Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
AA Upgrade Window for AAdvantage Elites

The "upgrade window" is the time during which an upgrade may be granted to statusholders. The "upgrade window" for AAdvantage Elites varies upon elite status held.
In 2017:
  • ConciergeKey - 120 hours

• Executive Platinum - 100 hours

• Platinum Pro - 72 hours

• Platinum - 48 hours

• Gold - 24 hours

• Non-elite - no upgrade window
In fact, statusholders may be upgraded days prior to the opening of the upgrade window, even in 2017.

Conversely, higher load factors, Revenue Management predictions and actions, flight route, season, demand, supply and other factors all affect the availability of upgrade seats and when any seats might be made available to upgrade. AA has tightened upgrade availability over the recent years, but planning leading to significantly higher load factors has been undoubtedly been a major factor in upgrade "tightness" to the point even upper tier elites who get upgraded may do so airside at the gate counter.
Print Wikipost

Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by brp
We're, on average, clearing later, but our upgrade percentage is the same

Cheers.
Me too. I'm still at 100% this year, but the upgrades are definitely clearing later, on average. Seems like there has to be at least 12 open F seats (out of a typical 16) for there to be any chance an upgrade will clear at the window.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
My MSY-ORD morning flight cleared at the window (midweek).

Evening MSY-ORD flight never clears until ~T-4 or at the airport.

I guess RM has fine-tuned the UG List on this route. AA has to make money.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by PresRDC
As a paid international J traveler, who often has trouble finding an F seat on the domestic leg if I change my plans last minute, I would prefer that upgrades not clear until just before boarding.

Nothing is more frustrating than having to ride in Y after a long flight when you are entitled to an F seat, but people have been upgraded.
Agree on this and have been hit with it a couple of times.

On the other hand, I'm sitting at a measly 58% success rate this year (but 83% on "upgrades that matter" which I define as flights over 500mi). Part of the dismal upgrade rate for me is on LAX-SFO flights that tend to be the ones that are timed to connect with QF and are filled with premium QF pax.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by brewdog11
My MSY-ORD morning flight cleared at the window (midweek).

Evening MSY-ORD flight never clears until ~T-4 or at the airport.

I guess RM has fine-tuned the UG List on this route. AA has to make money.
I am sure that Tyrone will take care of you!
Old May 29, 2015, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dallas49er
I am sure that Tyrone will take care of you!
I know he will! I look forward to seeing him whenever I'm going out of MSY!
Old May 29, 2015, 3:14 pm

Something to be aware of - lately I've had several upgrades clear in advance, but the email was never sent. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't checked the reservation.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I was used to T-72 on MIA-SDQ as a plat, T-24 on days when the flight was highly booked in J. Now at T-4 or at the gate.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by nall
Something to be aware of - lately I've had several upgrades clear in advance, but the email was never sent. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't checked the reservation.
I find the emails to be hit-or-miss, maybe even moreso than in the past. I got the email at the window time on my last upgrade, but sometimes I've gotten them either a) after the flight, or b) not at all.
Old May 30, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
On a pair of US flights on Monday, upgrades cleared at 60+ hours out.
Old May 30, 2015, 4:02 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
For my flight on 6/1/15 from ORD to LGA my upg cleared at T-100.
I'm waiting for my first flt. NRT to ORD from Y to J to clear. EF is showing lots of 7's (J7 especially), the seat map has 16 empty seats at 7:00 am on 5/31/15 NRT time, I've gotten no notification from EF and on aa.com the tell-tail sign "we cannot access your reservation" is not there.
'Follow-up at 5:24 pm NRT time. I called EXP line, my UPG from NRT did clear (no notifications from EF, no indication on AA,com "we cannot..".)
But under the parameters I noted above, its "rediculous" for them to hold out this long.
Further follow-up, as I was typing my previous follow-up, I received an email from EF, that my alert showed at least one C class seat was available.

Last edited by nrr; May 31, 2015 at 2:59 am
Old May 31, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
321T is unique because there's real demand for last-minute premium cabin bookings.
Not to mention last minute changes. Not sure what the ratio is of seats needed to accommodate last minute bookings to seats needed to accommodate last minute changes but the latter has the potential to require the return of revenue already collected.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
offered a paid upgrade to 1st with no status

I was checking my mom is for her trip from PBI-DFW and when I tried changing her seat a notification popped up offering a paid upgrade to first. My mom travels on AA maybe 2-3 times a year so she has no status.
I told my husband who is an exp that's probably why AA is holding back upgrades until the last minute because why not sell a seat in first instead of giving it away.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dfwtravelgirl
I told my husband who is an exp that's probably why AA is holding back upgrades until the last minute because why not sell a seat in first instead of giving it away.
No, that's most definitely not the case.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:20 pm

JFK-CUN cleared 20 mins ago for 6PM EST flight (T-100) for me and companion. Got the email about a minute or so later.

Last edited by nyczreklis; Jun 1, 2015 at 4:27 pm
Old Jun 1, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dfwtravelgirl
I was checking my mom is for her trip from PBI-DFW and when I tried changing her seat a notification popped up offering a paid upgrade to first. My mom travels on AA maybe 2-3 times a year so she has no status.
Absolutely, not to mention selling them at the gate, a la US Airways.

Just curious-how much was the upgrade & what did your husband say? I'm an EXP & I'm not thrilled, especially since Discount Dougie is excluding people like us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.