Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ends North American Gateway Stopover for International Awards [8 Apr 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Ends International Award Free N. America Gateway Stopover
As of April 8, 2014 - no prior notice given.

● As of 8 April 2014, AA North America to international destination awards no longer offer a voluntary stopover at the N. A. international gateway.

● Stopovers are defined as more than 4 hours for itineraries using an award within/between the U.S./Canada/PR/USVI and more than 24 hours for itineraries using a Mexico, Caribbean or other international award as of 8 Jan 2014. (JonNYC).

● Awards ticketed prior to April 8 can add or change a stopover. Refer the AAgent to the "All Partner Award Guidelines" document which can be found on jetnet at Webref-> jetnet-> aawrcontent-> res-> resstaff-> internal-> AADAP. Giving this to the agent should be enough to find it. This is from the version dated 7/22/2014 with credit to JonNYC:

Tickets issued prior to April 8, 2014, free international stopovers on international awards are allowed at the North American gateway.

●For stopover purposes only, the North American gateway is defined as the passenger's first point of arrival or last point of departure in the U.S./Canada/PR/USVI/Mexico

●Stopovers within/between all other regions require additional awards
●Changes or adding a stopover to this ticket will require a call to Tariff for PQR prior to setting up reissue
This thread is for discussion of the now eliminated international north american gateway stopover on awards.

Other topics that are related may be followed here:

. . . Wiki: AA Quietly Increases AAnytime Award Mileage Charges [8 Apr 2014]

. . . Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

. . . Wiki: Free Checked Bag / Baggage Changes as of 8 Apr 2014

. . . Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)
Print Wikipost

AA ends North American Gateway Stopover for International Awards [8 Apr 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The North American gateway stopovers were eliminated in 2014 but the OP was seeking a stopover at an international destination (outside of NA). These were eliminated when AA went to one-way flex awards in 2009 well before there was any inkling of a merger.
I could have read the OP more closely. He does mention both types of stopovers (and both have been eliminated by AA, as noted).
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by aabrad
So everything I have read tells me that stopovers are only allowed in North American gateway cities. But I remember reading something once before that I can no longer find that said otherwise.

Basically I want to go from LAX-CAI with a stopover in AMM. The flight that I would book is AA2278 RJ264, and RJ505. Which puts me in AMM for 11 hours before the flight to CAI. But I would like to stay there a few days and see Petra. Any way to make this happen guys?
You need to read something more current; free North American gateway stopovers ended nearly two years ago, international stopovers nearly seven years ago. Try the wikipost at the top of every page in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-2015-a.html
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Award stopover rules, where to find ?

Could someone post me a link, where i can find the actual stopover policy for award flights, from AA's website ?
thank you
Bert
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:29 pm
Suspended

These have general definitions:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/Tariffs/AA1.html#0001

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...f-carriage.jsp

For the application as they apply specifically to AAdv award travel, you'll have to rely on the info I have provided on the subject to this forum, and is extant in quite a few existing threads.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bertheike
Could someone post me a link, where i can find the actual stopover policy for award flights, from AA's website ?
thank you
Bert
AAdvantage awards no longer permit stopovers anywhere. If you want a stopover on award travel, you have to redeem for an additional award.

Are you looking for something on aa.com that says that stopovers are not permitted?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:58 pm

thank you
Bert
AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd) (link)

From the Wikipost at the top of every page in that thread:

"General Rules, Routing and Connections

Passenger has 4h on domestic / 23h59m international travel to connect. If there are no scheduled flights within this timeframe, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but, may not exceed 24 hours. If the connection exceeds 24 hours, it will be considered a stopover may require two awards).

If there is a non-stop flight that departs after the 4h / 23h59m windows and arrives at the destination earlier than a connecting flight within the 4h / 23h59m window, the passenger may be booked on the non-stop flight.

Effective on 14 Jul 2014 on an all-AA-metal award itinerary, you now have up to 18 hours to connect when traveling to/from Hawaii."
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by JDiver
Passenger has 4h on domestic / 23h59m international travel to connect. If there are no scheduled flights within this timeframe, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but, may not exceed 24 hours.
This seems to say I have 23h59m to connect internationally, and if there are no flights in that 23h59m window, I must take the next flight but can't exceed 24h. This leave a 1 minute window to get a flight, no?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
thank's for all your input.
But I already readed it bevore.
I thought that there should be a clear rule written in AA's website, about stopovers and award travel.
I think I remember some time ago it was like with SQ KF; oneway no stopovers, roundtrips 1 stopover in or outbound.
Also the routing and airlines combinations restrictions should be clearly manifested by AA; it's nice to learn it via FT, but not anyone is a flyertalker and even most AA telephone agents don't know about any rules and have to put you on hold for long time to get some informations. Why them make it so complicated ?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:17 am
Suspended

I thought that there should be a clear rule written in AA's website, about stopovers and award travel.
I think I remember some time ago it was like with SQ KF; oneway no stopovers, roundtrips 1 stopover in or outbound.
Also the routing and airlines combinations restrictions should be clearly manifested by AA; it's nice to learn it via FT, but not anyone is a flyertalker and even most AA telephone agents don't know about any rules and have to put you on hold for long time to get some informations. Why them make it so complicated ?
You could write to them and ask I guess.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Your opinion asserts - implicitly - that stopovers are permitted, and thus that the rule should be outlined. Turn it around - Why do you believe stopovers are permitted on awards?

