Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP: JUST THE FACTS / FAQs: Combined AA/US AAdvantage FFP 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE NOTE: this thread has been re dedicated for "JUST THE FACTS" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio, allowing members to find germane information about the AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles, now under way) program and get factual answers to your / frequently asked questions from experienced members.

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Please use the thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. and keep this thread for "JUST THE FACTS" and ACTUAL REPLIES. And of course, feel free to add new facts and findings to this wiki for members' ease in finding information on the new FFP.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

On March 13 2015, AAdvantage sent a letter to members saying "we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days."

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.

Some useful resources:

FT:Airport Terminal, Gate & Counter Changes

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" interview with AA's Suzanne Rubin

Link to TravelingBetter with JonNYC's information.

Clarifying contact from AA provided by jmachin:

We want to address all your concerns. Thank you for responding to our most recent email.

I apologize for the delay in answering. I wanted to discuss the point you raised with our executive team and get you a correct answer.

When our frequent flyer programs are combined sometime in the second quarter of 2015, if your 2014 combined elite-qualifying activity meets the requirements for AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, then your AAdvantage account will be updated with Executive Platinum status. The requirements for 2014 are 100,000 elite-qualifying miles, 100,000 elite-qualifying points, or 100 elite-qualifying segments, with at least 4 segments flown on American Airlines or US Airways.

This means that if you end 2014 with 107 elite-qualifying segments and at least 4 of those segments were American Airlines or US Airways flights, then you will receive Executive Platinum status when the programs are combined. Until that point, you will have Dividend Miles Preferred Platinum status.

Please be aware, beginning in 2015, the segment requirements will be 120 segments to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We look forward to having you as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member!

Regards,

Kathleen L.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by dcdavido
Were you less than 1k on US, but when AA+US combined > 1k? Just curious...
175,000 points on AA last year, so EXP.
<30,000 miles on US, so should have been Silver.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
JI checked both websites and still no date is listed - the usual Q2 language. Does anyone know more about the exact date?
Some new (to me) text:

Combining your miles, activity and accounts
If you have an account in both programs, let us know by March 20, so we can transfer your miles and activity into your existing AAdvantage account when we combine loyalty programs.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AA...2015/index.jsp
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by vasantn
Some new (to me) text:

Combining your miles, activity and accounts
If you have an account in both programs, let us know by March 20, so we can transfer your miles and activity into your existing AAdvantage account when we combine loyalty programs.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AA...2015/index.jsp
I either didn't notice that this morning when I posted or it wasn't there at that time. I did check that page though. It'd be interesting to see if conversion happens on March 21st. Thanks for pointing that out!
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
I either didn't notice that this morning when I posted or it wasn't there at that time. I did check that page though. It'd be interesting to see if conversion happens on March 21st. Thanks for pointing that out!
It seems the Q2 language (on the AA site only for now) has been replaced with "soon." The conversion may begin on the 21st but doubt anything will reflect in our accounts until April (Q2). On the US side, DM members are beginning to receive monthly account statements indicating that this will be the last one. (I haven't gotten it yet, as my batch seems to post around the 16th.)
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Carl
It seems the Q2 language (on the AA site only for now) has been replaced with "soon." The conversion may begin on the 21st but doubt anything will reflect in our accounts until April (Q2). On the US side, DM members are beginning to receive monthly account statements indicating that this will be the last one. (I haven't gotten it yet, as my batch seems to post around the 16th.)
I received my US statement yesterday, 3/12, and it said it will be my final US statement.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:17 am

This morning's email from Suzanne Rubin:

"In October, we announced we would combine our frequent flyer programs in the second quarter of this year. And now, we're on track to bring the US Airways Dividend Miles® program into the AAdvantage program within the next 30 days. We'll be providing you with more information on timing in the next few weeks. "

The US web page includes this in my account:

"For now nothing changes for you. We will contact you once we have combined your accounts in second quarter 2015."

