Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 767-300 / 763 Full Flat Thompson Vantage Business Seat, Best, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
763 / 767 CIP New (2014) Thompson Vantage Business Seat
See post #1 for video demo

AA has carried out a Cabin Improvement Program for all of its 24 remaining 767-323ERs (the non-refitted aircraft have been retired from service. See seat map in post #35. (Rows 2-8, 28 seats J; MCE Rows 12 and 13 in the mini-cabin), and 20 and 21 are still exit rows. The new Business seat is the Thompson Vantage solo seat.

NOTE: Discussion, speculation, routing discussion etc. are in: Renovated 767-300 / 763 "CIP" with New Business Class Apr 2014 (Discussion)

Business cabin seat map:
Code:
 A    D G    J
 2 |0_| |0_0_| |_0| 2
 3 |_0| |_0_0| |0_| 3
 4 |0_| |0_0_| |_0| 4
 5 |_0| |_0_0| |0_| 5
 6 |0_| |0_0_| |_0| 6
 7 |_0| |_0_0| |0_| 7
 8 |0_| |0_0_| |_0| 8
 A    D G    J

Legend: 0 = seat; _ = table
Blocked seats: On longer flights, it appears 8A is blocked for the pilot on rest break

Foot boxes vary, as consoles do. Window seats are best (even numbered rows) and those farther from aisles or center seats (even row G seats) for more spacious foot room.

Link to SeatGuru AA 767-300 v2 seat chart.

Program details:

• 24 (of the fleet of AAs 58 763 / 767-323ERs have been retained and upgraded with a Cabin Improvement Program through the end of 2015 [9 Dec. 14 AA statement on social media: fourteen refurbished 767-300's with lie flat seats are already in service, with a further 12 scheduled in 2015] - 28 new horizontal lie-flat Thompson Vantage solo business seats, 14 MCE seats (row 11 gets removed as the business cabin is enlarged), and 163 coach / economy (including 14 exit row) seats. Other upgrades include international satellite Wi-Fi (that apparently has been scrapped), 110V AC power outlets in the business cabin (MCE and coach will retain 15V DC cigarette-lighter style power), new overhead monitors and audio systems, and a refurbishment of lavatories and main cabin seats. No personal in-seat video system is being installed - the premium cabin will retain the Samsung Galaxy tablets (docked to seatbacks) on international flights, and the main cabin, as well as the premium cabin on domestic flights, will stay with shared overhead screens.

• These aircraft are being refurbished for just one reason: the AA/BA/IB/AY transatlantic joint business agreement requires that AA have lie-flat seats for transatlantic routes.

• Link to FT thread announcing the (Cabin Improvement Program (CIP) refitted Boeing 767-323ER with further details on conversion state, etc.

• Link to post with artist's rendition of new J cabin. Link to post with new seat maps as they appear in AA.com

• Link to airchive article including pictures, and Link to mycrewlife blog post with more renderings showing the business cabin.

• Link to FT Trip Report with images

• Link to AA's widebody CIP announcement. For 777 upgrades, see thread 777-200ER / 772 No First; New Business Announced 2014 (767 stuff moved).

(The 777-223ERs have their own CIP, the first article trialed the first half of 2014; the 772 CIP is eliminating First and go to fully flat Business similar to the 77W / 777323ER.)

Print Wikipost

AA 767-300 / 763 Full Flat Thompson Vantage Business Seat, Best, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
That someone managed to make a seat so narrow while going from 6 abreast to 4 abreast is mind boggling. The table mechanism made me think that this seat is a cheaper version than the one on Swiss and Brussels Airlines, but I certainly never had these problems with them.
Aren't they really still 6-abreast? Two on each side (total of four) plus two in the middle?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:48 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Aren't they really still 6-abreast? Two on each side (total of four) plus two in the middle?
No, they are 1-2-1, 7 rows.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Currently in 2A on N347AN from JFK to MIA, which doesn't appear to be listed in the wiki.

The seat does feel more narrow than the NGBC on the 757 I had for my outbound flight, and I agree that the lighting controls are counterintuitive. I think I would've preferred physical buttons for the seat controls instead of the touch screen since I accidentally moved my seat a few times until I realized what was causing it. The all-aisle access is a definite treat, though!
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango

The seat does feel more narrow than the NGBC on the 757 I had for my outbound flight.
In the new seat's defense, the NGBC seats on the 767 are also narrower than the ones on the 757.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Djokison
In the new seat's defense, the NGBC seats on the 767 are also narrower than the ones on the 757.
Very good point.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Not sure if this has been noted upthread but Row 7 has only one window. Bulkhead seats 2A/2J have three windows (though some of the space of the third window is taken up by an extension of the bulkhead wall for the footwell - still quite roomy.) Of the two middle bulkhead seats, I'd recommend 2G as the wide tables on both sides give it a slightly more private feel than 2D where on your left you're exposed to aisle traffic. Some galley light does get through the curtain @ 2G. Noise from the galley wasn't really an issue.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:39 am

