Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Requests for MileSAAver inventory from RM / QMAX limitations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

As of 8 April 2014, AA was said to no longer permitting telephone agents make requests for award inventory to be released. This used to be an undocumented benefit for EXPs and was a request to Revenue Management via the QMAX system. This was in error.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
slight clarification:
  • Update 1710CT/23MAY QSDLFC

The QMAX Shopping Requests guidelines have been modified to reflect the correct policy. The only scenarios that apply when shopping via QMAX are:
  • To complete a party
  • To complete an itinerary
  • Schedule Changes
  • Medical or Death
  • To correct AA error
This includes Z/U/T inventories. See AADAVAIL for guidelines.

The automated system will have an immediate answer and/or PNR documentation either confirming or denying the shopping request. If the above scenarios are denied, contact RSD for assistance. QMAX Appeals Requests is still being reviewed.
This is not related to to the issue of "expanded availability" for EXPs, which is a documented EXP benefit and does still appear to be available.

Updated 16 Jun 2017
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Probably worth noting that all along a few members also reported in the thread that they were able to make QMAX requests, though we can also decide to not let facts stand in the way of declarative statements.

Also, I noticed in the header that it describes QMAX requests as only available to EXPs, I've definitely made them and had them granted when I was PLT.
Old May 6, 2014, 11:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
..Also, I noticed in the header that it describes QMAX requests as only available to EXPs, I've definitely made them and had them granted when I was PLT.
I hadn't noticed that-- you're 100% right on that, QMAX absolutely never was and isn't now limited to EXPs. That was more confusing-with-expanded-inventory.
Old May 6, 2014, 11:30 am
Suspended

Someone very helpfully PMd to remind me that sukn later added this clarification:

Originally Posted by sukn
QMAX is discontinued but not disabled so response will always come back denied, denied, denied!
And that is a big clarification. However, I also believe it to be innacuate as, clearly, was the original report that "QMAX is gone"

The "denied, denied, denied" is clearly, IMO, not applicable to all members as this portion reveals:

Also, if a customer is an Elite member and/or fulfills other profitability criteria, he or she receives greater availability in QMAX.
But the only actual, confirmed limitation added to Qmax in this recent change was the elimination of consideration of request for release of -T- inventory. Certainly well within the realm of possibility that restrictions-- maybe even severe restrictions-- on what will get released and when went in at the same time-- no idea though on that aside from the quoted portion above.

I have PMd mods with the full document.
Old May 6, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Great updates by all (thumbs up to JonNYC). It would be good to see some follow-up datapoint/posts noting Plat/EXPs that requested a QMAX queuing for an inventory restriction override for non-T- award travel, so we have positive proof of it still working.
Old May 6, 2014, 8:48 pm
Suspended

here's the current language n TCP/TCI:

to complete a party is defined as having less award inventory available than the number of people traveling on the award. At least one applicable Z/U/T* seat must be available prior to requesting an exception to complete a party.
When sending requests to complete a party, queue to QMAX.
If the request is denied then send to the appeal queue, documenting the other PNR your party is traveling with. Shopping is not necessary.
To Complete An Itinerary
Must have at least half of itinerary confirmed
AA feeder space to/from an AA or other airline partner international confirmed flight.
Old May 7, 2014, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo
Great updates by all (thumbs up to JonNYC). It would be good to see some follow-up datapoint/posts noting Plat/EXPs that requested a QMAX queuing for an inventory restriction override for non-T- award travel, so we have positive proof of it still working.
Okay, I have a datapoint to contribute. My situation: traveling PDX>BOS with companion in F, me paid, her award. Have Z award via ORD on hold for her, but prefer routing via DFW (but no Z there)

I called reservations last night and explained my situation, and asked for her to make a request to RM to open up Z on my preferred flights. The agent said "no problem," and put me on hold for about 10 min. When she came back, she was very apologetic and informed me that it was denied. FWIW, I've never made a request to RM and had it come back anything other than "denied."

So there's my datapoint. Not the result I was hoping for, but at least my request wasn't flat out refused.
Old May 7, 2014, 7:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Okay, I have a datapoint to contribute. My situation: traveling PDX>BOS with companion in F, me paid, her award. Have Z award via ORD on hold for her, but prefer routing via DFW (but no Z there)

I called reservations last night and explained my situation, and asked for her to make a request to RM to open up Z on my preferred flights. The agent said "no problem," and put me on hold for about 10 min. When she came back, she was very apologetic and informed me that it was denied. FWIW, I've never made a request to RM and had it come back anything other than "denied."

So there's my datapoint. Not the result I was hoping for, but at least my request wasn't flat out refused.
I think it's very useful datapoint as we sort of "rebuild" out understanding from what we now know to be -not- true; that qmax was unceremoniously dumped on April 8th (or there 'bouts) to knowing that the system is still very much in place but may be:

more restrictive/ more tied to member's individual profile/ less overall regardless of profitability/etc. -OR- simply/mostly "no more -T-" and that some agents either misread the memo or "took the ball and ran with it.." as it were when they started informing members "no more qmax."

Further, important to point out that both before and after the change, most members should expect to get denied most of the time on most requests-- again, that's unchanged.
Old May 7, 2014, 8:27 am

Since that's exactly the datapoint I provided a few weeks ago, just reinforces what was likely happening all along.

The real gamerchanger will be an example of someone making such a request and having it met!
Old May 7, 2014, 10:00 am
Suspended

Since that's exactly the datapoint I provided a few weeks ago, just reinforces what was likely happening all along.
You seem to have a little bit of a chip on your shoulder on this topic-- or is that in my imagination?
Old May 7, 2014, 10:03 am
Suspended

I had not noted/noticed this part before:

To Complete An Itinerary
Must have at least half of itinerary confirmed
AA feeder space to/from an AA or other airline partner international confirmed flight.
...To Complete a Party (TCP) is not part of QMAX logic, so if the request is denied, send the PNR to the Appeals queue, documenting that it is to complete a party or to complete an itinerary.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
So is the implication that TCI is part of QMAX logic but TCP isn't?
Old May 7, 2014, 10:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
So is the implication that TCI is part of QMAX logic but TCP isn't?
Was wondering that *exact* same thing-- it sure looks that way to me, but will require clarification from "AAbove" before I'd say for sure.

But it does seem to read that way, and-- only now that i think about it-- would seem to make some sense as well.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
OK, so I tried - have wife confirmed in Z on her own PNR, with connection from BA, I am currently confirmed in Z with an overnight, trying to get on the same flight. Request was denied initially, I can call back and try to invoke the appeal process and have her PNR listed? Will give it a go and see how it plays out. Cabin only has two seats taken right now in F.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
You seem to have a little bit of a chip on your shoulder on this topic-- or is that in my imagination?
You're not imaging at all. My chip is when people make declarative statements (e.g., the title of this thread "No more requests from MileSAAver inventory from RM / QMAX") without substantiated proof and furthermore completely ignore FT'ers who post data points contradictory to the declarative statement. Is that unreasonable? As recently as two weeks ago data points where posted that seemed counter to your statement that QMAX was dead they were ignored.

This forum is a destination for people to learn facts so we should provide those when we have them and when a situation is fluid, we should be characterizing it as such for clarity.

Last edited by tylerdurden4543; May 7, 2014 at 12:11 pm
Old May 7, 2014, 12:33 pm

This forum is a destination for people to learn facts so we should provide those when we have them and when a situation is fluid, we should be characterizing it as such for clarity.
The problem is that one report can be false for many reasons. I don't think it was ignored but it just wasn't taken as gospel, either.

There were many reports of agents telling people it was completely gone, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.