Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 767-300 / 763 Full Flat Thompson Vantage Business Seat, Best, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
763 / 767 CIP New (2014) Thompson Vantage Business Seat
See post #1 for video demo

AA has carried out a Cabin Improvement Program for all of its 24 remaining 767-323ERs (the non-refitted aircraft have been retired from service. See seat map in post #35. (Rows 2-8, 28 seats J; MCE Rows 12 and 13 in the mini-cabin), and 20 and 21 are still exit rows. The new Business seat is the Thompson Vantage solo seat.

NOTE: Discussion, speculation, routing discussion etc. are in: Renovated 767-300 / 763 "CIP" with New Business Class Apr 2014 (Discussion)

Business cabin seat map:
Code:
 A    D G    J
 2 |0_| |0_0_| |_0| 2
 3 |_0| |_0_0| |0_| 3
 4 |0_| |0_0_| |_0| 4
 5 |_0| |_0_0| |0_| 5
 6 |0_| |0_0_| |_0| 6
 7 |_0| |_0_0| |0_| 7
 8 |0_| |0_0_| |_0| 8
 A    D G    J

Legend: 0 = seat; _ = table
Blocked seats: On longer flights, it appears 8A is blocked for the pilot on rest break

Foot boxes vary, as consoles do. Window seats are best (even numbered rows) and those farther from aisles or center seats (even row G seats) for more spacious foot room.

Link to SeatGuru AA 767-300 v2 seat chart.

Program details:

• 24 (of the fleet of AAs 58 763 / 767-323ERs have been retained and upgraded with a Cabin Improvement Program through the end of 2015 [9 Dec. 14 AA statement on social media: fourteen refurbished 767-300's with lie flat seats are already in service, with a further 12 scheduled in 2015] - 28 new horizontal lie-flat Thompson Vantage solo business seats, 14 MCE seats (row 11 gets removed as the business cabin is enlarged), and 163 coach / economy (including 14 exit row) seats. Other upgrades include international satellite Wi-Fi (that apparently has been scrapped), 110V AC power outlets in the business cabin (MCE and coach will retain 15V DC cigarette-lighter style power), new overhead monitors and audio systems, and a refurbishment of lavatories and main cabin seats. No personal in-seat video system is being installed - the premium cabin will retain the Samsung Galaxy tablets (docked to seatbacks) on international flights, and the main cabin, as well as the premium cabin on domestic flights, will stay with shared overhead screens.

• These aircraft are being refurbished for just one reason: the AA/BA/IB/AY transatlantic joint business agreement requires that AA have lie-flat seats for transatlantic routes.

• Link to FT thread announcing the (Cabin Improvement Program (CIP) refitted Boeing 767-323ER with further details on conversion state, etc.

• Link to post with artist's rendition of new J cabin. Link to post with new seat maps as they appear in AA.com

• Link to airchive article including pictures, and Link to mycrewlife blog post with more renderings showing the business cabin.

• Link to FT Trip Report with images

• Link to AA's widebody CIP announcement. For 777 upgrades, see thread 777-200ER / 772 No First; New Business Announced 2014 (767 stuff moved).

(The 777-223ERs have their own CIP, the first article trialed the first half of 2014; the 772 CIP is eliminating First and go to fully flat Business similar to the 77W / 777323ER.)

Print Wikipost

AA 767-300 / 763 Full Flat Thompson Vantage Business Seat, Best, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JHIN
Ahhhhh I was going to ask how you made the video. Im still against google glass cuz I dont want to be on camera constantly!
It was the first Google Glass video I watched; someone else, presumably the poster, made it.

I don't have Glass, just jealousy!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
If I'm not mistaken these are the same seats Delta uses? I was at a trade show and tried out Delta's - hated it! As OP said narrow very much so! But its better than coach ^
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
As far as shoulder room/width, information is all over the place:
The manufacturer claims "Shoulder room measures an impressive 23” "
Source: http://www.contour.aero/businessclass/vantage
While seatguru lists width for the same seats as (all 767s):
Delta 21"
Austrian 19"
JAL 25.5"
Width of he NGBC seat is listed as 18.5"
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:37 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
A version of this seat is used by a number of airlines over the Atlantic on some of their planes, including DL, LX, AB, OS/VO, SN, and AY, so it's competitive for the market.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 29, 2015 at 10:43 am
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dw
A version of this seat is used by a number of airlines over the Atlantic on some of their planes, including DL, LX, AB, OS/VO, SN, and AY, so it's competitive for the market.
100%.

And, only the 767 version of this seat provides 100% aisle access-- which reasonable, intelligent, non-agenda'd people realize is a pretty great feature.

