Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions
Upgrade peculiarities and anomalies through 16 Oct / prior to CSS / PSS merger
Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

See Elite status benefits" on aa.com, in particular upgrade benefits on AA and US by status.

"Our combined loyalty program" on aa.com. In particular:

Upgrades

Now that we’ve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Now that we’ve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Learn more about elite upgrades

To make sure you’re eligible for elite upgrades, you should book flights that are marketed and operated by the same airline – either US Airways or American. If you’re booked on a codeshare flight, you’ll only be able to upgrade when you check in, and as always, upgrades are based on availability.

To summarize:
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + AA operated = OK
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + US operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + AA operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on US.com + AA flight number + AA operated = Impossible, no AA-marketed flights sold on US.com

How to book flights marketed and operated by the same airline

See the Major Merger Updated >13 March thread for upgrades updates: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...dates-etc.html (full cross-airline upgrade compatibility will occur "later this year" when the SHARES PSS has been merged into Sabre. [/hl]Until then AA and US recommend not booking each other's codeshares with intent to upgrade.[/hl]

This is the merged, master thread about securing upgrades in the "merged AA but still operating as separate airlines" when flying with mixed ticketing, the "other" airline than the one with the flyer's frequent flyer program or status, etc. As it is a merged thread, there may be some thread discontinuity; we apologise for any difficulties.

The information below reflects the wiki in AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Thanks to FT member ashill for valuable contributions to this wiki.

Print Wikipost

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by bcm0830
I have been reading here to try to see how many folks feel they were shorted MM miles from US to AA when the conversion took place. I have a close friend that has been CP for 10 years, which would mean he achieves minimum 100K miles/year (butt in seat), but he only got 300K MM miles added from US to AA. From what I understand, US has not been keeping track of MM miles forever. Does anyone know when they started tracking? Also, I understand that US did count any Star Alliance activity toward MM status, which seems very stingy. In the end, he may have had 15-20% of his flights on Star Alliance carriers, but not 70%. He has not had any luck with customer service in having his MM numbers reevaluated. Are any others going through the same issue?
Yes, others have the same issue, myself included. There is zero chance anything will be done to fix it. This was a conscious decision by US/AA. pmAA was way bigger than pmUS and the net effect was a relatively small group.

It would have been relatively easy to include US activity from partners, credit card, etc. to make it line up closer with pmAA folks (at least for the past few years), but a decision was clearly made to not do that.
Old May 8, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: NW/DL Plat->Gold->Silver, AA EXP 1MM
Upgrades at the 100 hr window as EXP on US?

Allegedly can book US metal on the U.S. site, or via phone, and using EXP number, be eligible for upgrades at the usual EXP window

Has anyone had success with this?
Old May 8, 2015, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Yes, others have the same issue, myself included. There is zero chance anything will be done to fix it. This was a conscious decision by US/AA. pmAA was way bigger than pmUS and the net effect was a relatively small group.

It would have been relatively easy to include US activity from partners, credit card, etc. to make it line up closer with pmAA folks (at least for the past few years), but a decision was clearly made to not do that.
As you point out-- zero chance that will happen or was ever gonna happen (the bolded.)

But, unless I'm mistaken, the post you're responding to covers in it's other part an entirely different issue, based on:

has been CP for 10 years, which would mean he achieves minimum 100K miles/year (butt in seat), but he only got 300K MM miles added from US to AA.

...I understand that US did count any Star Alliance activity toward MM status,

...In the end, he may have had 15-20% of his flights on Star Alliance carriers, but not 70%.
There was another thread that had a member (or maybe even several) who -seemed- to have been shorted similarly-- although that one was very convoluted.

EDIT to add: this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...am-merger.html

Last edited by JonNYC; May 8, 2015 at 4:39 pm
Old May 8, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
HEADS UP--your automatic domestic upgrade registration may not be working

A cautionary tale. I found out today that the reason I had not been upgraded on a flight next week (EXP so complimentary) was that the computer decided that my fare class (S) was not eligible for an upgrade so it did not put me on the waitlist for upgrades. The EXP desk said they had never seen this before and there is no reason for it as any paid fare class is eligible for an upgrade.
I had booked this flight on AA.com and my flight reservation said complimentary upgrade requested (even though I was not on the list). I asked the EXP desk agent to check the rest of my itinerary and one of my two return flights was in the same situation (fare class not eligible) but she fixed that problem. I asked her what was to prevent this from happening again and she said she would report it to IT. I asked if I should check my future flights if not upgraded as expected and she said it would be a good idea.

