FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:10 pm
SpammersAreScum

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Joe1690
So in the past I have been able to upgrade AA ticketed but British Airways operated flights from economy (world traveler) to premium economy (World Traveler plus) at the British Airways Galleries Lounge for a flat amount. I was thinking of trying this again on my next flight since I do prefer Premium Economy to Economy on British Airways. However, I was curious under the new mileage scheme would I earn miles based on the original fare class or the upgraded fare class?
You're saying you buy a "PE" ticket from AA which will get you a BA-operated flight. Are you buying the flight as AA-marketed or BA-marketed? That will make a potentially big difference.

If you buy AA-marketed. you will earn according to the AA tables, which includes earning EQD on the relevant portion of what you paid AA, and the fare class you purchased from them. The fact that you went to BA and upgraded with Avios would be invisible and irrelevant to them.

If you buy BA-marketed, it would depend on what BA reports to them, which I believe would be the original fare class, as argued below:

Originally Posted by Joe1690
I know in the past when purchasing with British Airways directly it was the upgraded fare class and if I recall correctly on AA purchased tickets operated by BA it was also the upgraded fare class. Also, would I earn EQD's on the upgrade amount as well?

I appreciate the insight.

JC
Your claim seems to be that if you buy BA-marketed from BA and then upgrade with Avios, you then earn Avios (and TP) for the upgraded class. That sounds a bit odd, and is contradicted by the FT master thread: "Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios":

If you upgrade your ticket using Avios (UuA / MFU) then you get the Tier Points and Avios of the purchased ticket, so if you upgrade a World Traveller Plus ticket to Club World, you get the World Traveller Plus Tier Points and Avios.