almost completely open until ~2 hours before flight time, then poof! Almost all sold. Only #1 on the upgrade list got upgraded (I was #2 ).
"Almost completely open..." based on what? Seatmap? What they will sell? (Only can see up to F7 with tools like EF.) Or using actual loads based on tools not generally available to the public?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.