Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAdvantage Miles Upgrade Awards and options on other carriers
Only allowed on specific British Airways (BA) and Iberia (IB)fares

AADVANTAGE PARTICIPATING AIRLINES UPGRADE AWARDS (See: Mileage upgrades on British Airways and Iberia)

AAdvantage members may use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights*. Miles may be used to upgrade yourself or anyone you designate. And now, you can upgrade tickets booked by American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com) as well as bookings made through a travel agency or other source.

Each one-way upgrade is valid up to three segments from an individual published full fare ticket per the chart below. Definitions of the eligible fare types are as follows:
  • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y (excluding Military or Government fares) on American
  • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y or B on British Airways or Iberia
  • Premium Economy with published World Traveller Plus fares booked in W (unrestricted fares only) on British Airways. Doesn’t apply to Excursion fares.
  • Full-Fare Club World Business with published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways or Iberia
  • British Airways flight must be coded BAxxx on the ticket (AA codeshare flights are not eligible for upgrades and must be converted / booked as BA prime flights)
  • British Airways must operate the LONGEST SEGMENT on the itinerary to be eligible for an upgrade
**Upgrades on British Airways from Economy Class (World Traveller) are valid to Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus) where a Premium Economy Cabin exists, and from Premium Economy to Business (Club World).

Upgrade requests can be made when you make your initial reservation or after you have purchased your ticket, but must be made prior to checking in for your flight.

To request an upgrade award contact Reservations or visit an American Airlines Travel Center.Service charges may apply. If you have already purchased a ticket and you wish to use a mileage upgrade award, please have your reservation details available for our reservation agent.

*Includes travel on codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers.

Link to aa.com page with award chart, language, etc. (IMPORTANT TO READ IN ITS ENTIRETY)

As Microwave points out, AA must have some involvement with the ticket:

American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia flights or codeshare flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia are eligible. Reservations booked through a source other than American Airlines must include at least one flight with an American Airlines flight number in order to be eligible (includes codeshare flights operated by British Airways or Iberia but booked as an American Airlines flight number.)
See post 338 for useful information.

updated 4 Sep 2016 by JDiver

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sts603
Am I right to assume that to get a true W fare, I have to search for refundable tickets?
Pretty much. You need a full fare Premium Economy ticket - you may well find that a discount business class is cheaper ( of course with restrictions )
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Two comments:

- AA W (Y+) fares can have a BA equivalent (fare class when switched from AA flight # to BA Prime#) of T, E or W, and they can only be upgraded when their BA equivalent is W. So, you may have had a W-equivalent one way and not for the return.

- BA do not seem to allow Avios upgrades at the airport, so do not rely on being able to persuade them to let you upgrade at the airport - or if you do, be ready to pay the going AUP price in cash.
I have been checking the AA website for U availability and called back when it showed up for my return leg. Calling the AA reservation line, they again let me upgrade without any problem. Now, outbound and inbound for 12,500 each way. I started with an AA flight # and ended up with BA flight # for those two legs. It isn't clear from my original booking if it was full fare or not, it just says booking code W.

I assume I still earn EQM based on the 1.5x miles flown rate from my original paid ticket with AA flight number, even though I am now flying with BA flight # on a BA operated flight on the upgraded ticket?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by fell
I assume I still earn EQM based on the 1.5x miles flown rate from my original paid ticket with AA flight number, even though I am now flying with BA flight # on a BA operated flight on the upgraded ticket?
Yes, probably, because even a Business fare on a BA# earns at 1.5 EQM.

In my experience, with Avios upgrades on BA flights from WT+ to J, I have earned American EQMs and EQDs as a J (fare class I) passenger.

