Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA PRO
Originally Posted by Ross0
...(this raises one question, is inventory aligned such that the same SWU inventory that is on AA is now on US -- e.g., C from Y to J?)
Yes.
On USAirways the intl upgrade inventory is now C and is searchable on EF.
Did it a couple weeks ago.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
From reading the web page, it appears that until they are operating under the same IT system, it is best to book the same airline AND flight code (no code-shares, as those upgrade requests will still be at check-in only).
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Fanjet
From reading the web page, it appears that until they are operating under the same IT system, it is best to book the same airline AND flight code (no code-shares, as those upgrade requests will still be at check-in only).
I'd go as far as say that for upgrade purposes, it would be best to avoid booking codeshares until the US code disappears.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Actually even as a PLT I have had good success upgrading on US flights. Out of about a dozen flights I have only missed one upgrade. In 2014 as an EXP on AA my batting average was far below that. Also for now, I do not need to use stickers. Sure, the process is a bit of a PITA. Also, the service is identical.

However, I will agree that once the programs are merged upgrading is going to get harder.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Today's email from AA to AAdvantage members links to new (? at least to me) pages that are pretty clear in explaining the process, especially the FAQs. I think they have done a really good job of not being overly optimistic, not hurrying to push this through and not getting into the mess UA/CO did when they over-promised and under-delivered. Anyway, I was impressed at how detailed they were in explaining what they could explain at this point.
One thing they didn't answer in this FAQ (but I guess it can wait for a later FAQ):

What if you've got some partner activity (hotel, rental car, whatever) where you gave your US DM number and you can't change it any more (because it's prepaid, or because changing it would recalculate the rate, or because you've already done it but it takes a long time to post), but it's going to post after the merge? Will it automatically go to the merged AA account?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by sdsearch
One thing they didn't answer in this FAQ (but I guess it can wait for a later FAQ):

What if you've got some partner activity (hotel, rental car, whatever) where you gave your US DM number and you can't change it any more (because it's prepaid, or because changing it would recalculate the rate, or because you've already done it but it takes a long time to post), but it's going to post after the merge? Will it automatically go to the merged AA account?
I've been presuming so. There's still some hotel chain (I forget which) that shows my NW WorldPerks number as part of my account. In other words, these things can take many years for third parties to fix.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by richarddd
This morning's email from Suzanne Rubin:

"In October, we announced we would combine our frequent flyer programs in the second quarter of this year. And now, we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days. We'll be providing you with more information on timing in the next few weeks. "

The US web page includes this in my account:

"For now nothing changes for you. We will contact you once we have combined your accounts in second quarter 2015."
Within the next 30 days means as far as I can see, by no later than April 12 (today being Friday the 13th). Which is just in time - I think - to hope for the 4-day window on my SFO-CLT leg on April 16 to kick in. One can hope..

Of course the weasel words are in there: "are on track to". Which means things may slip. Hopefully not.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nall
I don't believe this is correct. CP's will get SWUs when the programs merge shortly, and so SWUs should be usable on both airlines, no?

(That said, I believe PHL-TLV can be a tough upgrade.)
It should be so. I hope I erred, and it's reinforced by

Originally Posted by intub8r
Yes.
On USAirways the intl upgrade inventory is now C and is searchable on EF.
Did it a couple weeks ago.
Originally Posted by aamilesslave

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 13, 2015 at 9:46 pm
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Interesting that when they mention matching status they specifically say they will match you to the status you earned. Wonder if the "buy uppers" have reason to worry?
I wouldn't think so, because $1000 or $2500 would be steep for a couple months of status.
Assuming that was just an error of omission.
Thoughts?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Interesting that when they mention matching status they specifically say they will match you to the status you earned. Wonder if the "buy uppers" have reason to worry?
I wouldn't think so, because $1000 or $2500 would be steep for a couple months of status.
Thoughts?
Technically, when you "buy-up" you then "earn" that new status you bought into. I believe when people do that process, they are told until when their new status will be good. Same thing for a status challenge. One is told they will have that status for a 90-day period, and whatever qualification threshold they meet, they will have that corresponding status until the end of February 2016.

I don't think they are looking to thin the elite herd with the FFP merging. In fact, they will be re-calculating one's AA and US elite qualifying mileage from last year to see if the combined totals will elevate one to a higher elite status for the remainder of this year's program.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 4:55 pm

Can an AA ExecPlat use an EVIP on a US operated CLT-LHR flight this week? Who does one request the upgrade with - AA or US?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by TinDrum
Can an AA ExecPlat use an EVIP on a US operated CLT-LHR flight this week? Who does one request the upgrade with - AA or US?
No, it can't be done yet. But check the thread linked to above for discussion since yesterday's updates.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 1:32 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Thoughts?
I was one of the folks who had planned to just hit US Plat in 2014, figuring the merger would be some sort of compromise between the programs (and thus, either way, penultimate tier would be acceptable). Then had to scramble when the announcement came out in November that it would be "all of column AA, none of column US", to try to make CP since only the top tier is really worth anything on AA's program.

Ended up a bit short and did the buy-up, and everything I have indicates a status expiration date of February 2016. So I feel as safe as I can feel on this roller coaster.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by ubernostrum
I was one of the folks who had planned to just hit US Plat in 2014, figuring the merger would be some sort of compromise between the programs (and thus, either way, penultimate tier would be acceptable). Then had to scramble when the announcement came out in November that it would be "all of column AA, none of column US", to try to make CP since only the top tier is really worth anything on AA's program.

Ended up a bit short and did the buy-up, and everything I have indicates a status expiration date of February 2016. So I feel as safe as I can feel on this roller coaster.
We're all dealing with some "merger shock", and in my opinion, the sources won't really be over for some time. At least with CP / EP, you've got a very good seat on the 'coaster.

I do want to say AA Platinum still offers significant benefits, including free MCE etc. (I have to think fleet consolidation will see MCE extended throughout the fleet), 100% status bonus RDM, Business lounge access regardless of class of service on qualifying flights, etc. I was AA Platinum for some time before I was EP / EXP, and it was IMO definitely worth holding (I held equivalent status on CO until I consolidated most of my flying on AA / oneworld).
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
only the top tier is really worth anything on AA's program.
Not this.

Originally Posted by JDiver
I do want to say AA Platinum still offers significant benefits
This.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.