Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Platinum, Packer Owner
Second flight not upgraded

Friday I am flying EWR-DFW, DFW-SAN. The first flight cleared at T-100, the second flight has not, despite more seats being available in First than were empty on the first flight.

I am a (former) US Chairman who is just getting used to how AA handles Exec Platinum upgrades. Is this the norm?
Old May 26, 2015, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by NJTraveler
Friday I am flying EWR-DFW, DFW-SAN. The first flight cleared at T-100, the second flight has not, despite more seats being available in First than were empty on the first flight.

I am a (former) US Chairman who is just getting used to how AA handles Exec Platinum upgrades. Is this the norm?
From what I've been reading that's the new norm. It used to be both segments would clear at T-100 of the first flight and those connecting had priority over those originating at DFW. Now it seems like AA is holding inventory until much later in the game hoping for last minute purchases. T-24 as OLCI occurs should be the next milestone that may get your upgrade processed. Then T-4 once the flight goes to airport control. Finally at boarding, the last of the upgrades possible should be processed. It has made traveling much more challenging than everything clearing at T-100.

Frequently checking your rez and seeing what seats are presented and/or using the app to monitor the upgrade list is other actions you might want to consider.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Platinum, Packer Owner
Originally Posted by RogerD408
From what I've been reading that's the new norm. It used to be both segments would clear at T-100 of the first flight and those connecting had priority over those originating at DFW. Now it seems like AA is holding inventory until much later in the game hoping for last minute purchases. T-24 as OLCI occurs should be the next milestone that may get your upgrade processed. Then T-4 once the flight goes to airport control. Finally at boarding, the last of the upgrades possible should be processed. It has made traveling much more challenging than everything clearing at T-100.

Frequently checking your rez and seeing what seats are presented and/or using the app to monitor the upgrade list is other actions you might want to consider.
Thanks for the Intel, it is much appreciated.
Old May 27, 2015, 5:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If AA is going to hold upgrades back later, it would be nice of selecting entrees could be done later too. As of now, if your upgrade clears after T-24 you can't select an entree. Maybe change it to T-12? T-6?
Old May 27, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 times in the last 3 weeks, the husband(EXP) has been #1 on the upgrade list and had someone else come up as #1 in the last hour before departure. And only 1 person cleared. So frustrating. Used to be if he was #1 at 4 hours out and there was one seat for sale I was pretty sure he'd get it.
Old May 27, 2015, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
3 times in the last 3 weeks, the husband(EXP) has been #1 on the upgrade list and had someone else come up as #1 in the last hour before departure. And only 1 person cleared. So frustrating. Used to be if he was #1 at 4 hours out and there was one seat for sale I was pretty sure he'd get it.
Yes, the game is different now. With any luck things will settle out once the merger is complete and the new rules will be evident.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Yes, the game is different now. With any luck things will settle out once the merger is complete and the new rules will be evident.
What "new rules"?
Old May 27, 2015, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed, the rules are the same for AA elites (which everyone is now) on AA flights. However upgrade percentage is worse in 2015 for any year since I started tracking about 8 years ago. (72% on "sticker" upgrades)
Old May 27, 2015, 7:11 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Agreed, the rules are the same for AA elites (which everyone is now) on AA flights. However upgrade percentage is worse in 2015 for any year since I started tracking about 8 years ago. (72% on "sticker" upgrades)
We are at 100% for the year for at least one of us. For both of us, we've missed just once in 20 attempts. Since getting two is considerably harder, I track percentages based on "at least one." So, same for us as usual.

Cheers.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
If AA is going to hold upgrades back later, it would be nice of selecting entrees could be done later too. As of now, if your upgrade clears after T-24 you can't select an entree. Maybe change it to T-12? T-6?
Completely agree. This is the primary reason I would care about an upgrade clearing earlier.

The funny thing for me is that clearing on US flights seems to be incredibly easy. GLD + companion cleared at the 48 hour window on a two segment trip. Return looks almost as easy too. Are there really that few elites flying US metal? If so, it's a great deal for GLD/PLT with no stickers involved and longer windows.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm at 92% so far this year. Getting harder as we get into the summer travel season - I was 100% through the end of March.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
As a paid international J traveler, who often has trouble finding an F seat on the domestic leg if I change my plans last minute, I would prefer that upgrades not clear until just before boarding.

Nothing is more frustrating than having to ride in Y after a long flight when you are entitled to an F seat, but people have been upgraded.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Originally Posted by brp
We are at 100% for the year for at least one of us. For both of us, we've missed just once in 20 attempts. Since getting two is considerably harder, I track percentages based on "at least one." So, same for us as usual.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by BSBD
I'm at 92% so far this year. Getting harder as we get into the summer travel season - I was 100% through the end of March.
I don't think this thread is about upgrade clearance rates, rather OP was suggesting upgrades are clearing less often at the usual windows.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Arsey00
I don't think this thread is about upgrade clearance rates, rather OP was suggesting upgrades are clearing less often at the usual windows.
I would be very surprised if everyone reported they were clearing later, but percentages remained the same.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:29 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Arsey00
The post I responded to was explicitly about percentages, so I responded with percentage,

I would be very surprised if everyone reported they were clearing later, but percentages remained the same.
We're, on average, clearing later, but our upgrade percentage is the same

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.