Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAdvantage Miles Upgrade Awards and options on other carriers
Only allowed on specific British Airways (BA) and Iberia (IB)fares

AADVANTAGE PARTICIPATING AIRLINES UPGRADE AWARDS (See: Mileage upgrades on British Airways and Iberia)

AAdvantage members may use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights*. Miles may be used to upgrade yourself or anyone you designate. And now, you can upgrade tickets booked by American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com) as well as bookings made through a travel agency or other source.

Each one-way upgrade is valid up to three segments from an individual published full fare ticket per the chart below. Definitions of the eligible fare types are as follows:
  • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y (excluding Military or Government fares) on American
  • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y or B on British Airways or Iberia
  • Premium Economy with published World Traveller Plus fares booked in W (unrestricted fares only) on British Airways. Doesn’t apply to Excursion fares.
  • Full-Fare Club World Business with published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways or Iberia
  • British Airways flight must be coded BAxxx on the ticket (AA codeshare flights are not eligible for upgrades and must be converted / booked as BA prime flights)
  • British Airways must operate the LONGEST SEGMENT on the itinerary to be eligible for an upgrade
**Upgrades on British Airways from Economy Class (World Traveller) are valid to Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus) where a Premium Economy Cabin exists, and from Premium Economy to Business (Club World).

Upgrade requests can be made when you make your initial reservation or after you have purchased your ticket, but must be made prior to checking in for your flight.

To request an upgrade award contact Reservations or visit an American Airlines Travel Center.Service charges may apply. If you have already purchased a ticket and you wish to use a mileage upgrade award, please have your reservation details available for our reservation agent.

*Includes travel on codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers.

Link to aa.com page with award chart, language, etc. (IMPORTANT TO READ IN ITS ENTIRETY)

As Microwave points out, AA must have some involvement with the ticket:

American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia flights or codeshare flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia are eligible. Reservations booked through a source other than American Airlines must include at least one flight with an American Airlines flight number in order to be eligible (includes codeshare flights operated by British Airways or Iberia but booked as an American Airlines flight number.)
See post 338 for useful information.

updated 4 Sep 2016 by JDiver

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rabbott
Hi all,

Did some searching but didn't find a good answer on this.

I am EXP/emerald and have a BA flight booked in W (full fare prem econ). The itinerary is MAD-LHR-IAD, and I would like to upgrade the LHR-IAD leg. The flights were booked through BA via my travel agent.

The AA website says I should be able to upgrade this flight with AA miles.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp

I contacted AA and they are saying since this itinerary was booked with BA, it's not possible to upgrade with AA miles, because their reservation systems won't talk to each other.

That's not what the AA website says. In fact, it says that W fares booked on BA are elgibile for upgrade. I also don't think it's even possible to book a BA W fare through AA (I tried this a couple years ago and it was either Y, discounted Y, or J -- no options for PE).

I tried working through this with the EXP desk and all I got was "sorry".

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

If it is a W booking class BA fare, then it should be easy to cancel, get a refund and rebook over the phone with AA

Once rebooked with AA, if there is business class award availability on the BA flight, then you should be able to rebook into business class

If it is no actually a W fare, but a discount premium economy fare in E ot T class, then cannot upgrade

Dave
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Upgrading AA ticketed BA flight from Economy to Premium Economy

So in the past I have been able to upgrade AA ticketed but British Airways operated flights from economy (world traveler) to premium economy (World Traveler plus) at the British Airways Galleries Lounge for a flat amount in cash (no miles involved). I was thinking of trying this again on my next flight since I do prefer Premium Economy to Economy on British Airways. However, I was curious under the new mileage scheme would I earn miles based on the original fare class or the upgraded fare class?

I know in the past when purchasing with British Airways directly it was the upgraded fare class and if I recall correctly on AA purchased tickets operated by BA it was also the upgraded fare class. Also, would I earn EQD's on the upgrade amount as well?

I appreciate the insight.

JC

Last edited by Joe1690; Apr 23, 2017 at 5:07 am Reason: clarification
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Joe1690
So in the past I have been able to upgrade AA ticketed but British Airways operated flights from economy (world traveler) to premium economy (World Traveler plus) at the British Airways Galleries Lounge for a flat amount. I was thinking of trying this again on my next flight since I do prefer Premium Economy to Economy on British Airways. However, I was curious under the new mileage scheme would I earn miles based on the original fare class or the upgraded fare class?
You're saying you buy a "PE" ticket from AA which will get you a BA-operated flight. Are you buying the flight as AA-marketed or BA-marketed? That will make a potentially big difference.

If you buy AA-marketed. you will earn according to the AA tables, which includes earning EQD on the relevant portion of what you paid AA, and the fare class you purchased from them. The fact that you went to BA and upgraded with Avios would be invisible and irrelevant to them.

If you buy BA-marketed, it would depend on what BA reports to them, which I believe would be the original fare class, as argued below:

I know in the past when purchasing with British Airways directly it was the upgraded fare class and if I recall correctly on AA purchased tickets operated by BA it was also the upgraded fare class. Also, would I earn EQD's on the upgrade amount as well?

JC
Your claim seems to be that if you buy BA-marketed from BA and then upgrade with Avios, you then earn Avios (and TP) for the upgraded class. That sounds a bit odd, and is contradicted by the FT master thread: "Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios":

If you upgrade your ticket using Avios (UuA / MFU) then you get the Tier Points and Avios of the purchased ticket, so if you upgrade a World Traveller Plus ticket to Club World, you get the World Traveller Plus Tier Points and Avios.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
You're saying you buy a "PE" ticket from AA which will get you a BA-operated flight. Are you buying the flight as AA-marketed or BA-marketed? That will make a potentially big difference.

