Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2006, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
AAirpass is a program by which you pay $10k for 25k miles of air travel.
Yowzer! That's $2000 give or take for JFK-LAX round-trip! And IIRC, the upgrade priority is pretty low (same as AAdv Gold?), and stickers aren't even included! OTOH, LGA-BOS would only be ~$150 r/t and LGA-ORD <$600, not bad for a flexible fare.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 4:03 pm

Programs: All of them
[QUOTE=FWAAA]AAirpass is a program by which you pay $10k for 25k miles of air travel. Are you serious about spending that kind of dough? If so, check out:[QUOTE]

If my math is right, that's $2.50 a mile when a good sale fare is $0.025/mile. Even a walk-up fare isn't that much, is it?
Old Apr 10, 2006, 4:09 pm

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
Your math isn't right. At the quoted prices it's $.40/mile.

When I had AAirpass, it was .25/mile and some routes were great, some not so great.

So what I did was try and get a regular ticket cheaper, if not I used AAirpass.

I was living in Chicago and it was always great for CHI/NYC.

Amazingly enough, International was better with AAirpass for me. I flew CHI/LON a lot and it worked out to about $1,600 one way in 1st.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RayinMaui
Amazingly enough, International was better with AAirpass for me. I flew CHI/LON a lot and it worked out to about $1,600 one way in 1st.
Out of curiosity -- is it the same mileage cost for First as for coach (i.e., $0.40 per mile today)? The www.aairpass.com website isn't clear, only that it can be booked in F, J or Y, but I can't see whether there is a mileage multiplier or anything (e.g., 1.5x the mileage for F).
Old Apr 10, 2006, 4:37 pm

Programs: All of them
You're right

[QUOTE=RayinMaui]Your math isn't right. At the quoted prices it's $.40/mile.

[QUOTE]

My old math profs would kill me if they knew I switched the numerator and denominator.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
Interesting, I had thought that this was a bad deal, but my partner is about to move to DC, so it works out to be $160 for a walk-up one-way fare. Same price as my employer discount on USAir. (BOS>LGA would be $75 each way), and she won't get the discount.

Is this a cheap way to qualify for EXP (throughs segments)? You travel 50 r/t from STX to STT, with a companion. Then do it again, with another companion. You would be just 2000 AAirpass miles short of doing it again with a final companion, pick those miles up for $800 more, and you've got four EXPs for $10800 total.

Curiously, the mileage deducted is based on distance from origin to destination--so if you fly LGW>LHR via RDU, it would be less than 60 miles...I imagine they must award frequent flier miles based on the same (origin-destination), or there is an arbitrage opportunity there, for someone with no time value...

I recall people saying that there are fuel surcharges/other taxes/fees that make the program less attractive....
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I've tried to make the math work several times. For me, It is totally absurd, as my 2005 AA CPM was 11 or 12 cents. Not a SINGLE flight I took last year would be cheaper with AAirpass.

I can't figure it out at today's prices, except for when you are leaching off some government or very large bureaucracy, and no one looks closely at what you expense.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Out of curiosity -- is it the same mileage cost for First as for coach (i.e., $0.40 per mile today)? The www.aairpass.com website isn't clear, only that it can be booked in F, J or Y, but I can't see whether there is a mileage multiplier or anything (e.g., 1.5x the mileage for F).
There are indeed mileage multipliers for J and F, and the multipliers vary depending on the destination (cheaper to S America than Europe, for example).
Old May 28, 2006, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
AAirpass Info Required - International

I could use some information for international travel on AAirpass, if there is someone using AAirpass they could PM me vs. carry it on here as there is little use of same, I think among regulars.

I am looking how to figure out the pricing - I have their presentation but the varying % formula for J/Y and also the non-use of connecting cities for the miles is a bit confusing. The non-use of connections is a means of lessing paid for miles, not a huge difference to where I go anyway.

I regularly fly paid Y upgraded or paid J not upgraded (well that's obvious) from Toronto to Central and South America and I am not sure it is the same price (or worse, more) in which case it is a prepaid card with a free AC membership, or it is a bit of a deal with lower than full fare pricing.
Old May 28, 2006, 7:47 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I don't have AAirpass but have looked into it. The pricing is always above corporate fares however quite good on some routes (those that don't have much competition and special sales). The thing that makes AAirpass worthwhile is the level of service that you will get from AA. Better than EXP, better than paid-F tickets. It is AA's most profitable product, so don't buy it for price. But I suspect for some SA routes it might even be the cheapest way if you need flexible tickets.

The 2 rules you mention are pretty straight-forward: 1) routing between O/D doesn't affect the price, so flying ORD-MIA-LHR without stopover costs exactly the same as flying ORD-LHR (I think the MPM rules still apply, though, and of course you are limited to AA flights, so you couldn't route ORD-LAX-MIA-DFW-JFK-LHR, for example). 2) the different gross-up in converting miles to dollars reflects the different airfare costs in various parts of the world. SA flights cost less than flights to Europe, for the same distance, for example.

Last edited by number_6; May 28, 2006 at 7:54 pm
Old May 28, 2006, 10:41 pm

Well, I think I will call them on my typical routes and ask as to Y and J fares. If they are 5% cheaper on either I might as well go for $10K, that is only about 1/2 a years travel on AA.
Old May 30, 2006, 2:18 pm

Well domestic is a great deal if you are used to buying in Y and J ( including Caribbean, Mexico), international is more costly for full fare Y and J almost across the board except mybe Asia. So much for that idea.

My MGA flights are 40% more in J than by paying "retail"

They did say if you buy YUP which they encourage since AAirpass is FF Y, if they change equipment unlike the masses you won't ever get stuck with a Y seat, you'll get J.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 2:47 pm

No more premium class AAirpass bookings!

"Effective July 1, 2006, P-class inventory will no longer be eligible for AAirpass® bookings. This change will help simplify AAirpass bookings without impacting the availability of eligible AAirpass fares. If you have any questions please contact your dedicated Customer Service Representative."

This appears to be another way the Aairpass program is being degraded. We thought that after purchasing an Aairpass, the rules (specified in a contractual agreement) could not change. That appears to have been a very naive presumption.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 2:50 pm

Does the contract say that the rules can be unilateraly changed?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 2:56 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by millionmiler
Does the contract say that the rules can be unilateraly changed?
You betcha!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.