Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAdvantage Miles Upgrade Awards and options on other carriers
Only allowed on specific British Airways (BA) and Iberia (IB)fares

AADVANTAGE PARTICIPATING AIRLINES UPGRADE AWARDS (See: Mileage upgrades on British Airways and Iberia)

AAdvantage members may use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights*. Miles may be used to upgrade yourself or anyone you designate. And now, you can upgrade tickets booked by American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com) as well as bookings made through a travel agency or other source.

Each one-way upgrade is valid up to three segments from an individual published full fare ticket per the chart below. Definitions of the eligible fare types are as follows:
  • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y (excluding Military or Government fares) on American
  • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y or B on British Airways or Iberia
  • Premium Economy with published World Traveller Plus fares booked in W (unrestricted fares only) on British Airways. Doesn’t apply to Excursion fares.
  • Full-Fare Club World Business with published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways or Iberia
  • British Airways flight must be coded BAxxx on the ticket (AA codeshare flights are not eligible for upgrades and must be converted / booked as BA prime flights)
  • British Airways must operate the LONGEST SEGMENT on the itinerary to be eligible for an upgrade
**Upgrades on British Airways from Economy Class (World Traveller) are valid to Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus) where a Premium Economy Cabin exists, and from Premium Economy to Business (Club World).

Upgrade requests can be made when you make your initial reservation or after you have purchased your ticket, but must be made prior to checking in for your flight.

To request an upgrade award contact Reservations or visit an American Airlines Travel Center.Service charges may apply. If you have already purchased a ticket and you wish to use a mileage upgrade award, please have your reservation details available for our reservation agent.

*Includes travel on codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers.

Link to aa.com page with award chart, language, etc. (IMPORTANT TO READ IN ITS ENTIRETY)

As Microwave points out, AA must have some involvement with the ticket:

American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia flights or codeshare flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia are eligible. Reservations booked through a source other than American Airlines must include at least one flight with an American Airlines flight number in order to be eligible (includes codeshare flights operated by British Airways or Iberia but booked as an American Airlines flight number.)
See post 338 for useful information.

updated 4 Sep 2016 by JDiver

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2023, 8:43 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I have our family booked on BA ticket stock for ALG-LON-LAX w a mix of BA coded/BA operated flights and a BA coded AA operated flight. I'm interested in whether the LHR-LAX segment below can be upgraded w AA miles:

ALG-LGW (J class BA)
--->LHR-LAX (D class, BA281) <------
LAX-LHR (R class, BA coded/AA operated)
LGW-ALG (J class, BA)

F cabin shows A5 currently for BA 281.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 10:15 am

Question Upgrading from Premium Economy

Hi There,

I've purchased a premium economy ticket from Miami to London Heathrow. The flight will be operated by BA. The main reason for going with a BA operated flight over an AA operated flight is that I'll be flying on to Manchester which will be a BA operated flight. AA arrives in Terminal 3 and BA operate out of Terminal 5. So my reason for going BA on the MIA - LHR leg is to ensure I don't have to change terminals, which is a major PITA at LHR and I've missed connections in the past.

I called AA today to ask if I could be put on the upgrade list for the MIA - LHR leg using miles only to be told that on BA flights I would have to have a class W ticket to be eligible for upgrade and apparently mine is a class P ticket. Tried to google what the differences are but didn't find out anything. My gut is telling me that perhaps class P is not a full fare ticket, which amazes me since the cost of the flight was over $2k

Anyway, wanted to ask on there if what AA is telling me is correct. I assume it is but wanted to hear other feedback on this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 10:31 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dtwconsulting
Hi There,

I've purchased a premium economy ticket from Miami to London Heathrow. The flight will be operated by BA. The main reason for going with a BA operated flight over an AA operated flight is that I'll be flying on to Manchester which will be a BA operated flight. AA arrives in Terminal 3 and BA operate out of Terminal 5. So my reason for going BA on the MIA - LHR leg is to ensure I don't have to change terminals, which is a major PITA at LHR and I've missed connections in the past.

I called AA today to ask if I could be put on the upgrade list for the MIA - LHR leg using miles only to be told that on BA flights I would have to have a class W ticket to be eligible for upgrade and apparently mine is a class P ticket. Tried to google what the differences are but didn't find out anything. My gut is telling me that perhaps class P is not a full fare ticket, which amazes me since the cost of the flight was over $2k

Anyway, wanted to ask on there if what AA is telling me is correct. I assume it is but wanted to hear other feedback on this.
P is not full fare, W is. The Ts and Cs are written out here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp
Old Jan 29, 2024, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As mentioned, P is not full fare, Doing a check , it would seem that you would be looking at a fare of about $4103 one way or $6850 round trip for a fare that books into W class on BA
Old Jan 29, 2024, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by dtwconsulting
Hi There,

If you have (or can score) a SWU (Systemwide Upgrade) and there is award space on that MIA-LHR available in Business, you can use the SWU to upgrade for free. See SWU upgrades on BA are live.

Otherwise, for the time being and as others have said, you're stuck paying for the cost of the upfare plus BA's change fees (Yes, BA charges change fees to upfare) when it's a cash itinerary booked through AA unless you're already in W.

Last edited by bscooter26; Jan 29, 2024 at 2:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.