Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ends North American Gateway Stopover for International Awards [8 Apr 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Ends International Award Free N. America Gateway Stopover
As of April 8, 2014 - no prior notice given.

● As of 8 April 2014, AA North America to international destination awards no longer offer a voluntary stopover at the N. A. international gateway.

● Stopovers are defined as more than 4 hours for itineraries using an award within/between the U.S./Canada/PR/USVI and more than 24 hours for itineraries using a Mexico, Caribbean or other international award as of 8 Jan 2014. (JonNYC).

● Awards ticketed prior to April 8 can add or change a stopover. Refer the AAgent to the "All Partner Award Guidelines" document which can be found on jetnet at Webref-> jetnet-> aawrcontent-> res-> resstaff-> internal-> AADAP. Giving this to the agent should be enough to find it. This is from the version dated 7/22/2014 with credit to JonNYC:

Tickets issued prior to April 8, 2014, free international stopovers on international awards are allowed at the North American gateway.

●For stopover purposes only, the North American gateway is defined as the passenger's first point of arrival or last point of departure in the U.S./Canada/PR/USVI/Mexico

●Stopovers within/between all other regions require additional awards
●Changes or adding a stopover to this ticket will require a call to Tariff for PQR prior to setting up reissue
This thread is for discussion of the now eliminated international north american gateway stopover on awards.

Other topics that are related may be followed here:

. . . Wiki: AA Quietly Increases AAnytime Award Mileage Charges [8 Apr 2014]

. . . Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

. . . Wiki: Free Checked Bag / Baggage Changes as of 8 Apr 2014

. . . Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)
Print Wikipost

AA ends North American Gateway Stopover for International Awards [8 Apr 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA P; Marriott G; Hertz 5*; Club Carlson G; IHG P;
I took advantage of the stopover not too long ago, it's set for sometime in 2015. Will I be change the date now that it's been eliminated?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Originally Posted by fenix8o0
I took advantage of the stopover not too long ago, it's set for sometime in 2015. Will I be change the date now that it's been eliminated?
You should be able to, as long as it's already ticketed prior to 4/8. I changed my stopover date 2 days ago, and the flight is set for 2015. They had to call the supervisor to get a waiver.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:38 am

I hate this change. Since I don't live in a gateway city, I sometimes needed to use a stopover to get the necessary regional to gateway city segment for an award to work. And it was nice to be able to add on a few extra days to a trip in order to visit my parents when I was traveling on a FF ticket that routed through ORD. If AA was concerned about losing money on the gateway city layovers, why not just simply limit the length of the gateway city layover to something reasonable (say 5-7 days)?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by artemis
I hate this change. Since I don't live in a gateway city, I sometimes needed to use a stopover to get the necessary regional to gateway city segment for an award to work. And it was nice to be able to add on a few extra days to a trip in order to visit my parents when I was traveling on a FF ticket that routed through ORD. If AA was concerned about losing money on the gateway city layovers, why not just simply limit the length of the gateway city layover to something reasonable (say 5-7 days)?
They'd respond: Because we don't have to. Just like we don't have to give you notice before we say "no," and take it away.

Grr.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by artemis
why not just simply limit the length of the gateway city layover to something reasonable (say 5-7 days)?
That's a reasonable idea. Wonder if AA will relent and allow this. Maybe there is such a plan so that there would be an increase in goodwill. First do something very bad, then relent so as to look better.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
That's a reasonable idea. Wonder if AA will relent and allow this. Maybe there is such a plan so that there would be an increase in goodwill. First do something very bad, then relent so as to look better.
I don't see that happening.

If anything, they'll resort to US' stopover rules: one SO or OJ allowed on RT.

Let's just hope they don't take away one-ways.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by thexfactor
I don't see that happening.

If anything, they'll resort to US' stopover rules: one SO or OJ allowed on RT.

Let's just hope they don't take away one-ways.
Imagine if the take the worst aspects: no stopovers/open jaw and no one-ways.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Imagine if the take the worst aspects: no stopovers/open jaw and no one-ways.
I'd rather not.

I already have enough trouble sleeping
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:15 pm
Suspended

There's no chance AAdv will go back to r/t awards from one-way awards.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:12 pm

As someone living abroad, this change is devastating on a very personal level.

Sadly, I'm sure this is just first of many devaluations to come.

Thanks a lot Tom Horton. Hope you're enjoying that $17 million bribe.

Last edited by AADFW; Sep 26, 2014 at 11:12 pm
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AADFW
As someone living abroad, this change is devastating on a very personal level.

Sadly, I'm sure this is just first of many devaluations to come. Doug Parker, Scott Kirby, and all of their penny-pinching LCC cronies will slowly suck the lifeblood out of a once great airline and its loyalty program drop by drop. These guys know the cost of everything but the value of NOTHING. Anyone who supported this awful merger will pay dearly alongside those of us who knew what a terrible idea it was from day one.

Thanks a lot Tom Horton. Hope you're enjoying that $17 million bribe.
We have a rant 'n rage thread for this kind of insight:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Bribe? That's wholly inappropriate.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Leopold
Bribe? That's wholly inappropriate.
Really? What would you call it? The guy swore up and down that an independent American was best for everyone involved until he was offered millions to go away.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Paying compensation to someone is not a "bribe".
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:14 am

American Airlines Stopover Ideas (Europe to USA to ??)

Hi everyone,
My 50k bonus miles just kicked in, and I'm looking to go Paris-Boston at the end of June. I'd like to make Boston a stopover city to get a free one-way a month or two later.

- How about Paris - Boston (month stopover) - Miami? Paris-Miami is not available, but it would be via Boston.
- Another example, Paris - Boston = 30k, and Paris - Curacao = 30k, both available. In this case, can I stopover in Boston?

Is this something the phone reps could sort out? Where do they draw the line?

I'm not set on a destination after Boston, so how would you take advantage of the stopover? Thanks for your ideas, cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.