Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAdvantage Miles Upgrade Awards and options on other carriers
Only allowed on specific British Airways (BA) and Iberia (IB)fares

AADVANTAGE PARTICIPATING AIRLINES UPGRADE AWARDS (See: Mileage upgrades on British Airways and Iberia)

AAdvantage members may use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights*. Miles may be used to upgrade yourself or anyone you designate. And now, you can upgrade tickets booked by American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com) as well as bookings made through a travel agency or other source.

Each one-way upgrade is valid up to three segments from an individual published full fare ticket per the chart below. Definitions of the eligible fare types are as follows:
  • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y (excluding Military or Government fares) on American
  • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y or B on British Airways or Iberia
  • Premium Economy with published World Traveller Plus fares booked in W (unrestricted fares only) on British Airways. Doesn’t apply to Excursion fares.
  • Full-Fare Club World Business with published fares booked in J, D or R on American and C, J, D or R on British Airways or Iberia
  • British Airways flight must be coded BAxxx on the ticket (AA codeshare flights are not eligible for upgrades and must be converted / booked as BA prime flights)
  • British Airways must operate the LONGEST SEGMENT on the itinerary to be eligible for an upgrade
**Upgrades on British Airways from Economy Class (World Traveller) are valid to Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus) where a Premium Economy Cabin exists, and from Premium Economy to Business (Club World).

Upgrade requests can be made when you make your initial reservation or after you have purchased your ticket, but must be made prior to checking in for your flight.

To request an upgrade award contact Reservations or visit an American Airlines Travel Center.Service charges may apply. If you have already purchased a ticket and you wish to use a mileage upgrade award, please have your reservation details available for our reservation agent.

*Includes travel on codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers.

Link to aa.com page with award chart, language, etc. (IMPORTANT TO READ IN ITS ENTIRETY)

As Microwave points out, AA must have some involvement with the ticket:

American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia flights or codeshare flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, British Airways or Iberia are eligible. Reservations booked through a source other than American Airlines must include at least one flight with an American Airlines flight number in order to be eligible (includes codeshare flights operated by British Airways or Iberia but booked as an American Airlines flight number.)
See post 338 for useful information.

updated 4 Sep 2016 by JDiver

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Chrissimp
Hi All,

Sorry if if this is a tiresome post.

I can’t seem to find anywhere the rules for upgrading BA flights using AA miles. I have looked on both sites.
I am told you can use them but cannot waitlist?
I am unsure if they must be booked using an AA flight number or the fight be booked on AA or by AA?
Do existing BA flights still qualify?

Just wanted to understand it completely before making a fool of myself on the phone.

Also anyone know if you can upgrade on CX in the same way?
Take a look at the master thread...No upgrades of any kind with AA miles on CX.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post29328367
Chrissimp likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro 3mm, IHG Spire,
Many thanks ����
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
The rules are fairly poorly written at this page on the AA website

But BA does not do waitlisting for upgrades; you need the highest fares (Y, W, J, D and R) and in general it is always possible to buy the cabin you want for less than the upgrade.

From what I have been able to work out you can have either an AA or a BA flight number, but you end up with the BA flight number.

The one critical bit to understand is that while all BA W fares are upgradeable from WT+ to J, only the highest AA W fares will be upgradeable (they need to be equivalent to a BA W fare).
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro 3mm, IHG Spire,
Many thanks xx
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
The rules are fairly poorly written at this page on the AA website

But BA does not do waitlisting for upgrades; you need the highest fares (Y, W, J, D and R) and in general it is always possible to buy the cabin you want for less than the upgrade.

From what I have been able to work out you can have either an AA or a BA flight number, but you end up with the BA flight number.

The one critical bit to understand is that while all BA W fares are upgradeable from WT+ to J, only the highest AA W fares will be upgradeable (they need to be equivalent to a BA W fare).
Does this mean booking a WT+ fare BA flight number on AA Metal can be upgrade to J with BA miles?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by kar don
Does this mean booking a WT+ fare BA flight number on AA Metal can be upgrade to J with BA miles?
If you're using Avios to upgrade an AA flight then you need J,C,D,W or Y fare classes and the flight must be booked as a prime flight number (not a codeshare). And the flight must be booked on ba.com or direct with BA in your home BAEC country (i.e. not through another airline or Travel Agent).

See https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...?sl=upgrade_ba
kar don likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Question.
I will be traveling BA on Paid J PHL - LHR
Thinking about upgrading to F with miles (Believe it's 35K) for better flight, and access to CCR on my 5 hour layover in LHR (Onward BA to HYD - with no F)
There is a non-zero chance I would have to cancel the flight between now and then, and I don't know what the rules are for refunding the miles in that instance as EXP.

Looking for any knowledge on what the implications are for those miles if i cancel that flight altogether.
Any other feedback on if 5 hours of CCR & upgrade are worth it is welcome too

Thanks, and Mod's if this isn't right forum, obviously feel free to move.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K
I'm looking at flying DEN-LHR outbound on an AA codeshare ticket (but on BA metal) on a J fare and would like to upgrade from CW to F. I've done this before by calling in and paying the fare difference out of pocket (between J and A, which hasn't been a lot), but if I can use points to upgrade that would be great (because 35k points seems like a small price to pay for the CW/F difference on a 9 hour flight). In the past when I've just paid the fare difference I've ended up booked in A...will my fare class change to A (or some other bucket) from J if I upgrade with points, or will it stay in J?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you use miles to upgrade it will book into award 1st class inventory, which on BA, is Z c;...

