Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Ck, Delta DM, Marriott ambassador , Hertz President, National EE, Hilton Diamond ,
I get it. I drive an extra 35 min to go to Miami for aa. Now I’ll probably use FLL and just use United. I would love to stick with aa since I can go almost anywhere. Airpass was awesome for myself and my company. Ck was a massive perk for me. I’m not a gambler and I’m not gonna spend spend spend and possibly not get CK. I book last second and cancel all the time.

United’s pass plus secure isn’t as good. Airpass gave amazing benefits. With United you need to use those dollors to get any of them. I do wish global services got you into the Polaris lounge. This means I’ll have to connect more and if going to Long Island I have to fly aa or delta still

i do wish delta had a program. But I heard 360 isn’t much at all.

one thing I can’t argue is I love United’s partners.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
I do know of some individuals who actually have AA corporate travel accounts (NOT Airpass); these accounts allow for flex spending on certain fees and status challenges for employees.

The bad news? These individuals typically are spending mid 6 figures a year for themselves and their family members. So I’m not sure a $60-$100k CK Airpass holder will make the cut, especially as on of the goals of the programme is to increase revenue YoY from the account holder.

I’m happy to see if there’s a particular person in Corporate Travel who handles these cases if people want a PoC.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifer, and other stuff...
Originally Posted by wutlol
I do know of some individuals who actually have AA corporate travel accounts (NOT Airpass); these accounts allow for flex spending on certain fees and status challenges for employees.

The bad news? These individuals typically are spending mid 6 figures a year for themselves and their family members. So I’m not sure a $60-$100k CK Airpass holder will make the cut, especially as on of the goals of the programme is to increase revenue YoY from the account holder.

I’m happy to see if there’s a particular person in Corporate Travel who handles these cases if people want a PoC.
I'd be super grateful if you find anything and are comfortable sharing via DM.

Re: increasing YoY revenue -- as I noted above, I can't possibly see how this move will yield that result. Even if I stay with AA due to hub-hub commute lock-in (unlikely, it's much more likely I revise my business plans with a different geographic focus), I still would only do so with about a 40% cutback in flying (or more). Like going down to "just enough to make EP each year" levels from my pre-airpass days. I'd never get anywhere near current spend.

I'm still FML livid about this. It doesn't feel real yet because of the holidays and that I actually was gonna get to stay put for a few weeks at the end of the year. I'm not looking forward to January and February.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 8:01 pm

My past and current circumstance: I have lived in the South San Francisco Bay since 1974. I bought a limited lifetime Aairpass back in 1994, shelling our $160K for 60 thousand airline miles per year, which would roll over to subsequent years if not used. I have accumulated now 740,000 miles to use, mainly by not using AA exclusively and using other carriers. I have had to use other carriers out of SFO and SJC because of reduction of service by AA. When I bought the Aairpass in 1994, AA had established a hub out of SJC.
We had fabulous service, with non stops to Honolulu (3 a day) JFK (3 a day) and even flights to Paris and Taipei, and many other destinations.

AA management gradually abandoned us in the SF Bay Area. Southwest killed the hub (at SJC anyway). AA then figured LAX would be their focus/gateway. No more service to HNL. With the pandemic, we are down to 2 non-stops daily to ORD from SFO, with one of them a red-eye and the other a 6AM departure. We generally had 6 a day. The experience of going to LAX transit hub got old very rapidly. I bought a lot of non-airpass tickets from AA and had annual spend easily near 70-80K, if one included my Aairpass allotment. I asked if they could consider me for CK, and was told (not politely) to pound sand.

So, after all these years, I plunked down $50K 2 weeks ago with UA Pass Plus. This is for a year. I already had 2.4 mm miles on UA anyway. They immediately made me GS, and I must say it is a perk that I grew to like immediately. I did the math, and although it looks I'm leaving about $40K of current airline flying/spending on the table with AA, it's like a stock I own that is underwater, but I don't take the loss because I haven't sold it yet. I can use AA as a backup if I'm tense or desperate to get somewhere. They have committed to serving the lifetime Aairpass folks like myself. I was EXP every year for all the years they had it. Now when I call the EXP line, I get the voice message that they'll call me back when it's my turn. On the weekends, that's frequently over an hour. Even during weekdays, one hour waits are frequent. So much for EXP status.

