Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAdvantage Miles Upgrade Awards and options on other carriers
Only allowed on specific British Airways (BA) and Iberia (IB)fares

AADVANTAGE PARTICIPATING AIRLINES UPGRADE AWARDS (See: Mileage upgrades on British Airways and Iberia)

AAdvantage members may use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights*. Miles may be used to upgrade yourself or anyone you designate. And now, you can upgrade tickets booked by American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com) as well as bookings made through a travel agency or other source.

Each one-way upgrade is valid up to three segments from an individual published full fare ticket per the chart below. Definitions of the eligible fare types are as follows:
  • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y (excluding Military or Government fares) on American
  • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y or B on British Airways or Iberia
  • Premium Economy with published World Traveller Plus fares booked in W (unrestricted fares only) on British Airways. Doesn’t apply to Excursion fares.
  • Full-Fare Club World Business with published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways or Iberia
  • British Airways flight must be coded BAxxx on the ticket (AA codeshare flights are not eligible for upgrades and must be converted / booked as BA prime flights)
  • British Airways must operate the LONGEST SEGMENT on the itinerary to be eligible for an upgrade
**Upgrades on British Airways from Economy Class (World Traveller) are valid to Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus) where a Premium Economy Cabin exists, and from Premium Economy to Business (Club World).

Upgrade requests can be made when you make your initial reservation or after you have purchased your ticket, but must be made prior to checking in for your flight.

To request an upgrade award contact Reservations or visit an American Airlines Travel Center.Service charges may apply. If you have already purchased a ticket and you wish to use a mileage upgrade award, please have your reservation details available for our reservation agent.

*Includes travel on codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers.

Link to aa.com page with award chart, language, etc. (IMPORTANT TO READ IN ITS ENTIRETY)

As Microwave points out, AA must have some involvement with the ticket:

American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia flights or codeshare flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia are eligible. Reservations booked through a source other than American Airlines must include at least one flight with an American Airlines flight number in order to be eligible (includes codeshare flights operated by British Airways or Iberia but booked as an American Airlines flight number.)
See post 338 for useful information.

updated 4 Sep 2016 by JDiver

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
BA marketed, AA operated flights

If I have a B fare on a BA marketed, AA operated flight (JFK-SFO) is this upgradeable with AA miles?

It would seem that the answer is Yes, but there must be an AA marketed flight on the ticket somewhere - or AA ticket stock - is that correct?

Thanks - and apologies if this is already answered elsewhere.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
If I have a B fare on a BA marketed, AA operated flight (JFK-SFO) is this upgradeable with AA miles?

It would seem that the answer is Yes, but there must be an AA marketed flight on the ticket somewhere - or AA ticket stock - is that correct?

Thanks - and apologies if this is already answered elsewhere.
It will need to 1st be rebooked onto the AA flight number , then may be able to be upgraded using miles.

Can the flight be rebooked onto AA?

Whether it can then be upgraded may depend on whether it is a fare where the ticket can be reissued by AA
Old Feb 14, 2017, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It will need to 1st be rebooked onto the AA flight number , then may be able to be upgraded using miles.

Can the flight be rebooked onto AA?

Whether it can then be upgraded may depend on whether it is a fare where the ticket can be reissued by AA
I knew it wouldn't be simple! But the essence is similar to upgrading BA metal, AA flight number, I guess - they need to change it to a prime flight number first, and that depends on who 'owns' or can access the ticket. And presumably one shouldn't assume that a B fare on the BA# will translate to a B fare on the prime AA#.

I'll just start by asking our corporate travel agent if they can book it as an AA flight number to begin with and still get the great price I was seeing – as part of a BA Premium Economy trip from SFO-LHR and returning from Manchester.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:02 pm

I knew it wouldn't be simple! But the essence is similar to upgrading BA metal, AA flight number, I guess - they need to change it to a prime flight number first, and that depends on who 'owns' or can access the ticket. And presumably one shouldn't assume that a B fare on the BA# will translate to a B fare on the prime AA#.

