Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Requests for MileSAAver inventory from RM / QMAX limitations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

As of 8 April 2014, AA was said to no longer permitting telephone agents make requests for award inventory to be released. This used to be an undocumented benefit for EXPs and was a request to Revenue Management via the QMAX system. This was in error.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
slight clarification:
  • Update 1710CT/23MAY QSDLFC

The QMAX Shopping Requests guidelines have been modified to reflect the correct policy. The only scenarios that apply when shopping via QMAX are:
  • To complete a party
  • To complete an itinerary
  • Schedule Changes
  • Medical or Death
  • To correct AA error
This includes Z/U/T inventories. See AADAVAIL for guidelines.

The automated system will have an immediate answer and/or PNR documentation either confirming or denying the shopping request. If the above scenarios are denied, contact RSD for assistance. QMAX Appeals Requests is still being reviewed.
This is not related to to the issue of "expanded availability" for EXPs, which is a documented EXP benefit and does still appear to be available.

Updated 16 Jun 2017
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat

I don't recall seeing this anywhere else so I figured I'd add to the discussion.

I was calling today changing the routing on a 2 person award I have. There was a single milesaaver F seat open on the flight that I wanted to change to. In the past, if you asked nicely, EXP agents could manually request revenue management to open up additional milesaaver inventory. However, the agent informed me that they had been specifically prohibited from making such requests anymore at the same time that the new stopover rules were put in place, etc etc.

Not 100% sure that it's true but she seemed to be really on top of her game so I think this is yet another unannounced change and devaluation.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
someone mentioned on another thread the request to have the agent phone revenue mgmt desk for some change (cannot recall if it were for an award ticket or other change) and the agent nicely responded they were basically prohibited from doing so anymore.

lovely changes for the top tier of loyal flyers!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've taken the liberty of changing the thread title slightly to indicate this has been stated by AA employees and to indicate that this is yet another of the "April 8 Massacre" AAdvantage "enhancements".

/Moderator
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:54 pm
Suspended

For clarity though, the described request has nothing whatsoever to do with "extended EXP inventory"-- that's an entirely separate thing than QMAX request (which is what's described in O.P.)
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
For clarity though, the described request has nothing whatsoever to do with "extended EXP inventory"-- that's an entirely separate thing than QMAX request (which is what's described in O.P.)
Right, this. This was an F award, where extended EXP inventory does not apply. This is a manual request - presumably QMAX but I've never heard the term.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DWFI
Right, this. This was an F award, where extended EXP inventory does not apply.
Actually, there is expended EXP inventory for Z.

Qmax here:
http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...7650#post37650
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by DWFI
Right, this. This was an F award, where extended EXP inventory does not apply. This is a manual request - presumably QMAX but I've never heard the term.
- in the past, revenue management was able to open an additional MileSaaver F inventory upon request from EXP desk.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Expanded inventory can be available in Z, A, U, C and T. The agents can see it on their screen *if* they are logged into an EXP account (and, as Jon said, it's completely independent of a QMAX request to RM).
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks, all, for clarification. Feel free to use the for those.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- in the past, revenue management was able to open an additional MileSaaver F inventory upon request from EXP desk.
The requests to RM to open up inventory (QMAX) have been greatly restricted for some time now. If you have a high helix rating, you might me lucky to get a request in the week before the flight.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Alex_I
That's what the OP is saying.
Qmax is the (internal) name of that process.

Originally Posted by JDiver
Thanks, all, for clarification. Feel free to use the for those.
Personally, since this is a very often-confused pair of topics (extended EP inventory vs. request to RM to open an award seat)-- I'd take "[extended]" out of the title too.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beerup
The requests to RM to open up inventory (QMAX) have been greatly restricted for some time now. If you have a high helix rating, you might me lucky to get a request in the week before the flight.
That as well, this success rate has been "tapering down"-- pretty severely-- over the last 5 years or so. And, yes, is member-criteria-dependant as well (with Helix rating not being the only "measure" of a member-- other, even less publicized factor(s) as well.)
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VSLover
someone mentioned on another thread the request to have the agent phone revenue mgmt desk for some change (cannot recall if it were for an award ticket or other change) and the agent nicely responded they were basically prohibited from doing so anymore.
I did see that post as well-- so a second report of same.

4 possibilites:

1. That this is accurate-- that an edict came down; no more requests to RM-- via QMAX or otherwise. Period.

2. That no such change has taken place but AAgents just adding their own little "spin" on things, and/or don't feel like doing it and/or refusing to do it based on their perception of extreme unliklihood of success.

3. That if a given member is not "ranked" in such a way that RM would/will consider request from same, AAgents are instructed (or decide) to simplify and state "we don't do that anymore" to those members. Also, some flights are known to be inhibited from QMAX requests-- seats are never released for them.

4. A blend of 1 and 3.

I will endeavor to find out-- won't be easy of course-- but someone will "crack"
Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Doesn't AA's improved RM algorythim and software already take into account whether a seat is available for a sufficiently HVC? Thus, getting rid of the need to manually call someone to see if it's possible.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Doesn't AA's improved RM algorythim and software already take into account whether a seat is available for a sufficiently...
Depends on who ya ask. Obviously there is/was a detailed, precise workaround for special consideration as detailed in the linked thread, so obviously AA fells/felt there's a need or they wouldn't have the process.

Originally Posted by Often1
..Thus, getting rid of the need to manually call someone to see if it's possible.
Theres been no manual call necessary (or even allowed, really) for quite some time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.