Bottom line--check your upgrades

Last edited by silver springer; May 8, 2015 at 9:56 pm Reason: typo
Old May 9, 2015, 5:29 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by NWAOldtimer
Allegedly can book US metal on the U.S. site, or via phone, and using EXP number, be eligible for upgrades at the usual EXP window

Has anyone had success with this?
Ummmmm... yes? If you book a US ticket (037 ticket) on US-operated metal and use your AAdvantage number you will be UG eligible at your UG window. You might not get upgraded (the inventory has to be available) but you will be eligible.
Old May 9, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: NW/DL Plat->Gold->Silver, AA EXP 1MM
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Ummmmm... yes? If you book a US ticket (037 ticket) on US-operated metal and use your AAdvantage number you will be UG eligible at your UG window. You might not get upgraded (the inventory has to be available) but you will be eligible.
Thanks. Looking forward to the trial which arrives early June on US flights which look wide open in first, at least for now
Old May 10, 2015, 9:35 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by MarkP24
As I don't have Expert Flyer, I'd like to use the website. Does anyone know if it shows availability for US flights?
Yes we do: http://www.expertflyer.com/sessionlessClassList.do
Old May 10, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
Thanks, I guess I hadn't looked at the codes for quite some time, but these codes are now the same as AA, so easy to understand.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:10 am

Miles + CoPay: Unavailable on USAirways Codeshare!

Don't see any other threads on this...

Trying to upgrade a couple family members on a USAirways flight, bought on AA.com (so marketed by AA), so essentially a USAirways codeshare. Note this is the 2nd leg of an itinerary, with the first leg an AA metal flight.

AA reservations is saying that, despite 'A' inventory being available, one can't use miles + copay since it's a codeshare. They could reticket it as a USAirways flight for $121 + $200 change fee.

There's no reference to this on the AAdvantage website in the upgrade section.

Not sure if this is a technical limitation, or just one of those rules that American decided to put in place for no apparent reason.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by dave_261
I would say that the sentence

Mileage upgrades awards are not applicable on codeshare flights.
is pretty comprehensive (though grammatically erroneous). https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...rade-chart.jsp
Old May 11, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by jridge
I would say that the sentence

is pretty comprehensive (though grammatically erroneous). https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...rade-chart.jsp
You do wonder though if the use of the term "codeshare" for AA/US flights is actually that legitimate given that they now operate under a single FAA certificate. They don't refer to Eagle flights as codeshares of the various regional operating carriers for example.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
You do wonder though if the use of the term "codeshare" for AA/US flights is actually that legitimate given that they now operate under a single FAA certificate. They don't refer to Eagle flights as codeshares of the various regional operating carriers for example.
Completely legitimate.

As they've been telling us for a couple of months, codeshare upgrades across AA / US can't be done until +/- October, when US reservations (HP QIK / SHARES) moves to AA Sabre.

There is a lengthy thread:

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads), where we'll likely merge this.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Here is my dilemma. I booked thru my corporate TA, Concur. The only way I was able to get this flight connection Wednesday was to book as US Airways, it is actually AA 1533 on AA metal and it is a 738 (so their is a first). Showing not offered for upgrade request yet on the second leg, that automatically requested for me.

I wasn't even able to change my seat on the first leg, sent me to US Airways, then US Air site sent me back to AA. Finally had to call Ex. Plat desk rep who also had difficulty. HUCA, this time the agent was able to pick me a decent seat. But could not submit upgrade request. Why does it show not offered when its AA metal? I anticipate when I try and check in tomorrow, it won't let me have the option of upgrading.

Flight Details Upgrade Required Request Upgrade?

1533 Depart: Miami ( MIA )
Arrive: Washington ( DCA ) Not Offered N/A

4367 Depart: Washington ( DCA )
Arrive: St Louis ( STL ) Complimentary US logo Requested
Old May 11, 2015, 10:34 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by dave_261

Not sure if this is a technical limitation, or just one of those rules that American decided to put in place for no apparent reason.
The first sentence in the upgrade link is fairly clear:
Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, American Eagle, US Airways, US Airways Express, and/or US Airways Shuttle for yourself or anyone you designate.

Interpretation: You must be on a flight marketed and operated by the airline flying the segment.

But to add further clarification, the restriction on codeshares is also pretty clearly stated in the first bullet point of the Terms and Conditions at the bottom of the mileage upgrade page (as jridge pointed out)
Old May 11, 2015, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by PHL
The first sentence in the upgrade link is fairly clear:
Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, American Eagle, US Airways, US Airways Express, and/or US Airways Shuttle for yourself or anyone you designate.

Interpretation: You must be on a flight marketed and operated by the airline flying the segment.

But to add further clarification, the restriction on codeshares is also pretty clearly stated in the first bullet point of the Terms and Conditions at the bottom of the mileage upgrade page (as jridge pointed out)

OK thanks for the link. I guess I read it based on my hopeful interpretation... my flight is, in fact, marketed by and operated by one of the airlines listed- just not the same one.

Sometimes it seems like AA should be able to put on the 'common sense' hat and make exceptions, but I understand that they'd be making exceptions by the minute.

Oh well- I guess we'll get there soon enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.