70,000 miles r/t to upgrade to BA's 1st class, seems a lot of points

You would also be rebooked onto the BA flight number and so will earn miles based on distance flown, raher than amount spent, which could impact mileage earning quite a bit on a J fare basis

Looking on ITA, the J1N0C0S1 seems to be around $16,700 , with the 1st class farw ANN7C0S3 , being cheaper at around $11,600

Are you definitely buying a J fare ? the AA miles earning on fare would be 75,000 , vs 14,011 by miles on BA - so apart from 70k miles spent, around 60k miles would be lost in earnings

You could get a business class r/t award ticket for less than the number of miles lost from upgrading

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 27, 2018 at 12:00 pm
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you use miles to upgrade it will book into award 1st class inventory, which on BA, is Z c;...

70,000 miles r/t to upgrade to BA's 1st class, seems a lot of points

You would also be rebooked onto the BA flight number and so will earn miles based on distance flown, raher than amount spent, which could impact mileage earning quite a bit on a J fare basis

Looking on ITA, the J1N0C0S1 seems to be around $16,700 , with the 1st class farw ANN7C0S3 , being cheaper at around $11,600

Are you definitely buying a J fare ? the AA miles earning on fare would be 75,000 , vs 14,011 by miles on BA - so apart from 70k miles spent, around 60k miles would be lost in earnings

You could get a business class r/t award ticket for less than the number of miles lost from upgrading
Gotcha, well that's kind of a bummer, definitely at best a questionable tradeoff if I'd be rebooked onto a BA ticket (I'd only do that the outbound leg and fly back on AA to JFK). Yeah it'll be a J fare, maybe it's worth checking what the F fare price difference is (if AA even markets it, when I've paid "up" to first in the past it's actually gone to an A fare instead of F), I'm past 100k EQMs at this point so the EQM discount from a BA ticket number wouldn't be as painful as not getting anything near full EQD credit. I really dislike the idea of being in a CW seat for 9 hours, but there are definitely worse things in life.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:41 pm

You are definitely buying J fares and not some other business fare?

Based on what I can see, if you are buying a J ticket and then upgrading to A , you should be getting a refund of a few thousand dollars, not paying more

Looking at the D fare, it looks like it would be about $1300 to upgrade - I would say that this is less than the value of miles

On a $9914 ticket, you would earn 75,000 AA miles on AA
split AA/BA , you would earn around 11919 outbound and 52932 inbound for a total of 64,851 miles

45,000 miles to upgrade from DEN-LHR seems not that great a deal

If you are buying a J ticket and not a discounted business ticket, then mileage earning should reach the 75,000 cap regardless

There will also be a $200 additional payment to make, since the carrier surcharge for 1st class is an extra $200 oneway
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:57 pm

You are definitely buying J fares and not some other business fare?

Based on what I can see, if you are buying a J ticket and then upgrading to A , you should be getting a refund of a few thousand dollars, not paying more

Looking at the D fare, it looks like it would be about $1300 to upgrade - I would say that this is less than the value of miles

On a $9914 ticket, you would earn 75,000 AA miles on AA
split AA/BA , you would earn around 11919 outbound and 52932 inbound for a total of 64,851 miles

45,000 miles to upgrade from DEN-LHR seems not that great a deal

If you are buying a J ticket and not a discounted business ticket, then mileage earning should reach the 75,000 cap regardless

There will also be a $200 additional payment to make, since the carrier surcharge for 1st class is an extra $200 oneway
Yep it's J, work travel policy is to book unrestricted fares, but (unfortunately) if there's a refund it doesn't go to me. As you said, I'll max out the EQMs on the return leg anyway, but J tickets to LHR are stupidly expensive so it'd be nice to get EQD credit for that bill. Agree that it doesn't seem like a great deal.

Last edited by wjbesh; Nov 27, 2018 at 5:11 pm
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by wjbesh
Yep it's J, work travel policy is to book unrestricted fares, but (unfortunately) if there's a refund it doesn't go to me. As you said, I'll max out the EQMs on the return leg anyway, but J tickets to LHR are stupidly expensive so it'd be nice to get EQM credit for that bill. Agree that it doesn't seem like a great deal.
EQMs are not impacted after January - it is award mile and EQDss that will vary

I would suggest just using cash and taking the refund
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:10 pm

EQMs are not impacted after January - it is award mile and EQDss that will vary

I would suggest just using cash and taking the refund
Sorry, typo on my part, meant I wanted to get credit for the EQDs. Agreed, I'll call in and see what I need to pay on the BA leg and save my miles.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:18 am

Hey,

I’m trying to figure out upgrades for AA/BA and I’m so confused. I’ve been reading the thread but am still stuck.

I have a third party (Concur/Amex Travel) unrestricted business class (R/C/D fare) ticket on American stock. It’s got an AA flight number outbound and a BA flight number inbound. All flights are BA-operated. There’s biz to first upgrade space on both segments. Whose miles do I use to upgrade? Is it all AA because it’s AA stock? I’d prefer Avios because upgrades are cheaper (I think so anyway)

Can anyone help? I’ve been tweeting the airlines but I’m not sure I’m getting the right answers.

Thank you

Last edited by mabramovich; Dec 21, 2018 at 7:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.