FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:07 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Amil
So the strangest thing I booked a flight and the representative on the phone said I could upgrade using miles and I was like but its on BA metal and i have an ultra low fare (O) she then said no they are our codeshare partners so its fine by us. I still didn't believe her called back a week later and the rep said the same thing. So now I decided to pull the trigger and do it, I called and the guy talked to me funny and said uhh you cant do that its on BA metal and I asked about the other agents and he said maybe there's something new they havent trained me about yet.

So what is it? Should I just keep calling until someone allows it? Or were those two reps mistaken?
You should read the Wikipost at the top of the page, as it specifically addresss your questions.

AAdvantage Miles Upgrade Awards / Options on Other Carriers
Only allowed on specific BA / British Airways, IB / Iberia fares

AADVANTAGE PARTICIPATING AIRLINES UPGRADE AWARDS (See: Mileage upgrades on British Airways and Iberia)

AAdvantage members may use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights*. Miles may be used to upgrade yourself or anyone you designate. And now, you can upgrade tickets booked by American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com) as well as bookings made through a travel agency or other source.

Each one-way upgrade is valid up to three segments from an individual published full fare ticket per the chart below. Definitions of the eligible fare types are as follows:

. . Full Fare Economy includes published fares booked in Y or B (excluding Military or Government fares)

. . ● Full Fare Premium Economy refers to World Traveller Plus published fares booked in W on British Airways

. . ● Full Fare Business includes published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways

**Upgrades on British Airways from Economy Class (Traveller) are valid to Premium Economy (Traveller Plus) where a Premium Economy Cabin exists, and from Premium Economy to Business (Club).

Upgrade requests can be made when you make your initial reservation or after you have purchased your ticket, but must be made prior to checking in for your flight.

To request an upgrade award contact Reservations or visit an American Airlines Travel Center.Service charges may apply. If you have already purchased a ticket and you wish to use a mileage upgrade award, please have your reservation details available for our reservation agent.

*Includes travel on codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers.

Link to aa.com page with award chart, language, etc. (IMPORTANT TO READ IN ITS ENTIRETY)

As Microwave points out, AA must have some involvement with the ticket:

American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia flights or codeshare flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia are eligible. Reservations booked through a source other than American Airlines must include at least one flight with an American Airlines flight number in order to be eligible (includes codeshare flights operated by British Airways or Iberia but booked as an American Airlines flight number.)

See post 338 for useful information.
H