If you buy AA-marketed. you will earn according to the AA tables, which includes earning EQD on the relevant portion of what you paid AA, and the fare class you purchased from them. The fact that you went to BA and upgraded with Avios would be invisible and irrelevant to them.

If you buy BA-marketed, it would depend on what BA reports to them, which I believe would be the original fare class, as argued below:

Your claim seems to be that if you buy BA-marketed from BA and then upgrade with Avios, you then earn Avios (and TP) for the upgraded class. That sounds a bit odd, and is contradicted by the FT master thread: "Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios":
Thanks for the information. I guess I won't be earning any additional EQMs or EQDs which is frustrating but understood since a partner is involved. I did go ahead and clarify my original post after seeing your confusion about the vehicle used for the upgrade. The upgrade is purely with cash and no Avios involved. Since it is an AA ticketed itinerary British Airways won't allow upgrades with Avios unless purchasing full-fare coach tickets which this is not. As such, the only alternative is to pay cash at the airport is space is available.

I typically would just by the World Traveler Plus itinerary direct from British Airways but the prices were prohibitive on this itinerary in comparison to AA's coach fares so it works out better to upgrade coming home if available.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Did this on AA-coded BA flight LHR-BAH last November at the LHR T5 check-in desks. Upgrade fee was only $150 - well worth it for a 6+hr flight in a nearly empty PE cabin. AA mileage posted under original Y booking class.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:50 am

Thanks for the information. I guess I won't be earning any additional EQMs or EQDs which is frustrating but understood since a partner is involved. I did go ahead and clarify my original post after seeing your confusion about the vehicle used for the upgrade. The upgrade is purely with cash and no Avios involved. Since it is an AA ticketed itinerary British Airways won't allow upgrades with Avios unless purchasing full-fare coach tickets which this is not. As such, the only alternative is to pay cash at the airport is space is available.

I typically would just by the World Traveler Plus itinerary direct from British Airways but the prices were prohibitive on this itinerary in comparison to AA's coach fares so it works out better to upgrade coming home if available.
If you pay the full cash difference between the 2 classes, which is called upfaring, then you've effectively purchased the higher class and earn accordingly. On the other hand, if you're offered a lower upgrade fee at check-in or airport, as below, you don't.

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Did this on AA-coded BA flight LHR-BAH last November at the LHR T5 check-in desks. Upgrade fee was only $150 - well worth it for a 6+hr flight in a nearly empty PE cabin. AA mileage posted under original Y booking class.

-FlyerBeek
And that was only because you'd paid the full Y fare rather than a discounted fare, presumably?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

You cannot use avios to upgrade to upgrade an AA flight unless the ticket is issued by BA (125 ticket stock) and is in one of the expensive full fare classes. Since you say that your ticket is AA ticketed (001) then this alone disqualifies you from using avios to upgrade.
Also see this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
So in the past I have been able to upgrade AA ticketed but British Airways operated flights from economy (world traveler) to premium economy (World Traveler plus) at the British Airways Galleries Lounge for a flat amount in cash (no miles involved). I was thinking of trying this again on my next flight since I do prefer Premium Economy to Economy on British Airways. However, I was curious under the new mileage scheme would I earn miles based on the original fare class or the upgraded fare class?

JC
I've never tried asking at the lounge, but I thought this was not possible on 001- stock. Can you confirm this worked on 001- stock in the past? If so maybe I'll try poking around at the lounge (did this work on an O class fare or something? how much was the difference?) Have a lot of BA flights coming up for various reasons...
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by no2chem
I've never tried asking at the lounge, but I thought this was not possible on 001- stock. Can you confirm this worked on 001- stock in the past? If so maybe I'll try poking around at the lounge (did this work on an O class fare or something? how much was the difference?) Have a lot of BA flights coming up for various reasons...
You can do a cash airport upgrade promotion (AUP) on a BA flight regardless of ticket stock. There are no guarantees that an AUP will be available. Ymmv, may vary with the BA location, some may not be bothered with a non-BA issued ticket.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...17-thread.html

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Apr 23, 2017 at 4:16 pm
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
And that was only because you'd paid the full Y fare rather than a discounted fare, presumably?
No. In my case it definitely wasn't an up-fare and I was given the impression that $150 was the PE upgrade cost of the day for that flight for anyone, regardless of the original coach fare.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Assuming we're talking about earning on AAdvantage, who plates the ticket is not relevant, though the operating and marketing carriers are.

OP, can you please clarify whether this is an AA-marketed BA-operated codeshare, or a BA-marketed BA-operated flight?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
No. In my case it definitely wasn't an up-fare and I was given the impression that $150 was the PE upgrade cost of the day for that flight for anyone, regardless of the original coach fare.

-FlyerBeek
Well, I wasn't thinking that $150 was necessarily a full upfare. In any case, $150 from any Econ fare is indeed quite a deal.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave
Assuming we're talking about earning on AAdvantage, who plates the ticket is not relevant, though the operating and marketing carriers are.

OP, can you please clarify whether this is an AA-marketed BA-operated codeshare, or a BA-marketed BA-operated flight?
Thanks everyone for the assistance. In the end my inbound flight to LHR was delayed to the point they had already closed out the flight and only agents at LHR can do the upgrade unfortunately, and I am assuming LGW as well so there was no ability to upgrade. I have heard this response from agents in the lounges and a check-in at various European airports.

As far as clarification, the flight in question was AA-marketed and BA-operated.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: Etihad, qatar, jet airways, emirates, air india
Upgrade

Buying a AA flight operated by BA , would i be able to upgrade ?
The booking code is : n
Old May 11, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
"N" is for "No."

That said, you may be able to pay for an upgrade at check-in. It would be to Premium Economy, not Business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.