As for routing and airline combinations, the rule is that there must be a published thru-fare by the most significant carrier between origin and destination for a redemption to be permitted as a single award. Across the number of origin and destination airports, across all AAdvantage award partners, and across all the published fares... that makes the count effectively infinite. AA makes a limited tool available - aa.com - to book some award redemptions and instructs us to call for the rest. I've expressed a long-standing wish to have more award partners bookable online - a feat managed by United, Delta and Alaska Airlines, among others. I am not alone in that.

You demonstrate an inadequate understanding of AAdvantage award booking rules and want parties - FTers and published AAdvantage rules - to prove to your satisfaction why you can't have what you want. Good luck with that.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
This seems to say I have 23h59m to connect internationally, and if there are no flights in that 23h59m window, I must take the next flight but can't exceed 24h. This leave a 1 minute window to get a flight, no?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's been an issue brought up in the past (especially if there is schedule changes) - The rule really applies to domestic I believe. For INTL, if it exceeds 24 hrs, you can't do anything and have to find a different routing, even if the next flight is >24hrs out (happens a lot when you arrive after a once-a-day flight).
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Your opinion asserts - implicitly - that stopovers are permitted, and thus that the rule should be outlined. Turn it around - Why do you believe stopovers are permitted on awards?

As for routing and airline combinations, the rule is that there must be a published thru-fare by the most significant carrier between origin and destination for a redemption to be permitted as a single award. Across the number of origin and destination airports, across all AAdvantage award partners, and across all the published fares... that makes the count effectively infinite. AA makes a limited tool available - aa.com - to book some award redemptions and instructs us to call for the rest. I've expressed a long-standing wish to have more award partners bookable online - a feat managed by United, Delta and Alaska Airlines, among others. I am not alone in that.

You demonstrate an inadequate understanding of AAdvantage award booking rules and want parties - FTers and published AAdvantage rules - to prove to your satisfaction why you can't have what you want. Good luck with that.
My opinion is not important. And Iam not familar with AA or them FFP. Our miles came from USair and now we have to stuck with oneworld ( and AA's rules ). So the only thing which I expect from a major FFP, is, that them clearly point out the rules, without i have to search in forums.
And this tool aa.com could easy have one side under the oneworld chart which shows all the relevant rules, or is that too much what i expect ? And for the other, not via the tool bookable airlines, i 2 times called in, with the result that the agent didn't know anything. First call i was in hold more than 50 minutes for a simple question, and second time I was transfered 3 times, spoke with totally 4 persons, and after more than 1h. I was told, that someone will call me back ( which them did next day ).
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
As for routing and airline combinations, the rule is that there must be a published thru-fare by the most significant carrier between origin and destination for a redemption to be permitted as a single award.........
QR and EY have many published throughfares, but AA doesn't accept them as a single award ! So this is also not 100% sure.
example CMN-JNB
https://matrix.itasoftware.com/#view...UsRafRI2loI00R

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/#view...PnrUhUouQpA001

Last edited by bertheike; Mar 24, 2017 at 9:05 am
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
QR and EY have many published throughfares, but AA doesn't accept them as a single award ! So this is also not 100% sure.

example CMN-JNB
https://matrix.itasoftware.com/#view...UsRafRI2loI00R
AA's 3rd region routing restrictions come before the published fare rule.

To your above point, yes, AA is terrible at publishing award rules and restritions online. And yes, many of AA's phone AAgents are totally clueless when it comes to award bookings, or anything else for that matter.

FT here is far and away the best resource for learning these rules. Just the way it is.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:08 am

My opinion is not important. And Iam not familar with AA or them FFP. Our miles came from USair and now we have to stuck with oneworld ( and AA's rules ). So the only thing which I expect from a major FFP, is, that them clearly point out the rules, without i have to search in forums.
And this tool aa.com could easy have one side under the oneworld chart which shows all the relevant rules, or is that too much what i expect ? And for the other, not via the tool bookable airlines, i 2 times called in, with the result that the agent didn't know anything. First call i was in hold more than 50 minutes for a simple question, and second time I was transfered 3 times, spoke with totally 4 persons, and after more than 1h. I was told, that someone will call me back ( which them did next day ).
It is what it is, not what we want it to be.

I'm sorry you are disappointed by the AA rules, as well, but the US Airways management team who took over AA chose to implement these, rather than the US, rules.

AA awards do not allow stopovers, full stop.

The rules about connections are what astute members have been able to ferret out of those who do have them at their disposal, agents (obviously, no passengers unless they somehow have access to the tariff rules). You can spend all the time you have waiting on the phone for Ms. Godot, the magical agent fairy who knows all the rules and waves her wand to grant worthy AAdvantage members magnanimous exceptions, but IMO it's wasted time.

If you call and try to secure an award outside of the parameters that have been presented to you, you will have to pay for two or more awards. There's a slight possibility you might get an exception granted to you in cases an international LIFO connection exceeds 24 hours, but that's pretty much all I've seen documented in this forum.

The extensive thread you were referred to contains a lot of important information provided by members. Good luck planning your awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.