Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ends North American Gateway Stopover for International Awards [8 Apr 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Ends International Award Free N. America Gateway Stopover
As of April 8, 2014 - no prior notice given.

● As of 8 April 2014, AA North America to international destination awards no longer offer a voluntary stopover at the N. A. international gateway.

● Stopovers are defined as more than 4 hours for itineraries using an award within/between the U.S./Canada/PR/USVI and more than 24 hours for itineraries using a Mexico, Caribbean or other international award as of 8 Jan 2014. (JonNYC).

● Awards ticketed prior to April 8 can add or change a stopover. Refer the AAgent to the "All Partner Award Guidelines" document which can be found on jetnet at Webref-> jetnet-> aawrcontent-> res-> resstaff-> internal-> AADAP. Giving this to the agent should be enough to find it. This is from the version dated 7/22/2014 with credit to JonNYC:

Tickets issued prior to April 8, 2014, free international stopovers on international awards are allowed at the North American gateway.

●For stopover purposes only, the North American gateway is defined as the passenger's first point of arrival or last point of departure in the U.S./Canada/PR/USVI/Mexico

●Stopovers within/between all other regions require additional awards
●Changes or adding a stopover to this ticket will require a call to Tariff for PQR prior to setting up reissue
This thread is for discussion of the now eliminated international north american gateway stopover on awards.

Other topics that are related may be followed here:

. . . Wiki: AA Quietly Increases AAnytime Award Mileage Charges [8 Apr 2014]

. . . Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

. . . Wiki: Free Checked Bag / Baggage Changes as of 8 Apr 2014

. . . Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)
Print Wikipost

AA ends North American Gateway Stopover for International Awards [8 Apr 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by normcpa
Where are the rules printed? Perhaps "stopover" is defined?
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Any indication whether the new stopover rules apply to a layover under 24 hours even if that is overnight?
Stopover definition/timing is still unchanged:

Stopovers are defined as more than 4 hours for itineraries using an award within/between the U.S./Canada/PR/USVI and more than 24 hours for itineraries using a Mexico, Caribbean or other international award.

as of 08 April 14
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by whimike
And USAir currently allows a stop-over, correct?
Yes.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I've before noticed that even for basic cash fares, AA seems to never have more than a 4 hour connection. This fits with the definition you provided. I wonder why they do this, because I think others don't restrict connections in this way (UA, AS and maybe others).
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
So only the airport that is international is allowed a 24 hour stopover? This seems odd, but it wouldn't be the first odd airline rule...

Example: Flying LHR-JFK does not allow a 24 hour stopover in JFK? Only the JFK->LHR allows a 24 hour stopover in LHR?

I'm trying to book this right now and the website isn't allowing the JFK stopover without additional miles.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by bvanderhaar
So only the airport that is international is allowed a 24 hour stopover? This seems odd, but it wouldn't be the first odd airline rule...

Example: Flying LHR-JFK does not allow a 24 hour stopover in JFK? Only the JFK->LHR allows a 24 hour stopover in LHR?

I'm trying to book this right now and the website isn't allowing the JFK stopover without additional miles.
NO stopovers are apparently allowed.

You are simply allowed, on an international itinerary, a layover of UP TO 23:59.

Can have that at JFK on LHR-JFK-??? or LHR on JFK-LHR-???. It doesn't matter.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by thexfactor

You are simply allowed, on an international itinerary, a layover of UP TO 23:59.

Sorry, I used the wrong language. Layover is what I meant. Layovers of 24 hours are allowed on an international itinerary. Regardless of airport / airport connection within that itinerary. Thanks!

Last edited by bvanderhaar; Apr 10, 2014 at 11:23 am Reason: Clarified airport connection
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:23 am
Suspended

It's actually 24 hours allowed.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:26 am
Suspended

And I just saw a report on TB of AA.com not allowing an allowable, very long connection as well, so AA.com could be possibly having problems with the new programming (or whatever) as well
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by whimike
And USAir currently allows a stop-over, correct?
For now.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
It's sad to say... I receive better customer service by my local public transportation agency than American Airlines, the WiFi is even free

Originally Posted by IntFF
Cancelling the NA gateway stop-overs in international awards is a Big reduction in the AA awards value.
Doing so WITHOUT an advanced formal notice is a signal that AA is becoming a company with NO respect for its best customers.

Maybe time to do more of my paid flights with United.

Does anybody know if United still enables 1 NA gateway stop-over for an international round trip award ??
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by JDiver
These will be sorely missed; the oneworld Explorer award was an aspirational award for many members.

This also explains why US Airways Dividend Miles members were told these awards were not available to them once US became an affiliate oneworld member (affiliated under American Airlines effective 31 March 2014). The hammer was already in the air an descending.
And Ms. Rubin (whom I like actually, but just stating the facts in this case) and the rest deliberately kept this information from us. Make no mistake about it, the premeditated plan of AA was to make sure no one could respond by booking any of the lost options before the changes were made. This was accompanied by what (I think is) clumsy attempts to hide the full nature of the program devaluations. A foolish plan in my opinion that's a net loss for AA versus following, e.g., the method UA used allowing booking of partner awards through the eos for a couple of months before devaluations were implemented*. UA's approach resulted in more miles being used in the near term, but it was allowed at rates that were deemed acceptable for many years prior and did not generate the heavy customer disappointment and anger that the clandestine approach AA took now evokes.

(*UA made other negative changes without notice I know, just saying that with regard to their Partner Devaluations, this biggest of all changes was done the right way).

We must prepare as best we can for more of the same from the new AA-US.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (since 1987) PLAT. USAir Dividend, AF Flying Blue.
I was going to book this week a vacation planned for a very long time : Europe to LAX to Mexico city in november.
The cost should have been 20k and is now 38.5k.
I can't tell what is my strongest feeling between anger and disapointment.
Of course, we are not going to use miles for this last leg now. I swear we'll fly and pay LAX-MEX on any airlines but AA.

This is the end of our AA exclusivity.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:32 pm
In memoriam

I called the 800 number to check on the routing SAN-MIA/overnight MIA/MIA-BOG at 9:30 A.M. The agent said "no stopovers" allowed. I didn't argue with her, but I felt she really didn't follow the question. That said, I can't book an award on aa.com with those conditions, even though I did it a few times on aa.com before April 8.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP
New layover rules silently added April 8

I posted about this in the 'devaluation vent' thread, but it seems there are more new rules than I had seen reported before. Arriving in a hub on the last flight of the night and taking the first one out the next morning no longer seems to work if the layover is over 4 hours. And layovers on international itineraries also price as 2 awards. Examples of itineraries that do not load except in a multi-city search and price as 2 awards:

Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:17 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Yeah I noticed that when looking at booking a new award yesterday. I also changed an existing award from ~18hr connection to ~9hr connection as availability opened up the previous day.. it took about 30 minutes to change (they had to call a supervisor) where it used to take just a minute or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.