I'll just start by asking our corporate travel agent if they can book it as an AA flight number to begin with and still get the great price I was seeing – as part of a BA Premium Economy trip from SFO-LHR and returning from Manchester.
You cannot upgrade on the codeshare - you need to get the travel agent to book on the AA flight number. If the fare doesn't allow use of the AA flight number, then you are likely out of luck

The fare will not correspond to B on AA since AA no longer uses B class - it is very unlikely to correspond to Y. As such, if AA can reissue the ticket with an upgrade ( assuming C class is available anyway ) , then it will be 15,000 points and $75 for the upgrade

I would suggest that you are likely better off just booking a non stop flight from LHR-SFO and save the miles
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

When you want to upgrade a codeshare flight, the rules for the marketing carrier apply. While B can be upgraded as an AA prime flight, it cannot be upgraded as a BA*AA flight. If you want to upgrade a BA*AA flight with AA miles then the flight must be booked in Y class. It does not matter what the booking code will map into on AA; the re-booking onto the operating carrier happens because the upgrade booking classes only exist on the operating carrier. Even though it has not been confirmed officially, I tend to believe that the ticket must be issued by AA/on AA stock in order to process an upgrade. I don't think AA will do anything with 125 stock.

If you want to travel to a joint business destination then it is possible to book the domestic flight as AA prime flight, however, if the underlying fare is T the flight will book into H on AA.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold

Please have a look at the relevant AA page and see for yourself. Upgrading BA-marketed AA-operated is possible, with caveats:

Mileage upgrade awards on British Airways and Iberia are valid on individual published-fare tickets on flights marketed or operated by American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia on eligible published fares only for fare classes J, C, D, R, W, Y, B
Reservations booked through a source other than American Airlines must include at least one flight with an American Airlines flight number in order to be eligible.
You will notice BA's B qualifies. So, as far as I can see, your original assumption was correct.

You will notice there's been much discussion on this thread about needing to change marketing carrier, but that was always related to the whole PE mess, which does not apply here. Your reference to this being "part of a BA Premium Economy trip" may have muddied the waters.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
...You will notice there's been much discussion on this thread about needing to change marketing carrier, but that was always related to the whole PE mess...
I wouldn't say that that's the case.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:07 am

Please have a look at the relevant AA page and see for yourself. Upgrading BA-marketed AA-operated is possible, with caveats:

You will notice BA's B qualifies. So, as far as I can see, your original assumption was correct.

You will notice there's been much discussion on this thread about needing to change marketing carrier, but that was always related to the whole PE mess, which does not apply here. Your reference to this being "part of a BA Premium Economy trip" may have muddied the waters.
If you look at the page, you can see that for upgrade from economy, the valid classes states

■Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y (excluding Military or Government fares)

and that B is no longer listed as an upgrade class from economy . The table used to be less clear and also allow B, but no longer lists B

Regardless, in order to upgrade, it is necessary to rebook onto the AA flight number and B is no longer offered by AA so cannot convert to B.

Also., there is no partner award upgrade for within North America , only for North America to either of Europe, Africa ( via Europe ) or Indian Subcontinent/Middle East
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:20 pm

If you look at the page, you can see that for upgrade from economy, the valid classes states

■Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y (excluding Military or Government fares)

and that B is no longer listed as an upgrade class from economy . The table used to be less clear and also allow B, but no longer lists B

Regardless, in order to upgrade, it is necessary to rebook onto the AA flight number and B is no longer offered by AA so cannot convert to B.

Also., there is no partner award upgrade for within North America , only for North America to either of Europe, Africa ( via Europe ) or Indian Subcontinent/Middle East
Thanks Dave - and thanks everyone else for weighing in. I had read those various pages and reached similar conclusions, but it is clear throughout FT that actual experience probably counts for more than reading and re-reading some of AA's pages

Anyway, my corporate TA booked it as an AA# (in H) followed by BA#'s on the BA flights and it came in at $200 more than the BA# on the AA SFO-JFK flight, but it was still under $1500 (SFO-JFK-LHR; MAN-LHR-SFO with TATL in WT+). Yes, the SFO-JFK upgrade (if it clears) will cost me a $75 copay, but I have a credit on my Citi Prestige card that will take care of that.

Not at all sure how it will all credit to AA, but thats for a different thread!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:51 pm

Ok, now I'm getting a headache.

"Regardless, in order to upgrade, it is necessary to rebook onto the AA flight number"

Where is this coming from? The AA page says:

"Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights* for yourself or anyone you designate."

"*Includes travel on codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers."

That certainly sounds to me like BA-marketed and AA-operated is allowed. Or, for that matter, IB-marketed and BA-operated, or l...
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:59 pm

"Regardless, in order to upgrade, it is necessary to rebook onto the AA flight number"

Where is this coming from? The AA page says:

"Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights* for yourself or anyone you designate."

"*Includes travel on codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers."

