Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 767-300 / 763 Full Flat Thompson Vantage Business Seat, Best, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
763 / 767 CIP New (2014) Thompson Vantage Business Seat
See post #1 for video demo

AA has carried out a Cabin Improvement Program for all of its 24 remaining 767-323ERs (the non-refitted aircraft have been retired from service. See seat map in post #35. (Rows 2-8, 28 seats J; MCE Rows 12 and 13 in the mini-cabin), and 20 and 21 are still exit rows. The new Business seat is the Thompson Vantage solo seat.

NOTE: Discussion, speculation, routing discussion etc. are in: Renovated 767-300 / 763 "CIP" with New Business Class Apr 2014 (Discussion)

Business cabin seat map:
Code:
 A    D G    J
 2 |0_| |0_0_| |_0| 2
 3 |_0| |_0_0| |0_| 3
 4 |0_| |0_0_| |_0| 4
 5 |_0| |_0_0| |0_| 5
 6 |0_| |0_0_| |_0| 6
 7 |_0| |_0_0| |0_| 7
 8 |0_| |0_0_| |_0| 8
 A    D G    J

Legend: 0 = seat; _ = table
Blocked seats: On longer flights, it appears 8A is blocked for the pilot on rest break

Foot boxes vary, as consoles do. Window seats are best (even numbered rows) and those farther from aisles or center seats (even row G seats) for more spacious foot room.

Link to SeatGuru AA 767-300 v2 seat chart.

Program details:

• 24 (of the fleet of AAs 58 763 / 767-323ERs have been retained and upgraded with a Cabin Improvement Program through the end of 2015 [9 Dec. 14 AA statement on social media: fourteen refurbished 767-300's with lie flat seats are already in service, with a further 12 scheduled in 2015] - 28 new horizontal lie-flat Thompson Vantage solo business seats, 14 MCE seats (row 11 gets removed as the business cabin is enlarged), and 163 coach / economy (including 14 exit row) seats. Other upgrades include international satellite Wi-Fi (that apparently has been scrapped), 110V AC power outlets in the business cabin (MCE and coach will retain 15V DC cigarette-lighter style power), new overhead monitors and audio systems, and a refurbishment of lavatories and main cabin seats. No personal in-seat video system is being installed - the premium cabin will retain the Samsung Galaxy tablets (docked to seatbacks) on international flights, and the main cabin, as well as the premium cabin on domestic flights, will stay with shared overhead screens.

• These aircraft are being refurbished for just one reason: the AA/BA/IB/AY transatlantic joint business agreement requires that AA have lie-flat seats for transatlantic routes.

• Link to FT thread announcing the (Cabin Improvement Program (CIP) refitted Boeing 767-323ER with further details on conversion state, etc.

• Link to post with artist's rendition of new J cabin. Link to post with new seat maps as they appear in AA.com

• Link to airchive article including pictures, and Link to mycrewlife blog post with more renderings showing the business cabin.

• Link to FT Trip Report with images

• Link to AA's widebody CIP announcement. For 777 upgrades, see thread 777-200ER / 772 No First; New Business Announced 2014 (767 stuff moved).

(The 777-223ERs have their own CIP, the first article trialed the first half of 2014; the 772 CIP is eliminating First and go to fully flat Business similar to the 77W / 777323ER.)

Print Wikipost

AA 767-300 / 763 Full Flat Thompson Vantage Business Seat, Best, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Another disappointment from the "new" AA - looks quite narrow and confined - Is the old J more comfortable? Despite being angle-flat I feel like the old J at least gives you some wiggle room. Maybe the pictures are deceiving. And no in-seat IFE even in J? Pathetic. I can understand not in Y, but geez.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17
And no in-seat IFE even in J?
Isn't that better? You can take it with you when you walk around the cabin, like an iPad?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:46 am
Suspended

Another disappointment from the "new" AA ...
This theme is getting so, so, so, so, so tiresome.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Another disappointment from the "new" AA - looks quite narrow and confined - Is the old J more comfortable? Despite being angle-flat I feel like the old J at least gives you some wiggle room. Maybe the pictures are deceiving. And no in-seat IFE even in J? Pathetic. I can understand not in Y, but geez.
I'm by no means attempting to discount or belittle your concerns or complaints with AA, but try to see it from this perspective: they got 787s, 77ws, 777s, and soon to be A330s and eventually A350s in the fleet, all of which will have great premium hard product (sorry, no faith in them not to continue to screw up the soft product). With this in mind, they just needed a band aide for the 767s with very few options--->even if they spent a ton of money creating a new seat, there are still only so many options on a plane that simply is not a true widebody (INTERESTING SIDENOTE: though still large enough to have American "Heavy" during communications).

So everyone hear knows I hate Parker and company, but I honestly don't blame him, or anyone else before him that began this process for selecting the seats they did: they simply did not have many options, nor did it make sense to invest in old aircraft that the company had no long term plans for.

Had the 787s been delivered on time, we would not be having this conversation, as they would have even LESS 767s by Jan 1 2015.

Cheers,
AA777
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA777
I'm by no means attempting to discount or belittle your concerns or complaints with AA, but try to see it from this perspective: they got 787s, 77ws, 777s, and soon to be A330s and eventually A350s in the fleet, all of which will have great premium hard product (sorry, no faith in them not to continue to screw up the soft product). With this in mind, they just needed a band aide for the 767s with very few options--->even if they spent a ton of money creating a new seat, there are still only so many options on a plane that simply is not a true widebody (INTERESTING SIDENOTE: though still large enough to have American "Heavy" during communications).