Last edited by richarddd; Mar 13, 2015 at 7:34 am
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'm a bit confused here. As I think I read it within 30 days the AA upgrade process will go into effect; unlimited space available domestic upgrades for EXPs; GLDs and PLTs get unlimited space available upgrades on flights of 500 miles or less and over 500 miles the use of stickers as is done now. On any US flight, all AA elites get complimentary upgrades on domestic flights on flights with available space starting at T-24.

Is this correct?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Today's email from AA to AAdvantage members links to new (? at least to me) pages that are pretty clear in explaining the process, especially the FAQs. I think they have done a really good job of not being overly optimistic, not hurrying to push this through and not getting into the mess UA/CO did when they over-promised and under-delivered. Anyway, I was impressed at how detailed they were in explaining what they could explain at this point.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I'm a bit confused here. As I think I read it within 30 days the AA upgrade process will go into effect; unlimited space available domestic upgrades for EXPs; GLDs and PLTs get unlimited space available upgrades on flights of 500 miles or less and over 500 miles the use of stickers as is done now. On any US flight, all AA elites get complimentary upgrades on domestic flights on flights with available space starting at T-24.

Is this correct?
Take a look at the following web page. I think it explains it better than I can:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AA...x.jsp#upgrades
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
When will AA EPs (or anyone with SWUs) be able to redeem them for travel on LUS flights (ie. PHL-TLV)?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
When will AA EPs (or anyone with SWUs) be able to redeem them for travel on LUS flights (ie. PHL-TLV)?
The new disclosures imply "later this year" - when the AA upgrade processes will be adopted (for all) when SHARES data is migrated to Sabre.

Added: DM Preferreds will get 500 mile upgrade "stickers" based on their flying, to a maximum of 24; even CP will get them (they never expire, they can be used to upgrade a travel companion who handily "borrows" your status for the flight in question).

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 27, 2015 at 9:33 am Reason: Add after explanation from other members, Gary Leff's and JonNYC
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
The new disclosures imply "later this year" - when the AA upgrade processes will be adopted (for all) when SHARES data is migrated to Sabre.
I don't believe this is correct. CP's will get SWUs when the programs merge shortly, and so SWUs should be usable on both airlines, no?

(That said, I believe PHL-TLV can be a tough upgrade.)
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by nall
I don't believe this is correct. CP's will get SWUs when the programs merge shortly, and so SWUs should be usable on both airlines, no?

(That said, I believe PHL-TLV can be a tough upgrade.)
I read it like you do.

Originally Posted by aa.com
Systemwide upgrades
You’ll receive 8 systemwide upgrades when you qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. If you were Chairman's Preferred, and become Executive Platinum when we combine programs, you'll receive 8 systemwide upgrades when you come over to the AAdvantage program. Upgrades are valid, when available, for one-way travel on any US Airways or American marketed and operated flight (up to 3 segments) and you can give them to anyone, even if you're not traveling with them.
It appears upgrades will work the same for everyone when the FF programs merge in the coming 30 days. It's just that it will work different ways on AA and US metal, not according to the individual's legacy FF program. And that codeshares will work the way they do today, so avoid them.

Last edited by aamilesslave; Mar 13, 2015 at 1:41 pm
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:02 pm

The way I read it, a SWU can be used on either an AA or US operated flight, within 30 days when the programs combine. Of course, who knows what the SWU inventory will look like on US flights when the programs combine (this raises one question, is inventory aligned such that the same SWU inventory that is on AA is now on US -- e.g., C from Y to J?)

Interestingly, it seems like non-EXP elites and all elites flying with a non-status companion, would be wise to fly US instead of AA during the transition period to get free upgrades (as I understand it US flights will not require 500 mile sticker upgrades, but will allow complimentary upgrades at the 24, 72 and 100 hour windows for all status passengers and one companion).
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
FAQ Confirmation on SWUs:

https://www.aa.com/arriving/socialfaq.html#upgrades

Q:When can we request an upgrade on a US Airways flight using AAdvantage miles or systemwide upgrades? Can I request an upgrade now for a flight that is beyond second quarter of 2015?A:
This option will become available when the programs are combined in the second quarter of 2015. Once we combine programs, all AAdvantage members will be able to redeem their miles for upgrades or use systemwide upgrades on American and US Airways marketed and operated flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.