Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
NRT-DFW-BOS..

Hi there,

I was upgraded NRT-DFW from Y (C class upgrade) using SWU. EF shows
F2 A1 for DFW-BOS but the agent does not see it. Any ideas ?

F.A.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2.3 MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, recovering UA Premier
I was recently flying MIA-NYC. My original booking to LGA cleared at T-100. When I arrived at the airport 7 hours early (customer canceled a meeting on me), I did a CFC to an earlier flight. Although there was one seat and I was the only person on the upgrade list, it didn't clear until boarding started. So, I guess I had both experiences on the same trip!
Old May 21, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
I think it's just screwed up somehow.

(A very technical descriptor for the situation, I know.)

I usually fly out of COU, a little speck of an airport. We now have CR7s and First Class seats (so to speak). I always get upgraded to/from COU. For my flight tomorrow COU-DEN (5 F seats showing open), I have not been upgraded yet. However, for my DFW-DEN flight (3 F seats showing open prior) I was upgraded at T-24.

Exactly this kind of incongruous upgrade thing has been happening to me a lot lately, but without any discernable pattern. Maybe AA is so sophisticated that it's all on-target behind the scenes. Or maybe this, like a few other things, is an unintended hiccup that has occurred as things "evolve" (or whatever you call what is happening).

Last edited by dia1; May 22, 2015 at 6:34 am Reason: Typo
Old May 21, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
"Almost completely open..." based on what? Seatmap? What they will sell? (Only can see up to F7 with tools like EF.) Or using actual loads based on tools not generally available to the public?
Based on what the TA told me while looking at her computer screen.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by BSBD
Well, that's exactly what happened on my LAS-DFW redeye last week. F almost completely open until ~2 hours before flight time, then poof! Almost all sold. Only #1 on the upgrade list got upgraded (I was #2 ).
"Almost completely open..." based on what? Seatmap? What they will sell? (Only can see up to F7 with tools like EF.) Or using actual loads based on tools not generally available to the public?
Based on what the TA told me while looking at her computer screen.
Hard to say what the reference frame may have been at that point, but I'm 99.99% a huge percentage of F seats where NOT SOLD at T-2. Perhaps a group with reservations and no seats assignments checked-in, but without more info, I do not have the access to tell. (Some on here can - for a specified flight that happened within the last few days.)
Old May 21, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Update...

Originally Posted by flyalways
Hi there,

I was upgraded NRT-DFW from Y (C class upgrade) using SWU. EF shows
F2 A1 for DFW-BOS but the agent does not see it. Any ideas ?

F.A.
Called AA after an hour. EF still showed F2 A1. This time an agent used the
statement "squeezed me into it" and got me the upgrade in A space.
Very weird that the first two AA agents could not do it an hour back while
this one could !!! Still out of 24 hours window by the way...

Any ideas ?

F.A.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hard to say what the reference frame may have been at that point, but I'm 99.99% a huge percentage of F seats where NOT SOLD at T-2. Perhaps a group with reservations and no seats assignments checked-in, but without more info, I do not have the access to tell. (Some on here can - for a specified flight that happened within the last few days.)
You are, of course, free to speculate all you want. Have at it.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, Marriott Lifetime PLT
I mean hey, if it makes anyone feel better, I cleared today after boeding, and my bag is still back over row 22
Old May 21, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dlflyer2
No need to pontificate. It does matter. It matters for seat choice, meal choice and it is an integral part of the program.
It is becoming a pattern and it matters enough that I would choose UA over AA on the same route for the ability to upgrade.
Bwahaha. Unless you're buying F outright or at minimum Y/B fares for insta upgrades, you can virtually forget about upgrades on UA unless you either fly to airports like FLL or HNL or on one of the few routes where UA still protects its revenue premium.

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Welcome to our world (UA version). AA, like UA before it, wants to sell the seats rather than give them away.
Bingo.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Except that they don't even do that. UA sells TODs before upgrades clear, I'm not aware of AA doing the same. DL uses FCM to offer F deeply discounted, AA doesn't do this either. They're holding back upgrades in the event 14 people decide to buy full F tickets day of departure on flights like DFW-MCO.
UA is also doing its version of FCM. Plus TODs.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Well, that's exactly what happened on my LAS-DFW redeye last week. F almost completely open until ~2 hours before flight time, then poof! Almost all sold. Only #1 on the upgrade list got upgraded (I was #2 ).
Same exact thing happened to me on DFW-MCO. I'm curious if it's just tons of non-revs or what the deal is.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by malexander131
I mean hey, if it makes anyone feel better, I cleared today after boeding, and my bag is still back over row 22
Glad you cleared. Hope you can fetch your bag before you land. Hate to think you'd have to swim up stream when everyone is deplaning.

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Based on EF, my flight was F7, A0, P0 at T-24, something I had never seen up until then.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by msv777
Glad you cleared. Hope you can fetch your bag before you land. Hate to think you'd have to swim up stream when everyone is deplaning.

Cheers.
I did! In the words of Kevin McAllister's mom, you feel like a heel flying first class with all the kids back in coach

On a somewhat related note, how can one check AA upgrade inventory in Expertflyer (if at all?) US has a selection for upgrade inventory class but I can only find AA awards...
Old May 21, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by malexander131
I did! In the words of Kevin McAllister's mom, you feel like a heel flying first class with all the kids back in coach

On a somewhat related note, how can one check AA upgrade inventory in Expertflyer (if at all?) US has a selection for upgrade inventory class but I can only find AA awards...
You can't find comp upgrade inventory in EF. They took that away a couple of years ago.

Cheers.
Old May 22, 2015, 2:35 am

Programs: WFBF
Well, the US side seems to work. Doing MCI-CLT-LHR on Tuesday (used the final CP certs to upgrade the TATL), and upgrade for MCI-CLT just cleared.

Of course, I'm going to try to switch to an earlier flight into CLT since I've got a tight connection, but at least the US side of the operation still seems to have an upgrade window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.