And the availability of flights on UA out of SFO is something I don't think AA can match. I wish I had bought Pass Plus before this. The deal of getting GS for $50K spend is not something that AA is guaranteeing for CK status, I think. UA has is it on the table, up front, in the contract. No guessing about whether the carrier is in the mood for high status qualification. A good point to consider if comparing. both programs.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by FullFare
My past and current circumstance: I have lived in the South San Francisco Bay since 1974. I bought a limited lifetime Aairpass back in 1994, shelling our $160K for 60 thousand airline miles per year, which would roll over to subsequent years if not used. I have accumulated now 740,000 miles to use, mainly by not using AA exclusively and using other carriers. I have had to use other carriers out of SFO and SJC because of reduction of service by AA. When I bought the Aairpass in 1994, AA had established a hub out of SJC.
We had fabulous service, with non stops to Honolulu (3 a day) JFK (3 a day) and even flights to Paris and Taipei, and many other destinations.

AA management gradually abandoned us in the SF Bay Area. Southwest killed the hub (at SJC anyway). AA then figured LAX would be their focus/gateway. No more service to HNL. With the pandemic, we are down to 2 non-stops daily to ORD from SFO, with one of them a red-eye and the other a 6AM departure. We generally had 6 a day. The experience of going to LAX transit hub got old very rapidly. I bought a lot of non-airpass tickets from AA and had annual spend easily near 70-80K, if one included my Aairpass allotment. I asked if they could consider me for CK, and was told (not politely) to pound sand.

So, after all these years, I plunked down $50K 2 weeks ago with UA Pass Plus. This is for a year. I already had 2.4 mm miles on UA anyway. They immediately made me GS, and I must say it is a perk that I grew to like immediately. I did the math, and although it looks I'm leaving about $40K of current airline flying/spending on the table with AA, it's like a stock I own that is underwater, but I don't take the loss because I haven't sold it yet. I can use AA as a backup if I'm tense or desperate to get somewhere. They have committed to serving the lifetime Aairpass folks like myself. I was EXP every year for all the years they had it. Now when I call the EXP line, I get the voice message that they'll call me back when it's my turn. On the weekends, that's frequently over an hour. Even during weekdays, one hour waits are frequent. So much for EXP status.

And the availability of flights on UA out of SFO is something I don't think AA can match. I wish I had bought Pass Plus before this. The deal of getting GS for $50K spend is not something that AA is guaranteeing for CK status, I think. UA has is it on the table, up front, in the contract. No guessing about whether the carrier is in the mood for high status qualification. A good point to consider if comparing. both programs.
For SFO PassPlus makes tons of sense. GS is not as good as CK, but it's still good. Did you do PassPlus Secure? How's the booking experience/engine?
Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:36 pm

I did Pass Plus Flex, with the other options being Secure, or Exec. I haven't done bookings yet, but they have a pathway lined up for an exclusive Pass Plus Agent. I think GS status would be a help if going to such agents. They gave me a supervising contact with Bob Barba, who has had 3 decades with UA and was very experienced. His contact was a big help in the process. They got me the contract right away, I had my questions answered, and I wired the $$$. Went smoothly. I already have Polaris trips, the first SFO_LHR and the next SFO-CDG booked. They have a new non-stop cooking between SFO-PPT, and my wife is anxious to do that one. I'll let the world know how GS treats me.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Ck, Delta DM, Marriott ambassador , Hertz President, National EE, Hilton Diamond ,
Originally Posted by FullFare
I did Pass Plus Flex, with the other options being Secure, or Exec. I haven't done bookings yet, but they have a pathway lined up for an exclusive Pass Plus Agent. I think GS status would be a help if going to such agents. They gave me a supervising contact with Bob Barba, who has had 3 decades with UA and was very experienced. His contact was a big help in the process. They got me the contract right away, I had my questions answered, and I wired the $$$. Went smoothly. I already have Polaris trips, the first SFO_LHR and the next SFO-CDG booked. They have a new non-stop cooking between SFO-PPT, and my wife is anxious to do that one. I'll let the world know how GS treats me.
curuous to see your thoughts on GS. My company has the pass plus flex as well. Most likely doing the secure. I mainly stuck with aa this year as it’s better for me personally. Only tried GS maybe 5-6 times this year. I noticed it better on board. Would love to hear your thoughts
Old Dec 17, 2022, 4:08 pm
Suspended

