Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Requests for MileSAAver inventory from RM / QMAX limitations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

As of 8 April 2014, AA was said to no longer permitting telephone agents make requests for award inventory to be released. This used to be an undocumented benefit for EXPs and was a request to Revenue Management via the QMAX system. This was in error.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
slight clarification:
  • Update 1710CT/23MAY QSDLFC

The QMAX Shopping Requests guidelines have been modified to reflect the correct policy. The only scenarios that apply when shopping via QMAX are:
  • To complete a party
  • To complete an itinerary
  • Schedule Changes
  • Medical or Death
  • To correct AA error
This includes Z/U/T inventories. See AADAVAIL for guidelines.

The automated system will have an immediate answer and/or PNR documentation either confirming or denying the shopping request. If the above scenarios are denied, contact RSD for assistance. QMAX Appeals Requests is still being reviewed.
This is not related to to the issue of "expanded availability" for EXPs, which is a documented EXP benefit and does still appear to be available.

Updated 16 Jun 2017
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Both were made by the EXP desk to complete separate award itineraries and I received absolutely no push back when making the QMAX request.
Just curious, what wording did you use when asking? E.g., did you ask the agent to make q QMAX request, did you ask them to check the automated revenue management tool, ask them to check with revenue management, or ... ?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by anabolism
Just curious, what wording did you use when asking? E.g., did you ask the agent to make q QMAX request, did you ask them to check the automated revenue management tool, ask them to check with revenue management, or ... ?
I never used the term "QMAX." I simply asked if they could send a request to revenue management to consider opening up a seat. They mentioned they weren't able to automatically open up a seat, but they'd be happy to send the request over for manual review. In fact, one agent took a look at the exact F loads all the afternoon flights and suggested the best flight to request (my schedule was fairly flexible). Hope that helps.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I never used the term "QMAX." I simply asked if they could send a request to revenue management to consider opening up a seat. They mentioned they weren't able to automatically open up a seat, but they'd be happy to send the request over for manual review. In fact, one agent took a look at the exact F loads all the afternoon flights and suggested the best flight to request (my schedule was fairly flexible).
This is exactly what I do as well. I was curious if you used the same phrasing. Only difference is that before I call I usually use EF to pick flights that are wide open in discount categories as well as mid-week, to make things easier.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Sorry to bump an older thread, but just had a couple questions for those in the know:

1. Is this benefit available to PLAT to only EXP?

2. Do you have to book the ticket immediately, or can you request a seat, get it released and keep the itinerary on hold for 5 days?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AwardBee
Sorry to bump an older thread, but just had a couple questions for those in the know:

1. Is this benefit available to PLAT to only EXP?

2. Do you have to book the ticket immediately, or can you request a seat, get it released and keep the itinerary on hold for 5 days?
Definitely not status-specific. As to the 2nd question, dunno for sure.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
No need to ticket immediately. Besides, what is "immediately" in this situation anyway? It is whenever you call back to find out if your request was granted. I've had seats released, left on hold, and then canceled the reservation as plans changed.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by sukn
No need to ticket immediately. Besides, what is "immediately" in this situation anyway? It is whenever you call back to find out if your request was granted. I've had seats released, left on hold, and then canceled the reservation as plans changed.
I was under the impression that it was an automated process that would give an answer right away, and if that was the case, whether it's necessary to ticket immediately, or the option to hold the released seat.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 10:51 am

I was under the impression that it was an automated process that would give an answer right away, and if that was the case, whether it's necessary to ticket immediately, or the option to hold the released seat.
There is an automated process, but most of this discussion is about a manual appeal of the automated system's denial of a request.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:02 pm

Just a follow-up. I asked three agents in the last 24 hours to make a request for a saver award seat LAX-LAS (after returning from Singapore). All three said they couldn't make such requests anymore, although I know this isn't strictly true, because I tried last week on a different itinerary where a request was made and it was denied.

I will probably try again a few more times, but it's getting tiresome.

I just wanted to share that not all agents know they're still allowed, it almost seems like most don't. One even suggested that I just buy a revenue ticket for that last leg, although it is the holidays and such tickets are getting expensive. Not that I could have booked much earlier, because CX seats are often unavailable to till the last minute.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:27 pm

Just a follow-up. I asked three agents in the last 24 hours to make a request for a saver award seat LAX-LAS (after returning from Singapore). All three said they couldn't make such requests anymore, although I know this isn't strictly true, because I tried last week on a different itinerary where a request was made and it was denied.

I will probably try again a few more times, but it's getting tiresome.

I just wanted to share that not all agents know they're still allowed, it almost seems like most don't.
Agents have told me that they have been repeatedly reminded that they are not supposed to make such requests except in certain limited circumstances (such as schedule changes). One agent told me she will make a request when asked, but that RM often scolds her for doing so.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Gt a PM just 3 hours ago from a FTer from this forum who had a rather surprising success with a QMAX request just this week.

It definitely still exists and still works, depends on a lot of variables, needless to say.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Gt a PM just 3 hours ago from a FTer from this forum who had a rather surprising success with a QMAX request just this week.

It definitely still exists and still works, depends on a lot of variables, needless to say.
Yup, I was the one who PMed Jon with the update.

I booked an award ticket for two people on the following itinerary: SEA-MSY-MIA-XXX-DFW-LAS-SEA. I wanted to avoid the overnights in MIA and LAS, so I contacted AA for a QMAX request 7 and 12 days before departure. I was told that the request was put in and to follow up with them the following day. I called them the following day and was told that RM denied the request. That same night I put another QMAX request in and noticed it was approved the following day. This meant I was able to get an approval 8 and 11 days before departure.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:23 am

Called again tonight and got an agent willing to send a QMAX request for an LAX-LAS segment. It came back denied. She then started searching USAirways, Alaska, etc. and then I asked her if I could appeal and she submitted an appeal request for me. I'll call back tomorrow night to see if it was approved.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Angry QMAX failed

Tomorrow's AA1096 (BOS-JFK) shows : F6 A5 P5 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 W7 V7 G7 S7 N7 Q5 O1 but nada in award inventory. Asked agent to try QMAX and request the RM to release saver space but no dice. The only way I could do is to change to an earlier flight, then pay $75 for SDC

Last edited by mediator; Dec 12, 2014 at 7:50 pm
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:46 pm

My experience is that much depends on how far out the flight date is, and what the loads are. RM used to be good about releasing award space to complete an itinerary or party, even 11 months out, and even on transcon. Now, JFK-LAX is quite difficult, and many flights more than 10 days away is hard. For flights within 10 days, RM has been willing to open space but rarely on the flights I want (e.g., arriving on CX or QF or EY, they won't give me space on a flight that leaves 3-4 hours after I land, but may on flights that are 7-9 hours later).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.