So everyone hear knows I hate Parker and company, but I honestly don't blame him, or anyone else before him that began this process for selecting the seats they did: they simply did not have many options, nor did it make sense to invest in old aircraft that the company had no long term plans for.

Had the 787s been delivered on time, we would not be having this conversation, as they would have even LESS 767s by Jan 1 2015.
Not to mention the fact that these seats were chosen many, many months before the merger-- AND, as discussed previously-- there are precious, precious few lie-flat, all-aide-access options aside from this one for a 763. This seat was always gonna be this one for this aircraft and it won't be around all that long.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Those new seats look awfully narrow, much worse than Delta's.
Same exact seat as Delta with far nicer materials.

Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Looks an awful lot like the new JL 767 business seats.
Same exact seat as JAL, and like JAL, AA went for a more high-end design and fabric.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:58 pm

Will be flying JFK - ZRH tomorrow and will provide some pictures and impressions. Hopefully my Google Glass will help to snap some discrete pictures (or - maybe - it won't help... )
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:49 pm

I came across several more computer-generated images on this website:

http://mycrewlife.tumblr.com/post/78...boeing-767-300
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by BizJet
I came across several more computer-generated images on this website:

http://mycrewlife.tumblr.com/post/78...boeing-767-300
It looks like the tablets doc into the seat shell in front of you which actually would be nice!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
It looks like the tablets doc into the seat shell in front of you which actually would be nice!
Never saw them myself, but I believe that whatever device came with the original NGBC makeover on the 767 was also fitted to slot into the seat back. It must have been quite a bit thicker and bigger than the current tablets, though.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Never saw them myself, but I believe that whatever device came with the original NGBC makeover on the 767 was also fitted to slot into the seat back. It must have been quite a bit thicker and bigger than the current tablets, though.
Yes, there is still a slot for the massive entertainment thing that used to go in, much larger and much thicker.
I for one are very excited about the new seat. One of my pet peeves wit the NGBC seat is the lack of storage or space to put anything. Just got off of one on Monday and it was comical to see me and my unknown seat mate try to function with the limited space: front table down for tablet, small table for dinner, water in the super narrow shelf between seats, would invariable fall over if either of us tried to put our tray tables away. There is no space to put your shoes in unless you want to crush them by turning the seat int a bed. I usually have to get up and put them in the overhead bin. Not to mention no way to keep a briefcase/bag pack close to you for the same reason. Have to keep the pillow and duvet on the floor until you turn it into a "bed". Once in bed mode, no where to keep the bottled water. No where to store your own tablet, their tablet, the headphones if you take them off... If you try to keep any of your items in the table(s) and move the chair it'll all probably fall down as the seat contorts in the funniest ways that always make me feel like my fellow passengers are staring at me as my seat is about to eject or crush me.....
Nope, I for one am VERY excited about the new seat, and hopefully will not be let down too much when I try I out 3 weeks from today....
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:04 am
Suspended

Qantas goes with these seats as well for some of their planes:
http://www.ausbt.com.au/up-close-qan...s-suites-seats

Here's a bit on the QF move:
Yep, those are basically Thompson seats as well, think they have had a
little bit of a QF makeover, presumably still Marc Newson. They should not
get 100% aisle access on an A330,I think it was more
like 90% , its not really 1-2-1 like on a 767.

The A330 alternates between 1-2-1 and 2-2-1, so every 2-2-1 has a window
seat not on the aisle. So unless they have done something really different
its not 100% aisle access (on Swiss it's 5 of 47--89%)

The 767, is pretty much 1-2-1 every row, so it gets 100% aisle access.

When you move to a B777 it becomes 1-2-1 alternating with 2-2-2, the
difference in A330 1-2-1 and B777 1-2-1 being that only one of the "1s" in
1-2-1 has a console on each side of the seat on the A330 whereas both of
the "1s" in the 1-2-1 on the B777 have a console on both sides of the seat,
a throne.

Last edited by JonNYC; Apr 4, 2014 at 4:13 pm
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The old, ngbc vs New whaddawecallit business is interesting. Some prefer the Z position for sleeping, so the old recliner works; side sleepers will prefer ngbc. The new "IBC" (interim business class?) seats seem much more private, will offer aisle access to more passengers, should be operable to everything from Z to flat and will offer PEDs that are more invariably positionable than a fixed screen device.

Not bad IMO for an aircraft more suited these days for, ahem, a military tanker-cargo carrier role.

I wonder which cargo carrier or second line airline will be flying AA's 767-323ERs, or if they'll mostly go to ROW?

I'll get some ngbc time MAD-BCN and FCO-ORD soon enough, and look forward to the IBC or whatever we end up calling it. When I can't be on a 777 with new seats, that is.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Correct. When I originally heard about this, I was told the seat would have a built-in docking station to charge/hold the device and it looks like that is the case.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Correct. When I originally heard about this, I was told the seat would have a built-in docking station to charge/hold the device and it looks like that is the case.
maybe it is more a function of my having to fly international twice monthly recently but this whole no-seat-tv thing isn't a killer for me. i've already seen much of whats onboard these days and have to rely on the trusty old ipad to pass the time.

i'd much rather there be a decent seat WITH proper power ports than another silly tablet taking up the only power source which was the biggest failure of the NGBC imho. though it barely comes on the list before the whole no-shoes-or-anything-at-the-base disaster.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.