Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 767-300 / 763 Full Flat Thompson Vantage Business Seat, Best, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
763 / 767 CIP New (2014) Thompson Vantage Business Seat
See post #1 for video demo

AA has carried out a Cabin Improvement Program for all of its 24 remaining 767-323ERs (the non-refitted aircraft have been retired from service. See seat map in post #35. (Rows 2-8, 28 seats J; MCE Rows 12 and 13 in the mini-cabin), and 20 and 21 are still exit rows. The new Business seat is the Thompson Vantage solo seat.

NOTE: Discussion, speculation, routing discussion etc. are in: Renovated 767-300 / 763 "CIP" with New Business Class Apr 2014 (Discussion)

Business cabin seat map:
Code:
 A    D G    J
 2 |0_| |0_0_| |_0| 2
 3 |_0| |_0_0| |0_| 3
 4 |0_| |0_0_| |_0| 4
 5 |_0| |_0_0| |0_| 5
 6 |0_| |0_0_| |_0| 6
 7 |_0| |_0_0| |0_| 7
 8 |0_| |0_0_| |_0| 8
 A    D G    J

Legend: 0 = seat; _ = table
Blocked seats: On longer flights, it appears 8A is blocked for the pilot on rest break

Foot boxes vary, as consoles do. Window seats are best (even numbered rows) and those farther from aisles or center seats (even row G seats) for more spacious foot room.

Link to SeatGuru AA 767-300 v2 seat chart.

Program details:

• 24 (of the fleet of AAs 58 763 / 767-323ERs have been retained and upgraded with a Cabin Improvement Program through the end of 2015 [9 Dec. 14 AA statement on social media: fourteen refurbished 767-300's with lie flat seats are already in service, with a further 12 scheduled in 2015] - 28 new horizontal lie-flat Thompson Vantage solo business seats, 14 MCE seats (row 11 gets removed as the business cabin is enlarged), and 163 coach / economy (including 14 exit row) seats. Other upgrades include international satellite Wi-Fi (that apparently has been scrapped), 110V AC power outlets in the business cabin (MCE and coach will retain 15V DC cigarette-lighter style power), new overhead monitors and audio systems, and a refurbishment of lavatories and main cabin seats. No personal in-seat video system is being installed - the premium cabin will retain the Samsung Galaxy tablets (docked to seatbacks) on international flights, and the main cabin, as well as the premium cabin on domestic flights, will stay with shared overhead screens.

• These aircraft are being refurbished for just one reason: the AA/BA/IB/AY transatlantic joint business agreement requires that AA have lie-flat seats for transatlantic routes.

• Link to FT thread announcing the (Cabin Improvement Program (CIP) refitted Boeing 767-323ER with further details on conversion state, etc.

• Link to post with artist's rendition of new J cabin. Link to post with new seat maps as they appear in AA.com

• Link to airchive article including pictures, and Link to mycrewlife blog post with more renderings showing the business cabin.

• Link to FT Trip Report with images

• Link to AA's widebody CIP announcement. For 777 upgrades, see thread 777-200ER / 772 No First; New Business Announced 2014 (767 stuff moved).

(The 777-223ERs have their own CIP, the first article trialed the first half of 2014; the 772 CIP is eliminating First and go to fully flat Business similar to the 77W / 777323ER.)

Print Wikipost

AA 767-300 / 763 Full Flat Thompson Vantage Business Seat, Best, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bmchris
I was thinking they would stream from an onboard server.
Which is what they have now on a lot of flights. Still, its way easier to use IFE when eating than trying to wedge a tablet into the seatback pocket or whatever.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:36 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by carlosdca
My guess is that the new seats on the 763 will be identical to the ones on the 77W. Hopefully the wiring problem is not an issue and they will have built-in IFE (no more cumbersome wires and nowhere to lay the tablet while eating)
Earlier reports were that the 763s were getting a completely different new J seat... and perhaps the 772s as well. (Not sure why the 772s wouldn't just get what is on the 77Ws....)
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I'm actually surprised to see the refurbished 763s in service as early as May. As I have flights booked as far out as Sept. right now, I'll switch all seat assignments I already made from 11A (best coach seat on these birds IMO) to 12A on all flights just in case I get a plane with the new config so I won't get displaced to somewhere less desirable.
While IFE would have been nice, I can live with the tablet (in J) and if sitting in coach rather prefer the old seats sans IFE - they are just so much more comfortable than than those new 'slimline' seats. I place more value on seat comfort than I do on IFE.

