Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2022, 1:33 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wutlol
I got a call from AA asking me what they could do to keep my corporate booking business in light of the airpass cancellation.

I told them honestly that I think I’ll just let anyone book the flight of their choice with the carrier of their choice and simply use corporate virtual cards to track receipts. No more corporate accounts with specific airlines.

They seemed shocked but I told them that they took away the one unique feature that AA offered me and that as an ex-EU flyer it was already a tough decision (and ultimately an emotional rather than economic one) for me to justify prioritizing AA and buying Airpass miles each year.

Sadly the lovely employee on the other line seemed to be flummoxed by my reply so I’m not sure I did anything positive for those of us already missing the programme or whom would like to see aspects of it returned in a new venture.
Thanks for standing your ground and being honest with them, even if it ended up being a bit awkward with the flummoxed rep.

It’s been quite a while since I’ve submitted a formal complaint to Customer Relations (I’ve submitted a few compliments throughout the pandemic when employees were simply outstanding). I’ve been considering sending a quick note to them about Airpass, with the hope they may contact me for more detailed feedback.

A couple of times over the years, I submitted concerns about serious issues, and an Executive Liaison responded by phone within 24-48 hours. I believe they typically reach out to CKs and EPs.

I’m an individual account holder, so I likely don’t have any clout in comparison to those of you with entire business teams on a multi-user Airpass, but I think it’s still important for AA to get formal feedback about how disappointed many of us are with the sudden sunsetting of the program.
GoBirds likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 4:44 am

Programs: AA Lifer, and other stuff...
Originally Posted by metallo
Thanks for standing your ground and being honest with them, even if it ended up being a bit awkward with the flummoxed rep.

It’s been quite a while since I’ve submitted a formal complaint to Customer Relations (I’ve submitted a few compliments throughout the pandemic when employees were simply outstanding). I’ve been considering sending a quick note to them about Airpass, with the hope they may contact me for more detailed feedback.

A couple of times over the years, I submitted concerns about serious issues, and an Executive Liaison responded by phone within 24-48 hours. I believe they typically reach out to CKs and EPs.

I’m an individual account holder, so I likely don’t have any clout in comparison to those of you with entire business teams on a multi-user Airpass, but I think it’s still important for AA to get formal feedback about how disappointed many of us are with the sudden sunsetting of the program.
We're planning on calling as well. I'm not optimistic, but my partner is a very good negotiator, and I would hope AA would see the value of negotiating a contract.

It's literally "I want to give you money, cash tickets don't work because we need flexibility, and if you can't offer something we'll have to rework our business plan, so you won't get the money anyway."

I'm in the "whatever McKinsey/BCG/Deloitte consultant came up with this idea hasn't studied construct validity and as a result gave advice that has fancy quantitative metrics which don't say what they think they say" camp of thinking about this choice.

The harder part is I've been diehard loyal to AA for about two decades. Excluding mandatory destinations to which OW doesn't fly (like 2 flights), I've taken exactly 2 flights in that entire time which weren't ultimately credited to AA. I can practically walk my regular commute (two airports) blindfolded, and can walk most of DFW blindfolded, have the backup route options memorized, etc etc...

And I really don't have a choice here. It's saddening. I *like* AA a *lot* and want to stay with them. But the project and business plan that's driving our spend right now isn't sustainable on cash tickets (due to lack of flexibility and predictability of costs).

Sigh.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: AA Ck, Delta DM, Marriott ambassador , Hertz President, National EE, Hilton Diamond ,
I got a call from AA asking me what they could do to keep my corporate booking business in light of the airpass cancellation.

I told them honestly that I think I’ll just let anyone book the flight of their choice with the carrier of their choice and simply use corporate virtual cards to track receipts. No more corporate accounts with specific airlines.

They seemed shocked but I told them that they took away the one unique feature that AA offered me and that as an ex-EU flyer it was already a tough decision (and ultimately an emotional rather than economic one) for me to justify prioritizing AA and buying Airpass miles each year.

