Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Boeing 767-300 / 763 "CIP" with Lie Flat Business (2014 CIP)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current thread for discussing the 767-323ER Thompson Vantage Business Seats is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1542143-boeing-767-300-763-thompson-vantage-business-seat-map-best-seats.html.

"CIP" Cabin Improvement Program Full Lie Flat Thompson Vantage Seat and All-Aisle Access. 16 of 24 with WiFi, Business with tablets for IFE.

See American Airlines Business Class Seat video in first post
[/b]
[/center]
Due to thread and interest growth, please see 763 / 767 CIP New (2014) Business Seat and Map (master thread). BUSINESS SEAT and BUSINESS CABIN posts have moved to that thread.

NOTE: All currently flying 763s are refurbished.

100% of the active fleet have been converted (as of 30OCT17) (* = wifi available):
  • N342AN*, N343AN*, N344AN*, N346AN*, N347AN*, N348AN*, N349AN*, N350AN*, N379AA, N381AN*, N384AA*, N385AM, N388AA, N389AA, N390AA, N391AA, N392AN, N393AN, N394AN, N395AN, N396AN, N397AN*, N398AN, and N399AN*.

The following 34 aircraft have been retired (as of 30OCT17):
  • N345AN, N351AA, N352AA, N353AA, N354AA, N355AA, N357AA, N358AA, N39356, N359AA, N360AA, N361AA, N362AA, N363AA, N39364, N39365, N366AA, N39367, N368AA, N369AA, N370AA, N371AA, N372AA, N373AA, N374AA, N7375A, N376AN, N377AN, N378AN, N382AN, N383AN, N386AA, N387AM, N380AN (with N373AA being the final NGBC aircraft retired to Roswell on 30OCT17)

Program details:
  • ~26 (46%) of AA's fleet of 57 763 / 767-323ERs have been retained and upgraded with a Cabin Improvement Program - 28 new horizontal lie-flat Thompson Vantage business seats, 14 MCE seats (row 11 gets removed as the business cabin is enlarged), and 163 coach / economy (including 14 exit row) seats. Other upgrades include international satellite Wi-Fi (refit started in 2016), 110V AC power outlets in the business cabin (MCE and coach will retain 15V DC cigarette-lighter style power), new overhead monitors and audio systems, and a refurbishment of lavatories and main cabin seats. No personal in-seat video system was installed - the premium cabin retain the Samsung Galaxy tablets (docked to seatbacks) on international flights, and the main cabin, as well as the premium cabin on domestic flights, will stay with shared overhead screens.

• These aircraft were refurbished for one reason: the AA/BA/IB/AY transatlantic joint business agreement requires that AA have lie-flat seats for transatlantic routes.

• Link to post with artist's rendition of new J cabin. Link to post with new seat maps as they appear in AA.com

• Link to airchive article including pictures, and Link to mycrewlife blog post with more renderings showing the business cabin.

• Link to FT Trip Report with images

• Link to AA's widebody CIP announcement. For 777 upgrades, see thread 777-200ER / 772 No First; New Business Announced 2014 (767 stuff moved).

J-cabin seat map:

Code:
   A  D  G  J
 2 0_ 0_0_ _0 2
 3 _0 _0_0 0_ 3
 4 0_ 0_0_ _0 4
 5 _0 _0_0 0_ 5
 6 0_ 0_0_ _0 6
 7 _0 _0_0 0_ 7
 8 0_ 0_0_ _0 8
 A  D  G  J

Legend: 0 = seat; _ = table
Link to SeatGuru 763 seat chart

Note: the seats in C behind seats with smaller consoles (inside center) have smaller foot cubbies; those with large feet or shoes will feel cramped. Those over six feet will feel cramped if they lie supine in the fully flattened seat; sleeping slanted or side sleeping with bent legs is possible.

In Business they offer a 110 VAC multi-socket in the e-pad front tray area, and another, as well as USB and audio mini jack at shoulder height over and at the rear of the console. Seat controls are touch controls, and can involuntarily be operated by resting your forearm on the console.

The tray table is released with a button; it pivots out and folds. Table height may impede those who are portly or have long legs. Overhead bins, IFE monitors, lavs etc. have not been upgraded.

JDiver's mini-report here.

Contributors: sensei, SDQBound(former B7e7US), Longboater, Econometrics[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Boeing 767-300 / 763 "CIP" with Lie Flat Business (2014 CIP)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by billgrates3
Personally, I'm less concerned about the design of the seats than about the total number of premium seats. Less F and/or J seats means less upgrades.
Whaaaaaaaat? You'd rather have crappy seats in greater quantity than better seats?

Are the JAL business class seats mentioned upthread the exact same design as DL's 767 new biz class product?

Last edited by Herb687; Feb 24, 2014 at 11:40 am Reason: JL/DL seats question
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Herb687
Whaaaaaaaat? You'd rather have crappy seats in greater quantity than better seats?

Are the JAL business class seats mentioned upthread the exact same design as DL's 767 new biz class product?
Same exact seat, but JL uses far nicer materials. It might also have optioned up the seat a bit more.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Same exact seat, but JL uses far nicer materials. It might also have optioned up the seat a bit more.
Thanks. Thought the layout looked awfully familiar. Wouldn't be hard to find far nicer materials than DL used! I think DL's 767 biz class seat is covered in the same cheap low-grade vinyl-like leather as their standard domestic seats.

