Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAdvantage Miles Upgrade Awards and options on other carriers
Only allowed on specific British Airways (BA) and Iberia (IB)fares

AADVANTAGE PARTICIPATING AIRLINES UPGRADE AWARDS (See: Mileage upgrades on British Airways and Iberia)

AAdvantage members may use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights*. Miles may be used to upgrade yourself or anyone you designate. And now, you can upgrade tickets booked by American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com) as well as bookings made through a travel agency or other source.

Each one-way upgrade is valid up to three segments from an individual published full fare ticket per the chart below. Definitions of the eligible fare types are as follows:
  • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y (excluding Military or Government fares) on American
  • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y or B on British Airways or Iberia
  • Premium Economy with published World Traveller Plus fares booked in W (unrestricted fares only) on British Airways. Doesn’t apply to Excursion fares.
  • Full-Fare Club World Business with published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways or Iberia
  • British Airways flight must be coded BAxxx on the ticket (AA codeshare flights are not eligible for upgrades and must be converted / booked as BA prime flights)
  • British Airways must operate the LONGEST SEGMENT on the itinerary to be eligible for an upgrade
**Upgrades on British Airways from Economy Class (World Traveller) are valid to Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus) where a Premium Economy Cabin exists, and from Premium Economy to Business (Club World).

Upgrade requests can be made when you make your initial reservation or after you have purchased your ticket, but must be made prior to checking in for your flight.

To request an upgrade award contact Reservations or visit an American Airlines Travel Center.Service charges may apply. If you have already purchased a ticket and you wish to use a mileage upgrade award, please have your reservation details available for our reservation agent.

*Includes travel on codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers.

Link to aa.com page with award chart, language, etc. (IMPORTANT TO READ IN ITS ENTIRETY)

As Microwave points out, AA must have some involvement with the ticket:

American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia flights or codeshare flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia are eligible. Reservations booked through a source other than American Airlines must include at least one flight with an American Airlines flight number in order to be eligible (includes codeshare flights operated by British Airways or Iberia but booked as an American Airlines flight number.)
See post 338 for useful information.

updated 4 Sep 2016 by JDiver

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
[<redacted>

No - I think it belongs in the AA forum because OP is asking about using AA miles. If OP was asking about using AA miles to book CX, he shouldn't ask that in the CX forum.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 30, 2016 at 1:48 pm Reason: Redacted quited post challenging moderator action
Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
AA ticketed flight BA metal award upgrade

So the strangest thing I booked a flight and the representative on the phone said I could upgrade using miles and I was like but its on BA metal and i have an ultra low fare (O) she then said no they are our codeshare partners so its fine by us. I still didn't believe her called back a week later and the rep said the same thing. So now I decided to pull the trigger and do it, I called and the guy talked to me funny and said uhh you cant do that its on BA metal and I asked about the other agents and he said maybe there's something new they havent trained me about yet.

So what is it? Should I just keep calling until someone allows it? Or were those two reps mistaken?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Amil
So the strangest thing I booked a flight and the representative on the phone said I could upgrade using miles and I was like but its on BA metal and i have an ultra low fare (O) she then said no they are our codeshare partners so its fine by us. I still didn't believe her called back a week later and the rep said the same thing. So now I decided to pull the trigger and do it, I called and the guy talked to me funny and said uhh you cant do that its on BA metal and I asked about the other agents and he said maybe there's something new they havent trained me about yet.

So what is it? Should I just keep calling until someone allows it? Or were those two reps mistaken?
Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page.

/Moderator
Old Nov 6, 2016, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<redacted>

The agents that told you that you can upgrade on BA from an O class fare were incorrect.

The person that told you that you cannot upgrade was indeed correct and you were correct to disbelieve the 1st agent

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 6, 2016 at 6:09 am Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:07 am
Original Poster

You should read the Wikipost at the top of the page, as it specifically addresss your questions.