BTW, Here's the new seat maps:

Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
So they're not going to do special crew rest bunks like DL below the cabin to maximize seat sales? Is this even possible on the 763? I sure hope they will be putting seat back IFE on these refurbished planes.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
So they're not going to do special crew rest bunks like DL below the cabin to maximize seat sales? Is this even possible on the 763? I sure hope they will be putting seat back IFE on these refurbished planes.
How often does AA sell out their 763 J cabin? If they don't do it frequently, then the one extra seat is either empty, taken by an SWU user or an op-up. Wondering if the incremental revenue for that 1 seat is less than the cost of adding crew rests.

On the 77W, it makes a lot of sense to have a crew rest as losing 2/8 F seats to pilots is a quarter of the cabin.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:24 pm
dw

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I don't believe Y is getting IFE (not sure about the new J), so it would appear AA is limiting its capex on these birds, which would go toward crewrest vs. using a J seat for pilot rest.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by dw
Earlier reports were that the 763s were getting a completely different new J seat... and perhaps the 772s as well. (Not sure why the 772s wouldn't just get what is on the 77Ws....)
The idea was that since the 77E's wouldn't have F, they would have a slightly superior J seat. A J/F hybrid, if you will.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
There won't be in-seat IFE in any cabin. AA publicly stated that they'll continue to distribute tablets in J. Coach remains unchanged anyway, except for that the first row of MCE is yanked to make more room for business class.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhomburg
There won't be in-seat IFE in any cabin. AA publicly stated that they'll continue to distribute tablets in J. Coach remains unchanged anyway, except for that the first row of MCE is yanked to make more room for business class.
Where? Curious because A319 has built in IFE - seems likely that their LH product would have it as well.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:20 pm

I'm glad the new 763 seatmap is loaded as well--hopefully by the end of February they will have announced the new product with pictures and more details.

I remain doubtful that there will be IFE onboard, or much done to the cabin behind J in general. AA is in a tough spot with these birds--because they did such a half-... job back in 2006-8 with NGBC/763 refresh, the 763s really need to be gutted at this point (a la DL). Unfortunately (or fortunately?) the 763 replacement is just around the corner (Q4 2014 with the 787s) which limits how much AA might be willing to spend on a cabin that will probably (on average) only be here for 4-5 years instead of the usual 7-10. Even taking into account the newer 763s, I doubt AA will be running the 763 fleet as a whole on TATL/deep south routes past 2018-2019. By that point, they will be reconfigured for short/medium haul to Latin America (replacing the older 763s that have been rumored to be transitioned to that configuration now) which will not require in-seat IFE.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Thanks for you responses. Looking forward to this flight in June
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: The red, white, blue and silver one....
767 Refurb-Close to start/Has started?

Folks,

According to some, AA has started to load their new J config for 767s into their reservation systems.

A few 767s have been in Tulsa, with another at Mobile, so, perhaps they are the first? Perhaps not, though.

Just thought some might want to be aware its been loaded into the reservation system (hoping my source is reliable here).
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:40 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
There is rumor it might be this (different materials of course):

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/newsky/ss6/business/seat/

Hopefully we will know soon enough.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MAH4546

These seem to take up more linear space due to their straight forward orientation rather than the slight angled installation of the current 77W J seat.
According to the JL link they are installing 24 (vs. 28) in Business with (only) 135 seats in Y.

Also looking at the following picture, it looks like the business cabin on this 767 goes all the way back to the emergency exits (barely visible exit signs), where as on AA even MCE would be configured in front of those exits.

Old Jan 17, 2014, 8:10 am
dw

Originally Posted by MAH4546

This looks like the seat used not only by JL, but also DL, LX, OS, SN, AB, etc. The seat definitely gets mixed reviews and some (myself included) find it rather narrow and coffin-like when in the lie flat position. That being said, I do not believe there is a better seat model currently being used in 767s that is fully lie flat and allows for all aisle access. (I don't believe the 77W seat could fit 4-across in a 767... I think CX and DL are using a modified version just to get it to fit in their A330s.)

I still wonder what is going to go into the 772s.

Last edited by dw; Jan 17, 2014 at 11:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.