(Airlines: End the leather fetish!)

I've flown DL's 767 new biz class. Not that impressed. Better than AA's incredibly dated 763/772 "NG"(my arse)BC due to direct aisle access at every seat but not spacious and really didn't even feel fully lie flat.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Thanks. Thought the layout looked awfully familiar. Wouldn't be hard to find far nicer materials than DL used! I think DL's 767 biz class seat is covered in the same cheap low-grade vinyl-like leather as their standard domestic seats.

(Airlines: End the leather fetish!)

I've flown DL's 767 new biz class. Not that impressed. Better than AA's incredibly dated 763/772 "NG"(my arse)BC due to direct aisle access at every seat but not spacious and really didn't even feel fully lie flat.
Seems like it's official now; the Delta/JAL seat:

http://www.airlinesanddestinations.c...vice-in-april/
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I flew the new DL seat on FRA-DTW last year, and was also not too impressed. Very small screen for IFE, and the legroom was pretty bad. Felt like I was sitting in a coffin and it was much harder to sleep than on the AA J seats.

Originally Posted by Speedracer2

Looks pretty similar to the new AC business seat.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Is it the same as AY? Haven't flown on it but looks like it.

Also, they mention the 763 in this article, do we know of it
L be he same in the 772?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by FAA1996
Is it the same as AY? Haven't flown on it but looks like it.

Also, they mention the 763 in this article, do we know of it
L be he same in the 772?
I always assumed the 772 J's would be the same as the 773, but I could be wrong.

The 763 looks almost exactly like the Swiss seat, which I found to be better than Delta's
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Speedracer2

Is it safe to say the seats with the console between the chair and the aisle will be more private/desirable?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: DL DM; AS 75K; Marriott Titanium Elite
IFE Question

Up until this point it was suspected that Business would continue to use the Samsung Galaxy Tablets and Main Cabin would remain with overhead video. The article says different:

"Other elements of the Boeing 767-300ER retrofit project include the installation of new LCD drop-down monitors, new digital audio systems, refreshed lavatories, and new seat covers and cushions in the Main Cabin.

Each retrofitted 767-300ER will also be outfitted with international Wi-Fi; in-seat entertainment; and Main Cabin Extra seating..."

The first paragraph makes it sound like only new screens and audio jacks to watch the main screens, but the second paragraph obviously implies different.

Anyone have any more information?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Is it safe to say the seats with the console between the chair and the aisle will be more private/desirable?
Having flown several times on the Delta 767 birds with identical seats, I can tell you there is no privacy at all (in fact, I'm getting on one tomorrow).

Those seats are probably my least favorite lie-flat J seats. They feel cramped, offer no privacy, and are extremely close to the person in front and behind you.

I understand why AA picked those seats...for 767, this configuration maximize the amount of J seats while still offering lie-flat.

Don't get me wrong, they are miles ahead of the current angle flat, but still, my least favorite!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Having flown several times on the Delta 767 birds with identical seats, I can tell you there is no privacy at all (in fact, I'm getting on one tomorrow).

Those seats are probably my least favorite lie-flat J seats. They feel cramped, offer no privacy, and are extremely close to the person in front and behind you.
I've flown the DL 764s in/out of London a few times (not a lot but more than a couple) and I find that the window seats that are farther from the Aisle have enough of a private feel for me. Not nearly as private as the reverse-herringbone seats on AA's 77W, but certainly more than any NGBC seat in my opinion. Unfortunately the fuselage width on the 767 just makes it a tough space to work with.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
I've flown the DL 764s in/out of London a few times (not a lot but more than a couple) and I find that the window seats that are farther from the Aisle have enough of a private feel for me. Not nearly as private as the reverse-herringbone seats on AA's 77W, but certainly more than any NGBC seat in my opinion. Unfortunately the fuselage width on the 767 just makes it a tough space to work with.
I have sat in aisle, window, and center and have found them to be pretty private; yes you are closer front and back to other passengers but the high shielded cubby makes it feel private. The center seat on Thai was probably the least private as it was set up for couples travelling together (the wide arm-rest where the person's feet behind you go in "bed-mode" was on the aisle side for both seats); from the pictures, American dies not have this set-up.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 11:59 am
Suspended

I flew 77W j recently and was really surprised it was long enough to sleep. Does
Anyone know if the 763 seats will be cut down? Would be a shame to go from current seats which can accommodate tall passengers if less comfortably to smaller seats like BA J which mean you cannot lie down and sleep. Fingers crossed after success on 77W.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like they're complicating their business and carving out a dedicated sub-fleet of 763s.

As of now, *ALL* of JFK-ZRH (& vv.) on or after 01APR14 is loaded with a seatmap with the new configuration. LX must really be stealing the premium customers (and which banker, lawyer etc. would choose AA's current seat over LX?)

As per IFE, I haven't seen anything but I do sure hope they're updating it for the times (the tablets, and the whole distributing and picking them up business, are a joke).
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjlon
I flew 77W j recently and was really surprised it was long enough to sleep. Does
Anyone know if the 763 seats will be cut down?
Bed-length on the new AA 763 J-seat is measurably less than the AA 773 J-seat (the latter of which is 78")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.