Sadly the lovely employee on the other line seemed to be flummoxed by my reply so I’m not sure I did anything positive for those of us already missing the programme or whom would like to see aspects of it returned in a new venture.
that’s great what you said. If they see business people leaving that will help or at least show them they made a mistake.

I spoke to United yesterday about there pass plus program. They have been getting a lot of calls in the past week from Airpass people. I told her United will will now get a lot more of our business. I told her one of the biggest things is getting global services, and fares like Airpass. It does work differently but I like United’s version as well. There’s 3 types but 1 of them has to go though a travel agency.

I just wish AA had it still as I’m in south Florida. As of now I’ll use my CK extension but for business prob negotiate with United. Delta doesn’t have any program similar unfortunately. The rep did say United upper Managment spoke and there’s zero plans on ending there’s. If anything this just made it alot stronger

to add she also mentioned it seems AA is focusing on leisure travel. She heard even larger regular business contracts are having issues

Last edited by scott56; Dec 9, 2022 at 5:43 am
Old Dec 9, 2022, 12:29 pm

I told them honestly that I think I’ll just let anyone book the flight of their choice with the carrier of their choice and simply use corporate virtual cards to track receipts. No more corporate accounts with specific airlines..
I was thinking about you when I saw they were pulling this -- meant to reach out on FB but travel got in the way.

Once you get over the emotional tie to AA, I think you'll end up being a lot happier being a free agent. Consider what you/your firm spends a year, you'll probably still spend 10-15% but end up getting better flight times, better potential service, and of course the opportunity to negotiate deals direct.

I spoke with 4 of my funding sources already, and all of them are bailing on AA because of this. That makes it 5 out of 5 people I know with Airpass+CK who are bailing -- probably a million bucks in revenue, plus.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: Concierge Key, Marriot Ambasador Elite, National Executive Elite
25 years of being an Airpass member. Easily $1m in spend just for me over that period. Not a call, no heads up, nothing, just that cold e-mail that they are sun setting the program and basically "good luck"

It seems American is doing everything possible they can to alienate their long standing business customers. The inconsistency of CK status, you can only enter an admirals club if you are flying on AA that day, the constant delays, and now elimination of a program that was super convenient for weekly travelers like myself.

I hope someone at American reads these forums. Calling to complain or write a letter will be a waste of time. I know another colleague of mine who feels the same way and is also switching carriers. For me, just booked my first Delta flight in years and told all my employees so basically fly whoever they want (they love Southwest but we preferred they flew on American).
Old Dec 12, 2022, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by yellowcalliper
25 years of being an Airpass member. Easily $1m in spend just for me over that period. Not a call, no heads up, nothing, just that cold e-mail that they are sun setting the program and basically "good luck"

It seems American is doing everything possible they can to alienate their long standing business customers. The inconsistency of CK status, you can only enter an admirals club if you are flying on AA that day, the constant delays, and now elimination of a program that was super convenient for weekly travelers like myself.

I hope someone at American reads these forums. Calling to complain or write a letter will be a waste of time. I know another colleague of mine who feels the same way and is also switching carriers. For me, just booked my first Delta flight in years and told all my employees so basically fly whoever they want (they love Southwest but we preferred they flew on American).
Does anyone know who I would contact to discuss negotiating an individual contract? I'm pretty locked in to AA because of my primary commute, but for various reasons I have to have both flexibility and price predictability.

As in, if I don't, the near-certain result is I'll have to change things professionally to ditch that commute entirely.

Either way, I can't give the business to AA on pure cash tickets for an extended period. But I'd be beyond thrilled to do so with a contract with appropriate flexibility and predictability.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by dave2003
Does anyone know who I would contact to discuss negotiating an individual contract? I'm pretty locked in to AA because of my primary commute, but for various reasons I have to have both flexibility and price predictability.

As in, if I don't, the near-certain result is I'll have to change things professionally to ditch that commute entirely.