I flew this JFK-BCN a couple weeks ago and agree the seats felt very narrow and overall I wasn't thrilled. Now I was coming from F on the 32b LAX-JFK so perhaps I was spoiled but I just didn't think this was that great of a product. And the tablets were very clunky to use.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lizs
I flew this JFK-BCN a couple weeks ago and agree the seats felt very narrow and overall I wasn't thrilled. Now I was coming from F on the 32b LAX-JFK so perhaps I was spoiled but I just didn't think this was that great of a product. And the tablets were very clunky to use.
Well, the seats are flat, which is what the Flyertalk crowd has crowed, blathered and pontificated are essential to compete. The seats are identical to Delta's 767 lie-flat seats. Unlike the US Airways 762 seats (and the current AA 763 seats), the new ones go completely flat, parallel to the floor.

Beyond that, they're a stopgap measure. The refurbished 763s will be short-timers across the Atlantic and will likely be replaced as the 787s and refurbished 77Ds come online. They aren't the long-term solution.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Well, the seats are flat, which is what the Flyertalk crowd has crowed, blathered and pontificated are essential to compete. The seats are identical to Delta's 767 lie-flat seats. Unlike the US Airways 762 seats (and the current AA 763 seats), the new ones go completely flat, parallel to the floor.

Beyond that, they're a stopgap measure. The refurbished 763s will be short-timers across the Atlantic and will likely be replaced as the 787s and refurbished 77Ds come online. They aren't the long-term solution.
Part of the problem is that the 767 was orginally designed to be a 2-1-2 aircraft in business class and lacks the space to get 4 abreast like other aircraft can. These new seats (while they appear in practice to be 1-2-1) actually continue to be 2-2-2 in terms of footprint and thus they are very narrow. Honestly the best 767 configuration IMO is Air Canada's using a 1-1-1 layout, and I wish AA would have gone with that. The nice thing is that the days of the 767 are becoming increasingly numbered with 787s coming online.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I flew the new config 763 in business class and have a gripe -- I found the tables pretty unworkable. I'm a pretty tall guy, and I've got a bit of a belly, but nothing absurd. I found that with the seat reclined almost at all, the table was way too far back and hit me very uncomfortably. Also, I found the whole mechanism whereby the table 'popped' up was unreliable (I couldn't work it, my wife couldn't work it, and only one of the attendants seemed to know the maneuver.

The work around I found was to eat off the side table rather than the one in front of me OR put the seat back all the way up (no recline at all). Neither was ideal.

This is in stark contrast to the relatively comfortable 772/77W J seats I've experienced on AA.

Anyone else have this experience/observation?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by jmr50
I flew the new config 763 in business class and have a gripe -- I found the tables pretty unworkable. I'm a pretty tall guy, and I've got a bit of a belly, but nothing absurd. I found that with the seat reclined almost at all, the table was way too far back and hit me very uncomfortably. Also, I found the whole mechanism whereby the table 'popped' up was unreliable (I couldn't work it, my wife couldn't work it, and only one of the attendants seemed to know the maneuver.

The work around I found was to eat off the side table rather than the one in front of me OR put the seat back all the way up (no recline at all). Neither was ideal.

This is in stark contrast to the relatively comfortable 772/77W J seats I've experienced on AA.

Absolutely. I think I wrote exactly the same thing (including the belly) some 300/400 posts ago in this thread. I may have added that the new seat, in my view, is a regression as opposed to the old one.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, HH GLD, MR PLT, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jmr50

I had the same issue with my table. Overall not impressed with the new seats, seemed claustrophobic to me and SO. Agree the 77W J's are much better and hope the 787 J seats are similar.

I think I actually prefer the ski slopes (NGBC) seats to the lie flats, never thought I would say that.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
I think AA forgot to refurbish the lavatories on the 763 we took last night from VCP to JFK. Biz class seating was all new, but the contrast with old and banged up overhead compartments and lavs was a bit of a let down. The seating wasn't as good as J on the 77W or 321T. Narrow and difficult to sleep on your side if you in the staggered seat right on the aisle (unprotected by the table top). We had electrical issues on our plane last evening as the receptacles weren't providing power. First time on the fixed up ones for me, and it's obvious these are merely temporary placeholders for something else long term.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I just did CDG-ORD and found 4J very comfortable and the overall cabin looked nicely done (better than DL's 763 I did ORD-CDG a few days prior which looks very clinical). The lack of built in IFE sucks and is the biggest disappointment of the refurb......the tablet with all of the wires is annoying and looks bad.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:00 am
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Got the new config yesterday, MAD-DFW. One problem, though: there were no power cords (or, wrong type) for the Samsung tablets.

Our FAs were on top of it; got a "we're sorry" email from Customer Relations and a chunk of compensation miles in my account several hours before landing at DFW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.