AAdvantage Miles Upgrade Awards / Options on Other Carriers
Only allowed on specific BA / British Airways, IB / Iberia fares

AADVANTAGE PARTICIPATING AIRLINES UPGRADE AWARDS (See: Mileage upgrades on British Airways and Iberia)

AAdvantage members may use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights*. Miles may be used to upgrade yourself or anyone you designate. And now, you can upgrade tickets booked by American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com) as well as bookings made through a travel agency or other source.

Each one-way upgrade is valid up to three segments from an individual published full fare ticket per the chart below. Definitions of the eligible fare types are as follows:

. . Full Fare Economy includes published fares booked in Y or B (excluding Military or Government fares)

. . ● Full Fare Premium Economy refers to World Traveller Plus published fares booked in W on British Airways

. . ● Full Fare Business includes published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways

**Upgrades on British Airways from Economy Class (Traveller) are valid to Premium Economy (Traveller Plus) where a Premium Economy Cabin exists, and from Premium Economy to Business (Club).

Upgrade requests can be made when you make your initial reservation or after you have purchased your ticket, but must be made prior to checking in for your flight.

To request an upgrade award contact Reservations or visit an American Airlines Travel Center.Service charges may apply. If you have already purchased a ticket and you wish to use a mileage upgrade award, please have your reservation details available for our reservation agent.

*Includes travel on codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers.

Link to aa.com page with award chart, language, etc. (IMPORTANT TO READ IN ITS ENTIRETY)

American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia flights or codeshare flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia are eligible. Reservations booked through a source other than American Airlines must include at least one flight with an American Airlines flight number in order to be eligible (includes codeshare flights operated by British Airways or Iberia but booked as an American Airlines flight number.)

H
Old Nov 6, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by JDiver
You should read the Wikipost at the top of the page, as it specifically addresss your questions.

AAdvantage Miles Upgrade Awards / Options on Other Carriers
Only allowed on specific BA / British Airways, IB / Iberia fares

. . Full Fare Economy includes published fares booked in Y or B (excluding Military or Government fares)

. . ● Full Fare Premium Economy refers to World Traveller Plus published fares booked in W on British Airways

. . ● Full Fare Business includes published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways

**Upgrades on British Airways from Economy Class (Traveller) are valid to Premium Economy (Traveller Plus) where a Premium Economy Cabin exists, and from Premium Economy to Business (Club).

H
Wow lot of work but sorry hopefully you're not offended again that's not the answer to my question.

Maybe I need to be more clear. In my original post I thought it was clear that I understood the wiki's and AA policy but when 2 out of the 3 phone agents say its possible and they do have room and they are ready to book as they looked to see that there was availability even with them knowing my record locator and me telling me them it was an O fare, you might think there is a chance and want to ask on a forum like here that knows of stuff outside the normal box.

Could these reps have actually booked it? Or when they got to the booking they would have been stopped?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 7:59 am
Suspended

Wow lot of work but sorry hopefully you're not offended again that's not the answer to my question.

Maybe I need to be more clear. In my original post I thought it was clear that I understood the wiki's and AA policy but when 2 out of the 3 phone agents say its possible and they do have room and they are ready to book as they looked to see that there was availability even with them knowing my record locator and me telling me them it was an O fare, you might think there is a chance and want to ask on a forum like here that knows of stuff outside the normal box.

Could these reps have actually booked it? Or when they got to the booking they would have been stopped?
Would not have been able to.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

The agents were misinformed. They can not upgrade a coach fare other than B or Y with AA miles (and then only to World Traveller Plus) under your given circumstances (AA ticket on BA for a highly discounted "O" fare). (As well, Microwave was quoted as stating AA must have some involvement with your ticketing.)

I suspect at best your ticket might have gone to "on request" and then been disapproved by the rate desk; you could also have requested an upscale to a full B or Y fare, most likely at significant additional cost, in which case the upgrade could be granted if there was availability.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:03 am

How to upgrade class of BA flight booked through AA?