I think GS doesn't get the personal attention that CK does for transfers, but it's still decent. PP Flex is the one that just gives discounts? Secure is prefixed prices like Airpass, see my linked PDF above.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 5:28 pm

My prior Pass Plus experience was 25-26 yrs ago. It was a little cumbersome, but I got to write my own tickets. My status was whatever I was accumulating with UA. For the past 5 yrs or so, wife and I have been Lifetime Premier Execs with total of 2.2 mm status miles. Would take us a while to get to 3 mm and lifetime 1K
I would have been OK to have 1K and have scheduled enough travel this year to make the $24,000 spend they wanted (they moved that goal post from 15K to 24K and wouldn't allow credit card spend to count for 1K). So, UA's salesman coaxed me to pony the $50K for guaranteed GS. I said WTH (what the heck).
So I'm a recurring newbie to see how life as GS goes. I'm in my first week with the program, and it all happened with reasonable pace (not the warp speed I'm used to in my business dealings). I will report after my 1st int'l trip after first week of Jan. We had been going to London 3 x/yr, mostly for theatre. Always stay at the Savoy, which is my wife's favorite. We did so much travel to LHR on Virgin, as well as trips to DTW top see my ailing mom, that we were perennial DL Diamond flyers. We even made 1mm on DL. Not to mention 100K mild on Alaska last year, as well as our 200K on AA for EXP (that was a joke, but it wasn't credit card spend).

When Aairpass started for me, back in 1994, it was all love and kisses, with everyone, from FA's to GA's to phone agents fawning all over us. Those days are long gone.
I wanted CK to help with the increasing IRROPS, but, as I have posted ad nauseam, was summarily declined. It really was fairly non-professional. Haven't forgiven AA since, and doubt I will. My wife has been eternally peeved with UA, which is a tough place to be out of SFO hub. We only buy first class tickets, but have had to wait to board behind the 1K's many of whom didi not buy F cabin tickets. On some days, the line of 1K's to board first was over 50. No making it up.

What broke my wife was when we boarded (not really late) there was no overhead bin space and they forced her to check. She was furious, as was I, after purchasing an F ticket. At least they didn't lose it. I'm figuring GS better be hedge against such nonsense.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Interestingly, pkfinman just posted over on the CK thread that he just got his AirPass renewal for next year and that the program wasn't eliminated........
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by jhalapin
Interestingly, pkfinman just posted over on the CK thread that he just got his AirPass renewal for next year and that the program wasn't eliminated........
I wish that was true. I have a feeling something was sent in error
Old Dec 22, 2022, 2:34 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Email was definitely false.

My former Airpass contact left of last week. Did mention AA is looking to restructure their other corporate offerings to better suite HNWI/families and high spend sole proprietors; no timeline on this and it is of little solace to the many Airpass employees who will be made redundant, regardless of promises made to place them elsewhere.

I am working on finding a corporate services contact who will be well suited to addressing the concerns of some here and providing guidance on what remains within that division for former Airpass holders.
jhalapin and GoBirds like this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifer, and other stuff...
Originally Posted by wutlol
Email was definitely false.

My former Airpass contact left of last week. Did mention AA is looking to restructure their other corporate offerings to better suite HNWI/families and high spend sole proprietors; no timeline on this and it is of little solace to the many Airpass employees who will be made redundant, regardless of promises made to place them elsewhere.

I am working on finding a corporate services contact who will be well suited to addressing the concerns of some here and providing guidance on what remains within that division for former Airpass holders.

I'd be very grateful if you find such a contact and are comfortable sharing (either in forum or via DM).

Being able to negotiate with someone who can understand a value proposition would be very helpful...
Old Jan 30, 2023, 7:34 am
Suspended

Was re-reading the FAQ, and it's not super clear what happens to unused funds on March 31, 2024. I'm assuming refunded? It says elsewhere I can request a refund at any time, but I'm assuming at the end, it's automatic?

What does that do to my CK status, which has been extended contract end + 12 months = September 15, 2024? I wonder if it will end March 31, 2024?

FAQ: https://airpass.aa.com/airpass-faqs/
Old Feb 5, 2023, 5:10 am

I forgot to mention it here, but I did speak to my rep not to long ago. She mentioned right now AA is in the process of reviewing things. Wondering if there’s a chance they will come out with a 2.0 version, more like United’s. United does it good as well, a few different options to choose from. It seems to cost the airline less.
GoBirds likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.