Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I had to be re-booked last week in the FL @ JFK, and before the agent could reissue my ticket, the upgrades on the domestic legs had already cleared. The agent noted this and said something about there being a "new system."
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Interesting about the "new system". I'm under T-4 and it doesn't look like a single upgrade has cleared. I'm now #1 on the upgrade list with 11 open seats. I've never seen so many open seats with an upgraded not cleared this close to departure.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I had to be re-booked last week in the FL @ JFK, and before the agent could reissue my ticket, the upgrades on the domestic legs had already cleared. The agent noted this and said something about there being a "new system."
I highly doubt there's new IT in place. Perhaps she just meant the "new AA," and there's nothing new about upgrades clearing immediately after booking if there's no one else on the upgrade list and 'X' inventory is available.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by britz
Interesting about the "new system". I'm under T-4 and it doesn't look like a single upgrade has cleared. I'm now #1 on the upgrade list with 11 open seats. I've never seen so many open seats with an upgraded not cleared this close to departure.
It was a busy flying week for me, and I also noticed upgrades being held even later than usual on most routes, even those which typically aren't that elite-heavy. There did still seem to be the typical list sweep down to F1 just prior to T-4, though, rather than making everyone wait until the gate.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:51 am

Well upgrade cleared just under T-3, weird. I wonder if the same thing will happen for my Sunday flight. First is practically empty and no upgrades have cleared yet.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:09 pm

I have noticed the upgrade window has closed too. I'm Exec Plat and had 6 flights this week, non of them had been cleared until just before departure. When I do clear, AA is placing me in a bulkhead seat (which I hate) with no ability to move my seat as all other seats have been populated w/ other upgrades.

Tonight, I have a FULLY REFUNDABLE Y (I purchased weeks ago) class 7:45PM flight out of SAT to DFW. I have always been upgraded in the T-100 or at least T-48 time frame due to class of ticket AND status however, as of 1PM the 1st class cabin if completely empty and I have not been upgraded.

In addition, I have a Sunday (6/19) 5:05PM flight from DFW to MIA Y class booked weeks ago with only 5 seats currently taken in a cabin of 40 seats and I have not cleared.

Due to the number of flights I had this week & the DFW-MIA flight on Sunday, I contact AA Exec Plat desk and voiced my concerns with the issues stated above. Of course, they were worthless in providing any information but patched me through to IT Help Desk. Yeah... that was worthless too as the poor girl had not a clue what I was talking about as she was only the "gatekeeper" (i.e. give me your information and I will send it on to IT).

American Airlines - On the path to lead the race to the bottom!
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I think we should be asking if anyone has cleared at T-100 this week...Anywhere, any flight...
Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:40 pm
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by nk15
I think we should be asking if anyone has cleared at T-100 this week...Anywhere, any flight...
Not me though I expected to. I was on RSW/DCA booked over a month ago. F7, A7, P7 and 10 seats open and I did not clear until T-24. DCA/ORD the next day I cleared at the gate. I agree that something is up.

On a somewhat related topic, I was told that waitlisting for A inventory using either miles or SWU does not move you ahead of the complementary upgrade list once it gets to T-4. I was told this is something that was new as of about 6 weeks ago. I never saw any announcement but perhaps I missed it.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by wjj
On a somewhat related topic, I was told that waitlisting for A inventory using either miles or SWU does not move you ahead of the complementary upgrade list once it gets to T-4. I was told this is something that was new as of about 6 weeks ago. I never saw any announcement but perhaps I missed it.
It depends on how you're waitlisted. If your entire ticket is booked in coach, and you're waiting for a SWU or miles/copay upgrade, there's no waitlist priority above regular UPG upgrades. That isn't new as of six weeks ago (unless I've completely lost my mind) -- it's been that way for at least the last few years, although it's something FTers have frequently discussed in the past and still results in confusion (see VIP1 vs. UPG1 priority answer? [Not really]).

On the other hand, if you're on a multi-segment itinerary and at least one other segment has already cleared into 'A' inventory, you're technically ticketed in First at that point, so you should be listed as RF rather than UPG on the PALL list (at least this is how most airport agents handle it in practice -- whether it's official policy, I have no idea) -- that would, in fact, move you ahead of anyone listed for a complimentary upgrade.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by nk15
I did today MIA/ORD a 763 flight that's usually difficult to clear even as an EXP.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:30 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

More to do with the strong US economy, aggressive F fares which leads to more people buying F seats. A few years ago, AA was one of those airlines where F fares were a significant premium over Y fares across the board.

With AA, when I am aiming for complimentary upgrades, I think I am in the 40-50% success rate ballpark. As a matter of fact I am typing this from 8F on PIT-PHX right now and my connecting flight has not cleared either.

Such is life, free food, free woodford, no complaints. I am working 90% of the time when I am flying, so I don't really notice much whether I am in F or Y.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We're on LAX-DCA 48 hours out, why hasn't it cleared yet??? Oh, because there's no seats.

I'm stunned by the number of people on flights with wide open F cabins.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 5:43 pm

Makes sense not to clear on elite heavy routes/ when F is full. But when it's practically entirely open and no seats clear? That's weird. Smf-dfw isn't particularly elite heavy. I cleared at T-3 along with one other person. 10 people cleared at the gate. Seems odd- it's not uncommon to see 1-3 people clear at the gate on this route but 10 Is a lot. Flying LAX - DFW and vice versa I don't expect F unless I pay or clear it on a SWU months ahead of time.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
Flying MEM-DFW and then DFW-MKE on Sunday and still no upgrade.

MEM-DFW has 14 open First Class seats and DFW-MKE has 15 open first class seats...

Whats the deal? do they really think they can sell 14 seats in one day for a Sunday flight?
Old Jun 17, 2016, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by conklaven
Whats the deal? do they really think they can sell 14 seats in one day for a Sunday flight?
No, but if you bother to read the thread, you'll see several reasons that they might be doing this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.