I think it will be interesting to see how your flights post (distance or fare, and if fare, which fare).
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I think it will be interesting to see how your flights post (distance or fare, and if fare, which fare).
I will come back and update. I'm curious as well, since I originally had 4 segments with AA numbers, operated by BA, now two of those segments have BA numbers. It looks like I'd come out much better (more than double the award miles) if they end up using the AA award chart based on my original fare, but I still don't have a complete grasp on how earnings are posted, even when I do know what fare and class they will be awarded at.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by fell
I will come back and update. I'm curious as well, since I originally had 4 segments with AA numbers, operated by BA, now two of those segments have BA numbers. It looks like I'd come out much better (more than double the award miles) if they end up using the AA award chart based on my original fare, but I still don't have a complete grasp on how earnings are posted, even when I do know what fare and class they will be awarded at.
You will accrue mileage based on the flight number on which you are booked at the time of travel. If you have upgraded on BA , then you will be booked on the BA flight number and should credit as per the BA earning table for W class
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Pretty much. You need a full fare Premium Economy ticket - you may well find that a discount business class is cheaper ( of course with restrictions )
I just tried to upgrade in a similar circumstance. I have the following booked:

MIA-LHR-HEL-MIA all with AA flight numbers with the first segment on BA the last two on AY.

I called in to see if the upgrade was available on the MIA-LHR segment and was told that it was and it'd be the 12,500 mile charge. They put me on hold then about 10 minutes later was told my fare didn't qualify. They mentioned the W fare, but it needed to be the unrestricted W. My answer to that (clearly the price I suppose is a giveaway) was how can one know that one has the right W fare?

So how does one tell just by looking at the fare classes on the ticket to know what's what?

Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by petteriusa
I just tried to upgrade in a similar circumstance. I have the following booked:

MIA-LHR-HEL-MIA all with AA flight numbers with the first segment on BA the last two on AY.

I called in to see if the upgrade was available on the MIA-LHR segment and was told that it was and it'd be the 12,500 mile charge. They put me on hold then about 10 minutes later was told my fare didn't qualify. They mentioned the W fare, but it needed to be the unrestricted W. My answer to that (clearly the price I suppose is a giveaway) was how can one know that one has the right W fare?

So how does one tell just by looking at the fare classes on the ticket to know what's what?

Thanks!

It has to be BA flight with a BA flight number booked in W class - these will be full fare W class

All bar full fare AA codeshares rebook into a lower booking class when rebooked on BA

Price is also a clue - the W fare MIA-HEL r/t is > $5000 plus taxes and charges
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
I thought could use SWU either if AA metal and AA flight # OR if BA metal and BA flight #. Is latter incorrect?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by anandrag
I thought could use SWU either if AA metal and AA flight # OR if BA metal and BA flight #. Is latter incorrect?
The latter is incorrect
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The latter is incorrect
OK. So no SWU upgrades on BA metal ever either with BA or AA flight #?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by anandrag
OK. So no SWU upgrades on BA metal ever either with BA or AA flight #?
Correct. SWUs can be used on AA only
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EX PLAT
BA on AA Itinerary - Miles Upg availability, how likely???

Greetings all,

Travelling next week on an AA itinerary. My outbound is MIA-LHR on BA metal. Would like to upgrade from Prem-eco to Biz. Seems like its 12,500 AADV miles to do it. (not bad right?) Question is, how likely is inventory to open up? I travel next week and have been checking expert flyer regularly, so far nada. There are about 6 sellable seats open right now according to AA res. Curious what others experiences are.....

Thanks in advance
M
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by airmarc
Greetings all,

Travelling next week on an AA itinerary. My outbound is MIA-LHR on BA metal. Would like to upgrade from Prem-eco to Biz. Seems like its 12,500 AADV miles to do it. (not bad right?) Question is, how likely is inventory to open up? I travel next week and have been checking expert flyer regularly, so far nada. There are about 6 sellable seats open right now according to AA res. Curious what others experiences are.....

Thanks in advance
M
Your bigger obstacle is likely that you may not be booked in the right Premium Economy fare class. You need to be in "W" -- but BA's W, not AA's W -- and even if AA says it's W, it might be lower than W on BA. Search around here for more.
Marsh11 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL DM, SPG Gold, Emerald Club Exec Elite, Hertz Gold
I'm in the same boat. Booked in AA (and BA) W, have had EF alerts set for WEEKS, CK agents say that there is PLENTY of room on the flight in business, but they simply are not releasing U space. On the plus side, W on BA is better than Y, so there's that!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by nickbodkins
I'm in the same boat. Booked in AA (and BA) W, have had EF alerts set for WEEKS, CK agents say that there is PLENTY of room on the flight in business, but they simply are not releasing U space. On the plus side, W on BA is better than Y, so there's that!
Are you booked in W class on the BA flight number? you do need a full fare W class fare on BA to upgrade - you may well find it cheaper to book a discounted business class ticket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.