Either way, I can't give the business to AA on pure cash tickets for an extended period. But I'd be beyond thrilled to do so with a contract with appropriate flexibility and predictability.
You’re not going to get an individual contract, dude. The program is over. But if you want to talk to someone, why not talk to your Airpass rep, assuming they still work at AA. Even in a different department, their email is likely the same.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
You’re not going to get an individual contract, dude. The program is over. But if you want to talk to someone, why not talk to your Airpass rep, assuming they still work at AA. Even in a different department, their email is likely the same.
Well, thanks for the encouragement. I clearly come here to have others tell me "you're screwed, nbd" when they don't know my situation. Which as you'll note above, I acknowledge is unique.

As for the constructive part of your comment, yes, we did reach out. Surprisingly they had zero info. Not surprising in how AA has handled this, but surprising given how much knowledge historically they had.

If anyone has any other constructive suggestions to share, I'd be grateful!
Old Dec 14, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: AA Ck, Delta DM, Marriott ambassador , Hertz President, National EE, Hilton Diamond ,
Originally Posted by dave2003
Well, thanks for the encouragement. I clearly come here to have others tell me "you're screwed, nbd" when they don't know my situation. Which as you'll note above, I acknowledge is unique.

As for the constructive part of your comment, yes, we did reach out. Surprisingly they had zero info. Not surprising in how AA has handled this, but surprising given how much knowledge historically they had.

If anyone has any other constructive suggestions to share, I'd be grateful!
best thing to do is contact them constantly ( everyone ). I told my rep let me know all available options and to keep me updated. It really seems like aa ended this but we can only hope for a 2.0 or something new. Especially if a lot of folks like my self are looking at United.

at this point I would recomend looking at United pass plus. They offer something very similar. Personal and business. I live in a aa area, but if I get the prepaid program with same prices using there there secure route I’ll prob deal with it.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 6:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by scott56
at this point I would recomend looking at United pass plus. They offer something very similar.
Pass plus Secure is the Airpass-comparable product.
scott56 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 11:44 am

I am still trying to figure out the rationale of this decision . I believe that UA will be a substantial beneficiary of the AA decision . Sure it’s especially rotten for captive hub flyers. I guess AA just believes that everyone is so locked in with them that they will blindly continue their loyalty, pay any price , get the AA credit card or buy club membership and not even look elsewhere . I am happy to see that folks are examining their options . Sure , the pass fares were a bit discounted and very flexible but they were far from cheap . I guess I just don’t understand not wanting to get committed funds paid upfront instead of rolling the dice and hoping all that travel stays with AA. I am sure high demand and lower fuel will help the bottom line but come downturn time , I would think they will miss the accounts they lose with this decision ….. or maybe not .
Old Dec 14, 2022, 11:48 am
Suspended

UA's program is nowhere near as good, FYI.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 12:22 pm
Suspended

United's comparable Pass Plus Secure program:

NEVER MIND, NEED TO FIND ANONYMOUS FILE HOSTING
Old Dec 14, 2022, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by scott56
best thing to do is contact them constantly ( everyone ). I told my rep let me know all available options and to keep me updated. It really seems like aa ended this but we can only hope for a 2.0 or something new. Especially if a lot of folks like my self are looking at United.

at this point I would recomend looking at United pass plus. They offer something very similar. Personal and business. I live in a aa area, but if I get the prepaid program with same prices using there there secure route I’ll prob deal with it.
I'd already be gone if UA were a viable alternative. But it's AA hub to AA hub for my primary commute, and even the next-best routing still almost doubles total travel time.

I can play things out maybe 6 months or so at most, then I'll have to eliminate that commute if I can't find an alternative, which will result in a significant drop in my revenue to AA.

That's why I don't get why they wouldn't want to do an individual contract -- it's pretty simple. If they negotiate a contract, they'll get guaranteed money up front. If not, I'll have to change my business and just not pursue opportunities that require that commute anymore. Either way, AA doesn't earn more money by turning me down. Or others in my situation.

I get that negotiating individually won't likely come with all the same perks and that's fine. The keys for me are fixed price and full flexibility. That can't be that hard to implement.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 6:44 am
Suspended

United's comparable Pass Plus Secure program:

https://pdfhost.io/v/yxYO5V91O_PassPlus_Secure
ExpatExp and HaleiwaFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.