Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAdvantage Miles Upgrade Awards and options on other carriers
Only allowed on specific British Airways (BA) and Iberia (IB)fares

AADVANTAGE PARTICIPATING AIRLINES UPGRADE AWARDS (See: Mileage upgrades on British Airways and Iberia)

AAdvantage members may use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights*. Miles may be used to upgrade yourself or anyone you designate. And now, you can upgrade tickets booked by American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com) as well as bookings made through a travel agency or other source.

Each one-way upgrade is valid up to three segments from an individual published full fare ticket per the chart below. Definitions of the eligible fare types are as follows:
  • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y (excluding Military or Government fares) on American
  • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y or B on British Airways or Iberia
  • Premium Economy with published World Traveller Plus fares booked in W (unrestricted fares only) on British Airways. Doesn’t apply to Excursion fares.
  • Full-Fare Club World Business with published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways or Iberia
  • British Airways flight must be coded BAxxx on the ticket (AA codeshare flights are not eligible for upgrades and must be converted / booked as BA prime flights)
  • British Airways must operate the LONGEST SEGMENT on the itinerary to be eligible for an upgrade
**Upgrades on British Airways from Economy Class (World Traveller) are valid to Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus) where a Premium Economy Cabin exists, and from Premium Economy to Business (Club World).

Upgrade requests can be made when you make your initial reservation or after you have purchased your ticket, but must be made prior to checking in for your flight.

To request an upgrade award contact Reservations or visit an American Airlines Travel Center.Service charges may apply. If you have already purchased a ticket and you wish to use a mileage upgrade award, please have your reservation details available for our reservation agent.

*Includes travel on codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers.

Link to aa.com page with award chart, language, etc. (IMPORTANT TO READ IN ITS ENTIRETY)

As Microwave points out, AA must have some involvement with the ticket:

American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia flights or codeshare flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia are eligible. Reservations booked through a source other than American Airlines must include at least one flight with an American Airlines flight number in order to be eligible (includes codeshare flights operated by British Airways or Iberia but booked as an American Airlines flight number.)
See post 338 for useful information.

updated 4 Sep 2016 by JDiver

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by aj411
Wondering if it is possible to do the following and, if so, how.

We are booked in PE, MIA to MAD in September. Looks like a ton of J availability. We booked as an AA flight but it is operated by IB

I know we can't use miles to upgrade from PE to J but is there a possibility of upgrading with dollars as we get closer? If so, would it be with IB directly or AA?
My guess is until we get to the airport that IB won't deal with us since our "IB" PNR is not a real IB # but a shorter 5 character one used with AA. Also, guessing that AA won't be able to process an upgrade on the IB flight?
Right or wrong? Would it be available at checkin? in MAD?
If we are going to but up, I'd prefer to do it before I leave home rather than at an airport - just my preference.
AJ
Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page. We have merged your query into the e isting thread.

/Moderator

AA PNRs use six characters, al letters. Your five character PNR is not an AA one.

Read the detail in the Wikipost. Though you can upgrade, the conditions seem too restrictive to allow most upgrades.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
I had checked out the WIKI and it didn't look like the exact permutation was covered. I'm looking for the possibility of a cash upgrade not a miles upgrade.If this situation is covered and I missed it , I apologize.
I do know that the 5 digit PNR is not AA (not really IB for that matter).
I have the AA 6 character PNR. AA gave me the "IB" code which is 5 characters. Obviously not a true IB code but according to IB it is the code within AA's system and not their code. IE, unlike other code shares, I can't go directly into the IB site with this PNR and make changes. Looks like a way for AA and IB to restrict access to the reservation to AA site only.
I was just hoping that come close to flying time that I might be able to contact AA or IB for a discounted upgrade if it looks like J is pretty empty.

I know if I was booked directly with IB I could do that. What still isn't clear is if there is a way I can do it with this flight booked through AA on IB.
AJ

Last edited by aj411; Jul 15, 2017 at 12:22 pm
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
By the way, I don't think it matters in this case but I am a Oneworld Sapphire/ AA Platinum status member. I don't' think that will get me any extra when it comes to an international upgrade though
AJ
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta GM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Does anyone have experience of AA or BA waiving the full fare business requirement? I was booked on a three class 777 in business with a confirmed mileage upgrade to First. The plane got changed to a two class 777, I was hoping to get on a British Airways flight in First, however the AA agent said I could only do business since I booked a discounted business ticket.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rfett2
Does anyone have experience of AA or BA waiving the full fare business requirement? I was booked on a three class 777 in business with a confirmed mileage upgrade to First. The plane got changed to a two class 777, I was hoping to get on a British Airways flight in First, however the AA agent said I could only do business since I booked a discounted business ticket.
I'm afraid that's not likely to happen. If it were due to IROPS, you might well be accommodated; I've been re accommodated on BA in my upgraded class of service a few times due to AA IROPS / OSO.

But the only three class 777s are the 77W / 777-300ER, as all the 777-200ERs flying passengers are two class "772" aircraft (there are three more at HAECO HKG being retrofitted to two class 772 standards - the last of 47.)

The good news is you'll have a Business seat superior to the old three class 777 "NGBC" seat r BA Club World seat.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta GM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks! I was hoping this wasn't the case as it appears the only true First class options are on BA. I don't want to risk the Front/Back connected zodiac seats in business on the american metal, so I might try and see if I can get the entire trip refunded.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:04 am

Upgrade on British Airways Operated Flight

I booked a RT flight in October from IAD via LHR to VIE on a British Airways operated flights. I had AA flight numbers for all segments. The Transatlantic segment was premium economy both ways and the connecting flight in Europe was economy both ways.

