Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ends North American Gateway Stopover for International Awards [8 Apr 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Ends International Award Free N. America Gateway Stopover
As of April 8, 2014 - no prior notice given.

● As of 8 April 2014, AA North America to international destination awards no longer offer a voluntary stopover at the N. A. international gateway.

● Stopovers are defined as more than 4 hours for itineraries using an award within/between the U.S./Canada/PR/USVI and more than 24 hours for itineraries using a Mexico, Caribbean or other international award as of 8 Jan 2014. (JonNYC).

● Awards ticketed prior to April 8 can add or change a stopover. Refer the AAgent to the "All Partner Award Guidelines" document which can be found on jetnet at Webref-> jetnet-> aawrcontent-> res-> resstaff-> internal-> AADAP. Giving this to the agent should be enough to find it. This is from the version dated 7/22/2014 with credit to JonNYC:

Tickets issued prior to April 8, 2014, free international stopovers on international awards are allowed at the North American gateway.

●For stopover purposes only, the North American gateway is defined as the passenger's first point of arrival or last point of departure in the U.S./Canada/PR/USVI/Mexico

●Stopovers within/between all other regions require additional awards
●Changes or adding a stopover to this ticket will require a call to Tariff for PQR prior to setting up reissue
This thread is for discussion of the now eliminated international north american gateway stopover on awards.

Other topics that are related may be followed here:

. . . Wiki: AA Quietly Increases AAnytime Award Mileage Charges [8 Apr 2014]

. . . Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

. . . Wiki: Free Checked Bag / Baggage Changes as of 8 Apr 2014

. . . Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)
Print Wikipost

AA ends North American Gateway Stopover for International Awards [8 Apr 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by JDiver
Originally Posted by am13
AA newbie here with a rather unique question. I'm trying to fly from JFK to PDX with a connection in YVR (so I can finally give Cathay First a try). Is there a way to book that as one ticket (to save miles!), or would I have to book the JFK-YVR award ticket and the YVR-PDX award ticket separately?
North American gateway free stopovers ended nearly two years ago (in addition to cabotage issues).
This is not a gateway stopover question because:

1) the OP does not want a stopover in YVR; and

2) even if the OP did want a stopover in YVR, he could not have had one under the rule that was changed in 2014, since that rule only allowed a stopover on awards between North America and another zone.

As to the cabotage issue, I'm not sure that this would be cabotage, since a U.S. carrier (AS) would be transporting the passenger from Canada to the U.S.

But none of this really matters, since AA rules for award travel from one state to another do not permit travel via Canada (or Mexico).
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by am13
You never get what you don't ask for! Many thanks for the help, Chris.
If you have -- or can quickly get -- some BA Avios, you could get a YVR-PDX award on an AS nonstop for just 4,500 BA Avios. But you'd have to book very soon, as the early February BAEC devaluation would raise the price of this flight to 7,500 Avios.

And since YVR-PDX would be a separate award, you could even stop over in YVR, if desired.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976
...But none of this really matters, since AA rules for award travel from one state to another do not permit travel via Canada (or Mexico).
That is the answer, of course!

http://travelingbetter.vbulletin.net...g-rules-sticky

Routing - Travel Wholly Within North America

...Travel between two cities in the United States via Canada/Mexico/Caribbean is not allowed on one award, however if multiple awards are claimed they can be issued on one ticket.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Need help booking an international stopover.

So everything I have read tells me that stopovers are only allowed in North American gateway cities. But I remember reading something once before that I can no longer find that said otherwise.

Basically I want to go from LAX-CAI with a stopover in AMM. The flight that I would book is AA2278 RJ264, and RJ505. Which puts me in AMM for 11 hours before the flight to CAI. But I would like to stay there a few days and see Petra. Any way to make this happen guys?
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this a cash or award ticket?
Have you tried multicity on AA or RJ or a travel agent web site?
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:40 pm

It's an award ticket. And no I've just looked through AA.com
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aabrad
It's an award ticket. And no I've just looked through AA.com
AAdvantage awards no longer permit stopovers anyway, not even at North American gateways. If you want to interrupt an international journal for more than 24 hours anywhere, you will need to book a second award -- or a cash ticket for the second leg.

If you can get yourself some BA Avios, a one-way award from AMM to CAI on RJ should cost just 4,500 Avios (plus fees/taxes) in Economy. @:-)
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
Since the take over and merger of AA by US Airways, all stopovers were eliminated from AAdvantage awards. If you exceed permitted connection times in a city, you must take an additional award redemption for the flights. If you want to stay in AMM before continuing to your ultimate destination, CAI, you will be required to redeem an additional award for the AMM-CAI flight. Same thing if you take RJ from AMM to JFK or ORD and want to break the trip and stay in the arrival city overnight or longer, you would need another ticket to get you to any destination whether you want to redeem it with AAdvantage miles or just purchase one is up to you. The elimination of stopovers is just another way our AAdvantage miles have been devaluated. <redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 20, 2016 at 1:10 am Reason: Removed off topic content
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:58 pm

Well that really sucks. Thanks for the information though. Guess I'll just book the flight to Europe avoiding BA and the book a cash ticket for the AMM and CAI legs since I'm doing Rome AMM and CAI on this trip.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pgppetch
Since the take over and merger of AA by US Airways, all stopovers were eliminated from AAdvantage awards.
No stop overs on AA awards happened before the US Airways takeover of AA.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aabrad
Well that really sucks. Thanks for the information though. Guess I'll just book the flight to Europe avoiding BA and the book a cash ticket for the AMM and CAI legs since I'm doing Rome AMM and CAI on this trip.

All AAdvantage awards are offered as one-ways, so you can book a U.S.-Rome award for the outbound, and a Cairo-U.S. award for the return, paying cash (or redeeming additional awards) for the FCO-AMM and the AMM-CAI legs.

If this is for Coach-class travel between October 15 and May 15, and if you book your award before the devaluation goes into effect this Tuesday, it actually costs fewer miles to redeem for U.S.-FCO and FCO-AMM (or the reverse) as two separate awards than it does to redeem for a single U.S.-AMM award!

And definitely look into acquiring some BA Avios (from Chase UR points, Starwood points, or Amex MR points) for the AMM-CAI flight, unless there is a really cheap fare offered on that route.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
This is not the right thread to go AA management bashing. A proper thread for the discussion of reactions to recent changes does exist, but it is not appropriate to drive other threads into the ditch to make a point about AA leadership.

~Moderator
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
No stop overs on AA awards happened before the US Airways takeover of AA.
Not exactly. AA awards permitted stopovers at the North American gateway on international redemptions. This stopover was eliminated in the AAdvantage massacre of April '14. AA and US completed the merger financial transaction in December '13.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...il-2014-a.html

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...47953849152692
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Not exactly. AA awards permitted stopovers at the North American gateway on international redemptions. This stopover was eliminated in the AAdvantage massacre of April '14. AA and US completed the merger financial transaction in December '13.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...il-2014-a.html

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...47953849152692
The North American gateway stopovers were eliminated in 2014 but the OP was seeking a stopover at an international destination (outside of NA). These were eliminated when AA went to one-way flex awards in 2009 well before there was any inkling of a merger.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The North American gateway stopovers were eliminated in 2014 but the OP was seeking a stopover at an international destination (outside of NA). These were eliminated when AA went to one-way flex awards in 2009 well before there was any inkling of a merger.
@:-) ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.