FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1543634-aa-us-cross-program-merged-ffp-upgrade-questions-merged-threads.html)

Gina2003 Jan 20, 2014 5:33 pm

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

The AAdvanatage office is closed today due to MLK day. In the past, I would buy the cheapest AA fare and then call AA and use 15,000 miles+ $75 each way to upgrade to 1st class (domestic). Do you know, if that option still exists - a look at the website and I may now need to buy a certain fare to be eligible to upgrade?

On the flip side, I'm USAirways Silver Preferred - and not sure how that works on AA flights and if I should "take my chances" at getting a free upgrade. The itinerary I'm looking at is Bos/DFW/PSP on AA and PSP/PHX/BOs on US. Any advice?

Thanks

Sam I Am Jan 20, 2014 5:37 pm

Upgrade AA reso with miles vs US Silver

Currently, US Preferred (any level) do not get upgrades on AA flights. (Except for the ability to select MCE free of charge)

tegelad Jan 20, 2014 6:04 pm

FYI ... I tried to do something similar (buy US Air ticket and upgrade via AA miles ....) and that won't go ... it is a full earn and burn method only no upgrade instruments ....

+-ADT

dtremit Jan 20, 2014 11:00 pm

I don't believe there's any way to upgrade AA flights with US miles (or vice versa) yet -- but I suspect it should be possible to upgrade AA flights with AA miles and credit the flights to US (and vice versa).

Can anyone confirm?

Gina2003 Jan 21, 2014 8:54 am

Same upgrade process exists with AA. I was able to book my flights (AA), then called and for $150, 30K miles..upgraded entire reservation. It's a chore getting to an actual person but the call-back service works great. I did confirm you can earn miles in any program (US or AA) and can update reservation to reflect.

TrojanHorse Jan 21, 2014 10:30 am

Please don't mind me

I am just here trying to see what a "reso" is LOL

IzzyL Jan 21, 2014 2:38 pm

When can I upgrade an AA flight with US Airways DMiles?

I have searched and not sure about the possible answer. I need to book a flight on AA but would like to upgrade with my US Airways miles. The flight will be in July, if that matters.
Thanks!

JDiver Jan 21, 2014 3:05 pm

After it is announced by the airline?

Meaning not yet, Marie, not yet. ;)

Superguy Jan 22, 2014 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 22196676)
After it is announced by the airline?

Meaning not yet, Marie, not yet. ;)

So I take it if we wanted to work out a swap with someone for AA miles and US miles to upgrade the appropriate flight, it's something we'd have to take to CC?

IzzyL Jan 22, 2014 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 22202630)
So I take it if we wanted to work out a swap with someone for AA miles and US miles to upgrade the appropriate flight, it's something we'd have to take to CC?

Hmmm, now that's an interesting thought!

swag Jan 23, 2014 10:10 am

Mixing AA/US roundtrip: how to upgrade?

Looking at a DFW-CLT-DFW roundtrip. Choosing flight times, my first choice would put me on AA for the outbound, US for the return. As a 25K elite on both airlines, I'd like to try to upgrade both directions.

Booking 2 one-ways would cost a lot more in this case.

Can I put my AA number on the reservation, fly the outbound, then call to switch numbers? Any other ideas?

tank089 Jan 23, 2014 6:27 pm

yep. that should work, as the USDM T&C only remove CPUs if you switch USDM number out.

greyguy1 Feb 6, 2014 12:32 am

Flying a US flight on AA metal. Use AA or BA status? Upgrade options?

New to AA.

Tomorrow flying BCN-JFK-SAN-DFW on flights ticketed by US.
Operated by and flight numbers are AA.

Gold status with AA, emerald with BA.

Any benefit putting BA FF number instead of AA?
What are my paid upgrade options?
If buying an upgrade at airport do you get cabin bonus, etc. if crediting to AA?

I have already picked my MCE seats free.

Thanks in advance for your time!

BoeingBoy Feb 6, 2014 1:50 am

The only possible wrinkle I can see is that sometimes the ticketing carriers rules apply and since US in not a member of OW yet it could cause problems with using your BA number. But if you do it at the airport, the AA agents should be able to credit your miles to either AA or BA as you prefer.

As for whether there are more benefits crediting to AA or BA, I'll leave that to others since I'm still learning about AA's program and know nothing about BA's.

Jim

LSUTigerWes Feb 6, 2014 11:23 am

There are no upgrade options available to you as your ticket is booked as a codeshare.

You do not receive a class of service bonus on paid upgrades at the airport.