I called AA and asked to use miles to upgrade to the next cabin using miles. They upgraded me on the first outbound flight to business class and did an exchange through BA (12,500 miles) - giving me a BA flight number for 1 of the 4 segments. The agent didn't make any mention of the connecting flight, and it didn't change, nor do I care about that.

I asked to upgrade the return flight from LHR to IAD, and they told me it is coming back as not available. When I check online, looking at one way single segment fares, it still shows all cabins are available. I'm always on a long hold when I call in to ask, because apparently they need to check with a British Airways system? How do they determine when you can upgrade? Is it coming back not-available because the first segment on the return flight is economy? Is there something special they have to do to upgrade only one premium-economy segment on the end of my itinerary?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:14 am
Original Poster

We have merged your post into the existing master thread.

Please read the Wikipost to see the very restrictive terms of participating airline (BA, IB) upgrades. Being booked in PEY / World Traveller Plus isn't sufficient; you must be booked into the highest PEY fare class to be eligible, and that fare is often higher than discounted Clun World / Business.

As well, the fare class for upgrading may not have seats allocated, regardless of cabin occupancy, just as on any airline upgrade request.

/Moderator
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Being booked in PEY / World Traveller Plus isn't sufficient; you must be booked into the highest PEY fare class to be eligible, and that fare is often higher than discounted Clun World / Business.

As well, the fare class for upgrading may not have seats allocated, regardless of cabin occupancy, just as on any airline upgrade request.

/Moderator
Thank you. I booked W class tickets for the Transatlantic segments, which appear to be eligible to upgrade. I expect the upgrade isn't available then because the upgrade fare class is full? I apologize, I am not well versed in upgrades, this is my first attempt at this. I just wish I could verify this for myself, since the upgrade process calling into AA is very opaque.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by fell
Thank you. I booked W class tickets for the Transatlantic segments, which appear to be eligible to upgrade. I expect the upgrade isn't available then because the upgrade fare class is full? I apologize, I am not well versed in upgrades, this is my first attempt at this. I just wish I could verify this for myself, since the upgrade process calling into AA is very opaque.
I believe you were not supposed to get upgraded to Club World on BA as you must be booked under BA flight number in W class in order to do that. W class booked as an AA flight is excluded.

There needs to be a seat in U (reward) class in order for you to get upgraded. Perhaps there are no reward seats in CW on your flight, which is why an upgrade is not possible.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I believe you were not supposed to get upgraded to Club World on BA as you must be booked under BA flight number in W class in order to do that. W class booked as an AA flight is excluded.

There needs to be a seat in U (reward) class in order for you to get upgraded. Perhaps there are no reward seats in CW on your flight, which is why an upgrade is not possible.
I was booked with AA flight numbers in W, and called the AA gold reservation line and they upgraded me with miles on the BA flight, and no fee since taxes for W class and U are the same. My flight number changed from an AA number to a BA number on the upgraded segment. The email I got says it was an "exchange". So it is possible, whether or not it should have been. I didn't see anything on the AA website that suggested it would not be possible.

Is it worth me calling back later, or if the U class are gone now, ~10 weeks before my flight, is it unlikely there will be any award seats available later?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

Is it worth me calling back later, or if the U class are gone now, ~10 weeks before my flight, is it unlikely there will be any award seats available later?

Reward availability may and does appear at any time so I would check every day (I believe you can do that on aa.com - look for saaver business class rewards on your flight) to see if anything opens up. I would check online, especially if you say that it is taking you a long time to reach/talk to an agent. Once a U class seat opens up on your flight call and request an upgrade. However, do bear in mind that the next agent may be better versed in the rules and advise you that W booked as AA flight # on a BA operated flight cannot be upgraded (unless the rules have changed but the website has not been updated).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Reward availability may and does appear at any time so I would check every day (I believe you can do that on aa.com - look for saaver business class rewards on your flight) to see if anything opens up. I would check online, especially if you say that it is taking you a long time to reach/talk to an agent. Once a U class seat opens up on your flight call and request an upgrade. However, do bear in mind that the next agent may be better versed in the rules and advise you that W booked as AA flight # on a BA operated flight cannot be upgraded (unless the rules have changed but the website has not been updated).
Thank you. I just made sense of all of this in my head. Indeed, it does show up on AA.com. The earlier flight that day has U availability, but the flight I am on does not. I will check online every morning from now on.

It does not take a long time to reach an agent, they answer right away, but whatever system they are checking requires a 10 minute hold once I tell them what I want to do.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
I was booked with AA flight numbers in W, and called the AA gold reservation line and they upgraded me with miles on the BA flight, and no fee since taxes for W class and U are the same.
Two comments:

- AA W (Y+) fares can have a BA equivalent (fare class when switched from AA flight # to BA Prime#) of T, E or W, and they can only be upgraded when their BA equivalent is W. So, you may have had a W-equivalent one way and not for the return.

- BA do not seem to allow Avios upgrades at the airport, so do not rely on being able to persuade them to let you upgrade at the airport - or if you do, be ready to pay the going AUP price in cash.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:50 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Two comments:

- AA W (Y+) fares can have a BA equivalent (fare class when switched from AA flight # to BA Prime#) of T, E or W, and they can only be upgraded when their BA equivalent is W. So, you may have had a W-equivalent one way and not for the return.

- BA do not seem to allow Avios upgrades at the airport, so do not rely on being able to persuade them to let you upgrade at the airport - or if you do, be ready to pay the going AUP price in cash.
Am I right to assume that to get a true W fare, I have to search for refundable tickets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.