That certainly sounds to me like BA-marketed and AA-operated is allowed. Or, for that matter, IB-marketed and BA-operated, or l...
You cannot upgrade on the codeshare. To start with, the airlines in question do not offer award availability on the codeshares. The only award availability that exists for upgrades is on the operating carrier flight number

If booked on a codeshare - in order for the upgrade to be possible, rebooking onto the actual operating flight number is required
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Where is this coming from?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26356295-post341.html

(It's more accurate to say "converted" rather than "rebooked" since it's an internal process)
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26356295-post341.html

(It's more accurate to say "converted" rather than "rebooked" since it's an internal process)
Thanks. And AA doesn't put the critical sentence "The segment must be converted from a codeshare to a prime flight" on the publicly-facing partner-upgrade page because the conversion usually just works and the passenger doesn't even need to know it happened. And they cover the can't-convert cases by listing the partner classes they can. Except that they are months late (typical!) in dropping B from that list.

Got it. I can finally stop my weeks-long head-scratching over claims that "PE won't work because you have to convert".

Hmm, so, while the PE problem will (maybe?) go away when AA fully rolls out PE, the B disconnect presumably will not.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
You cannot upgrade on the codeshare. To start with, the airlines in question do not offer award availability on the codeshares. The only award availability that exists for upgrades is on the operating carrier flight number

If booked on a codeshare - in order for the upgrade to be possible, rebooking onto the actual operating flight number is required
It is possible to upgrade a codeshare flight. Whether or not AA has B class now has no relevance here. Even if B class on a BA*AA flight were eligible it would not have mattered what class it would have been re-booked into on the prime AA flight. The eligibility is determined based on the marketing carrier flight. If B on BA is eligible then it may map into Q on AA but the upgrade would have still been possible. The re-booking onto the operating carrier is a technical thing. As long as the booking class on the marketing carrier's booking class qualifies, that's all that matters. The eligibility is not determined on the basis of the booking class on the operating carrier. BA's B class maps into H on AA now that AA has withdrawn B class, however, when it was still possible to upgrade BA*AA codeshares with Avios, B class on BA*AA was still eligible regardless of the fact that it was H class on AA. Re-booking (or converting as JonNYC correctly pointed out) onto the operating carrier is simply a part of the process, which does not affect the upgrade itself at all. So, in order for the upgrade to be possible the booking class on the marketing carrier must qualify and there must be availability in the upgraded class on the operating carrier. The internal process of first re-booking onto the operating carrier is just that.

Thanks. And AA doesn't put the critical sentence "The segment must be converted from a codeshare to a prime flight" on the publicly-facing partner-upgrade page because the conversion
It is an internal thing that passengers should not even be aware of. All you need to know is whether the booking on the marketing carrier qualifies and whether there is availability in the upgraded booking class. And with JB routes the booking classes are usually the same (expect for B), and if there is Y class on A BA*AA flight there will be Y on the same flight under AA number. The rules do not say that there needs to be a certain commercial booking class on the operating carrier.

Last edited by Andriyko; Feb 15, 2017 at 2:25 pm
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
It is possible to upgrade a codeshare flight. Whether or not AA has B class now has no relevance here. Even if B class on a BA*AA flight were eligible it would not have mattered what class it would have been re-booked into on the prime AA flight. The eligibility is determined based on the marketing carrier flight. If B on BA is eligible then it may map into Q on AA but the upgrade would have still been possible. The re-booking onto the operating carrier is a technical thing. As long as the booking class on the marketing carrier's booking class qualifies, that's all that matters. The eligibility is not determined on the basis of the booking class on the operating carrier. BA's B class maps into H on AA now that AA has withdrawn B class, however, when it was still possible to upgrade BA*AA codeshares with Avios, B class on BA*AA was still eligible regardless of the fact that it was H class on AA. Re-booking (or converting as JonNYC correctly pointed out) onto the operating carrier is simply a part of the process, which does not affect the upgrade itself at all. So, in order for the upgrade to be possible the booking class on the marketing carrier must qualify and there must be availability in the upgraded class on the operating carrier. The internal process of first re-booking onto the operating carrier is just that.

It is an internal thing that passengers should not even be aware of. All you need to know is whether the booking on the marketing carrier qualifies and whether there is availability in the upgraded booking class. And with JB routes the booking classes are usually the same (expect for B), and if there is Y class on A BA*AA flight there will be Y on the same flight under AA number. The rules do not say that there needs to be a certain commercial booking class on the operating carrier.
Yes, yes, the conversion is internal. I thought my post made it clear that I had grasped that fact.

In any case, your argument is not with me. My post was nothing more than an attempt to make sense of the situation and the reasoning which led to the experts' claim that upgrading was not possible. You appear to believe it is possible, so I'll just sit here with my popcorn and watch the disagreement sort itself out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.