Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:11 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Airpass is the most profitable product that AA sells. In return you get super-premium, better than F service on the ground. For example at LAX there is a separate Airpass/EXP check-in, much faster than using the F check-in. Almost always you can buy a point-to-point fare that is cheaper than Airpass (but not always), so cost saving is not the reason to buy Airpass -- service is. Only you can decide how much that is worth (based on travel pattern). I have never used Airpass, but I do know that AA really does give it extra special service (perhaps to the point of letting you book oversold flights and they buy someone for the bump).
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:03 pm

Programs: SPG GLD
From what I've been able to find from their (limited) site, AAirpass does seem to be a decent deal in certain circumstances. For instance: since you pay for tickets by miles used and not by actual fare, you can sometimes get into F on shorter distance flights for less than it would cost to buy the applicable YUP fare. After all, regular AAirpass tickets (and not the Miles Saver, or whatever they're called) book as Y fare codes, which can include YUP booking into A.

One example would be a trip from DCA->ORD. This would be a 1224 mile round trip, and would cost $1,398 to book as a YUP. With AAirpass, you'd use 1224 miles and book a YUP fare. Since AAirpass costs ~$0.40 per mile, that works out to $489.60 for the same ticket.

I think that's how it would work, but again, I don't think their site is too straightforward, so I could be wrong.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
used to use my Airpass to buy tickets on a regular basis. But since I have long since settled into a very regular, predictable schedule of flying back and forth between Dallas and L.A., I rarely need to use it to buy a ticket these days. Back when I WAS using it, the difference between AAirpass and full Y on last minute trips was substantial. Now, the difference is much less. AAirpass prices (the per mile charge) has gone up a lot, and the full Y has come down in many cases, it seems.

Service? I see minimal difference. There is a dedicated phone number. Pretty good still, but not as good as before. Previously, it would go direct to a live person 99% of the time. No menu. No pre-recorded "Welcome to AA...." No "say your advantage number". It was great. Still, it's not too bad now. I get the greeting and the "say your aadvantage number thing", then it goes to a person. Rarely any hold time. I've never used the special check in line at LAX. They put it in after the electronic kiosks became widespread. I almost always use those now. For me, the only real perk I get is Admiral's Club access. Not a bad thing, for sure.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:16 am

Programs: TK C+, AA/AS nothing, BA nothing
and you also get free drinks if you're stuck in the back of the bus
Old Jul 16, 2005, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Also there are non-published corporate AAirpass deals - several friends of mine work for a large global investment bank that issues all their frequent flyers AAirpass cards and everything gets charged out of a central account. You can bet this organization ain't paying AA $0.43/flown mile or whatever the published list price is.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:46 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
From my days working at the airport, AAirpass was widely known as a money maker. Obviously, I can't speak for everyone, but an AAirpass user got as much attention from me as they could get. Highly valuable customers to AA.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 5:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
From my days working at the airport, AAirpass was widely known as a money maker. Obviously, I can't speak for everyone, but an AAirpass user got as much attention from me as they could get. Highly valuable customers to AA.
I have had an Airpass for 10 years. I use it most flights as you can change anytime for no penalty. Before recent fare changes, it saved me $1000 round trip DFW-LGA which I fly 30-40 times a year. Now Y Up fares are about the same price as Airpass. Unless you have a large company, you are going to pay the going rate. I use it for F also which deducts 1.5 miles instead of the 1.0 for Y/1.25 for J on international. Airpass also gets free AC membership and auto GLD membership for new members.

I would say it does garner premium service. I recently went to Glasgow and used miles booking a few days ahead. AA.com said no J seats but I called and they put it through.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:42 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UAL_Rulez
Also there are non-published corporate AAirpass deals - several friends of mine work for a large global investment bank that issues all their frequent flyers AAirpass cards and everything gets charged out of a central account. You can bet this organization ain't paying AA $0.43/flown mile or whatever the published list price is.
I may work at this same bank....the internal charge rate is much lower...and there's usually some mark up from the back office to the front office areas.

In terms of service, the rule for AA reps dealing with AAirpass customers is "never send an AAP pax to another AA rep for service." I've only been on AAP a few months now...but the service approach is noticable.

Only thing it doesn't get you is OW Emerald status. (For me, for now, I whip out my BA Gold card...which gets me into Flagship lounges, even when not on paid-F.)

Our company includes AC membership, too.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:43 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
For example at LAX there is a separate Airpass/EXP check-in, much faster than using the F check-in.
Do you recall where exactly this is? I've not seen it (yet!).
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:19 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
It is to the right of the F check-in at LAX (next to the QF area). At ORD it is by the L gates. Couple of other airports also have it but not JFK or LGA (that I've noticed). It is always the shortest line at any airport that has it.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:29 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by number_6
It is to the right of the F check-in at LAX (next to the QF area). At ORD it is by the L gates. Couple of other airports also have it but not JFK or LGA (that I've noticed). It is always the shortest line at any airport that has it.
But it doesn't always move the quickest!

My last LAX experience had me waiting in the EXP/Airpass line for about 5 minutes while the Business line moved briskly. I waited until the Business line was down to 1 and then switched. I was ticketed and gone before the next person was helped at the EXP/Airpass line.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
I've never been turned down asking for an award ticket using regular miles if there was a seat. I do find the service, even as an EXP, to be top notch. I see no downside to Airpass if you pay for premium tickets.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Does anyone know whether companies are every allowed to 'share' their AAirpasses among employees, or is it strictly one AAirpass per pax?
Old Aug 20, 2005, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jakebeth
Does anyone know whether companies are every allowed to 'share' their AAirpasses among employees, or is it strictly one AAirpass per pax?
There is an option that allows you to book a companion, and receive their mileage accrual, in addition to your own. But it would not be accrued into both acconts.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by Island
There is an option that allows you to book a companion, and receive their mileage accrual, in addition to your own. But it would not be accrued into both acconts.
But, the AAirpass gets assigned to a specific person and is otherwise nontransferrable? -

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.