And, as we've discussed, only a single other all-aisle access J-seat available in the market that will for 767-- and that one has it's own faults. There's a reason tho seat is used by so many.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by JonNYC
And, only the 767 version of this seat provides 100% aisle access-- which reasonable, intelligent, non-agenda'd people realize is a pretty great feature.

And, as we've discussed, only a single other all-aisle access J-seat available in the market that will for 767-- and that one has it's own faults. There's a reason tho seat is used by so many.
Indeed. I do not know how this seat is anything but a step up from the ski-slopes... which were some of the worst ski-slopes on the market as well. The seat width cannot be any worse than BA club world, and that product was considered a best in class seat not too long ago. Not to mention that these seats are all aisle access, do not have anybody climbing over you, and provide a significant amount more personal space.

I for one am glad AA was forced into this upgrade, and look forward to flying these seats TATL.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC
100%.

Yep.

I'd take this any day over the pmCO seats that also fit 767s. While both may be too short for me (unsure about AA's seat), at least it has direct aisle access. I'm surprised by how many people are disappointed with the new 767 and 772 business seats. Jon, thanks for all of the great info on these threads.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by airb330
Yep.

I'd take this any day over the pmCO seats that also fit 767s. While both may be too short for me (unsure about AA's seat), at least it has direct aisle access. I'm surprised by how many people are disappointed with the new 767 and 772 business seats. Jon, thanks for all of the great info on these threads.
Always a pleasure. I guess I can understand where some people have in mind something bigger/better/more luxe, but as we've discussed extensively, for 763, lie-flat, 100% aisle-access--it was never gonna be any seat other than this. The seat manufacturers are -not- spending any resources on 767 seating and this is as good as a 763 seat needs to be (and, can "afford" to be.)
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:01 am
Suspended

Well looks similar to some seats I have found quite acceptable. Does anyone know length. I am so disappointed 772's appear shorter and some face backwards making it virtually off limits for me.

Also intrigued London Chicago does not appear to be getting the new cabin (at least not by March 2015). Maybe it is head of the line for 787 or something.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:13 am
Suspended

I wonder how the new aircraft will be allocated and whether irreg ops and techs will derail it. The flights to Zurich seems to have new cabin very soon but Chicago London and Dallas Honolulu are still showing old cabin a year ahead. Swapping from on to another will be problematic.

Interested in economics, there are less business seat, less MCE seats yet AA have not tried to get another seat column into Main Cabin as they are on 777's. Surprising. I guess these must be planned for very low demand routes and 787's or cascaded 772's planned for the other 763 routes.

Last edited by flyertalker54234; Apr 8, 2014 at 7:19 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by rjlon
I wonder how the new aircraft will be allocated and whether irreg ops and techs will derail it. The flights to Zurich seems to have new cabin very soon but Chicago London and Dallas Honolulu are still showing old cabin a year ahead. Swapping from on to another will be problematic.

Interested in economics, there are less business seat, less MCE seats yet AA have not tried to get another seat column into Main Cabin as they are on 777's. Surprising. I guess these must be planned for very low demand routes and 787's or cascaded 772's planned for the other 763 routes.
I wouldn't expect DFW-HNL to get the new one. The half that will be retrofitted will go to Europe first (all US-EU flights have to be horizontal lie-flat in 2015) and probably deep South America.

Presumably ,once they start adding 787s, we can expect them to replace the refurbished 767s on the routes they run. The refurbished 767s will then replace the "old" 767s, which will then leave the fleet.

I do hope you're kidding about adding an 8'th seat to each row. The 767 already has incredibly narrow seats. Very few airlines had 8 abreast 767s (and the ones that did were mostly UK charter airlines.)

Once the refurb is completed, you'll have 2 subfleets. I imagine they will try to keep them separate. As for during the refit, IRROPS might screw things up,but seat roulette is normal during refits, we're used to it.

I also think it'll be less likely that that an unrefurbished 767 will be replaced by a refurbished one than the other way around, so that fact that there are less seats won't be an issue. But even then, it's only 7 MCE seats and 1 J seat less.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:20 pm

There's a trip report in the TR forum if anyone's interested....
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FAA1996
There's a trip report in the TR forum if anyone's interested....
Would appreciate link to it or at least title. Tried to find it and all I got was a flight on a 767 "200" to ZRH in 99 where the guy never mentions the flight. Guess I am not good at navigating this place. Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by rjlon
Would appreciate link to it or at least title. Tried to find it and all I got was a flight on a 767 "200" to ZRH in 99 where the guy never mentions the flight. Guess I am not good at navigating this place. Thanks.
Here you go http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...0-zrh-jfk.html
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FAA1996
Much appreciated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.