Not sure if this can even be done but, I booked an economy ticket (O fair) on BA through AA using cash. I have quite a few points saved up and was wondering if it was at all possible to upgrade to business using points? Much appreciated.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by camhabib
Not sure if this can even be done but, I booked an economy ticket (O fair) on BA through AA using cash. I have quite a few points saved up and was wondering if it was at all possible to upgrade to business using points? Much appreciated.
If the flight is on BA metal, the only way to upgrade would be with a Participating Airline Upgrade, however O fares are not eligible.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:14 pm

AA W is not the same as BA prime W

After wasting a few hours today and yesterday trying unsuccessfully to upgrade a BA LAX-LHR roundtrip bookable on aa.com in premium economy (W) to Club world/Biz and hearing at least three different explanations from agents, I finally understand an important distinction. It's been mentioned previously in this thread, but to reiterate:

The only premium economy fare that is upgradeable using AA miles into BA business is a BA premium economy fare booked in BA W. BA W is NOT the same thing as the premium economy fares quoted on its website, which may also be bookable as AA code shares. Those are non-refundable premium economy fares which book into BA T inventory. AA W maps to BA T. AA W does NOT map to BA W, which is a fully refundable fare that costs more than a non-refundable business ticket in most cases.

This is not very clear at all on AA's website. Several agents were misinformed, and in any case the policy makes very little sense. It is virtually impossible to upgrade using AA miles on BA, unless you've booked a very expensive flexible fare to begin with.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by loudnotes
<snip>

This is not very clear at all on AA's website. Several agents were misinformed, and in any case the policy makes very little sense. It is virtually impossible to upgrade using AA miles on BA, unless you've booked a very expensive flexible fare to begin with.
That's the idea.

It's what is posted in the Wikipost.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:01 pm

The website ( https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp ) is actually pretty explicit these days. It does state that upgrades from WT+ require

Originally Posted by AA.com
■Premium Economy with published World Traveller Plus fares booked in W on British Airways
There is no mention of upgrades on AA codeshares
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no mention of upgrades on AA codeshares
You're mistaken. Just below the chart on the linked page, it reads:

"*Includes travel on codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers."

Since a BA ticket must be issued on AA ticket stock to be upgradeable with AA miles to begin with and AA generally tickets these flights as codeshares, this is a distinction without a difference. If an upgrade were actually made available, AA just reissues the ticket as a BA prime flight.

In any case, what is not clear from AA's website and should really be made more explicit is that "BA W" != "AA W". When a customer goes to book a BA flight on aa.com, they are confusingly shown a fare code of "W" for premium economy and not told that this W is not the same as the BA W until wasting lots of time on the phone.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by loudnotes
You're mistaken. Just below the chart on the linked page, it reads:

"*Includes travel on codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers."

Since a BA ticket must be issued on AA ticket stock to be upgradeable with AA miles to begin with and AA generally tickets these flights as codeshares, this is a distinction without a difference. If an upgrade were actually made available, AA just reissues the ticket as a BA prime flight.

In any case, what is not clear from AA's website and should really be made more explicit is that "BA W" != "AA W". When a customer goes to book a BA flight on aa.com, they are confusingly shown a fare code of "W" for premium economy and not told that this W is not the same as the BA W until wasting lots of time on the phone.
In the generic overview where it states that upgrades can be done on IB,AA and BA, there is an asterisk to the footnote regarding codeshares being eligible

In the specifics for
Economy-Premium Economy/business - there is no airline restrictiom, so upgrades permitted on IB,BA,AA Y class fares
Business-First - limited to AA J,D,R classes and BA J,D,D,R classes
and for
Premium Economy-Business - limited to BA W class only

From this, it seems pretty explicit that only BA marketed flights are eligible for upgrades to premium economy. Since the other 2 airlines do not currently offer a premium economy cabin, there isn't going to be a codeshare option

When AA starts offering premium economy on its flights, this table will need to be updated or will again be misleading

That converting an AA flight booking to a BA prime booking requires that the fare basis be one that converts over to W class on BA would be good information regarding the ability to deal with AA codeshares on BA, but doesn't seem necessary given the upgrade restriction being BA only

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 3, 2016 at 3:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.