Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2023, 11:17 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by scott56
I forgot to mention it here, but I did speak to my rep not to long ago. She mentioned right now AA is in the process of reviewing things. Wondering if there’s a chance they will come out with a 2.0 version, more like United’s. United does it good as well, a few different options to choose from. It seems to cost the airline less.
I wonder how many companies went to UA instead, when Airpass got sunsetted. I am sure companies based out of AA's hubs will still be with AA, even by purchasing rack rates with tax write offs. It is just an interesting business decision to not offer an alternative, in order to try to recapture the current customers that may not be AA hub captive.

Hopefully Airpass version 2.0 will come out in time.
donotblink likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Ck, Delta DM, Marriott ambassador , Hertz President, National EE, Hilton Diamond ,
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
I wonder how many companies went to UA instead, when Airpass got sunsetted. I am sure companies based out of AA's hubs will still be with AA, even by purchasing rack rates with tax write offs. It is just an interesting business decision to not offer an alternative, in order to try to recapture the current customers that may not be AA hub captive.

Hopefully Airpass version 2.0 will come out in time.
my UA sales rep said a lot. We probably aren’t doing United this year again. We went through half of our funds. Unfortunately United just doesn’t go where we need to go from Florida. AA really does this the best. Not to say I dislike United, CK is also a lot better then GS. I wish GS got the Polaris lounge at least.

I really hate booking the old way. I loved Airpass being able to book several flights , or at least always the same price. My 400 flights are now 900-1200. Truthfully I would be happy with giving us the prepaid flights and then doing what United does. Using the funds for status , club access ect
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifer, and other stuff...
Originally Posted by scott56
my UA sales rep said a lot. We probably aren’t doing United this year again. We went through half of our funds. Unfortunately United just doesn’t go where we need to go from Florida. AA really does this the best. Not to say I dislike United, CK is also a lot better then GS. I wish GS got the Polaris lounge at least.

I really hate booking the old way. I loved Airpass being able to book several flights , or at least always the same price. My 400 flights are now 900-1200. Truthfully I would be happy with giving us the prepaid flights and then doing what United does. Using the funds for status , club access ect
I totally agree. I keep hoping desperately that they'll offer an alternative.

I've already cut back my travel about 60-70%, which really is hurting business but everything I do is mostly last-minute and subject to very high rates of change (I'd say I ended up staying on the first flight I picked maybe 1/3 of the time last year tops).

I'm AA locked (70% of travel is hub-hub), so I don't even have a colorable alternative at the moment. I'd be thrilled to give AA my business, but their current ticketing model just doesn't work with my travel patterns.

Airpass was perfect, sigh...
Old Feb 13, 2023, 12:02 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by dave2003
I totally agree. I keep hoping desperately that they'll offer an alternative.

I've already cut back my travel about 60-70%, which really is hurting business but everything I do is mostly last-minute and subject to very high rates of change (I'd say I ended up staying on the first flight I picked maybe 1/3 of the time last year tops).

I'm AA locked (70% of travel is hub-hub), so I don't even have a colorable alternative at the moment. I'd be thrilled to give AA my business, but their current ticketing model just doesn't work with my travel patterns.

Airpass was perfect, sigh...
I've been told that they want to have a new offering ready to go in 2024. What that means, I don't know. I've heard that AA wants it better integrated into the existing Business Extra programme.
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by wutlol
I've been told that they want to have a new offering ready to go in 2024. What that means, I don't know. I've heard that AA wants it better integrated into the existing Business Extra programme.
What's the source of this info (if you're comfortable sharing)?

Do we have any idea the confidence level?
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by dave2003
What's the source of this info (if you're comfortable sharing)?

Do we have any idea the confidence level?
My confidence level is about 5%. This is from my relationship manager for my corporate travel account with AA who has been trying to manage me given I am frustrated about the discontinuation of Airpass.

I wouldn’t put it past him to make it up just to make me feel more comfortable with sticking around (I’m not going anywhere anyway). The lack of any details and the vagaries on dates makes me skeptical.

But it is what I was told.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by wutlol
My confidence level is about 5%. This is from my relationship manager for my corporate travel account with AA who has been trying to manage me given I am frustrated about the discontinuation of Airpass.

I wouldn’t put it past him to make it up just to make me feel more comfortable with sticking around (I’m not going anywhere anyway). The lack of any details and the vagaries on dates makes me skeptical.

But it is what I was told.
Thanks... sadly I suspect your analysis may be right... sounds like now isn't the time to open negotiations with them yet.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
If you book a flight that departs AFTER your Airpass contact expiration does it remain valid? Because obviously I cannot extend my contract now with the sunsetting of the program.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by tismfu
If you book a flight that departs AFTER your Airpass contact expiration does it remain valid? Because obviously I cannot extend my contract now with the sunsetting of the program.
If memory serves, the funds will still be usable through sometime in 2024, you just won't get the other airpass benefits (aadmirals club, wifi, dedicated phone line, status, etc) after the program ends in 2023.

At least that's my memory of how I interpreted the email that was written out of nowhere.

I'd check the website/FAQs... they probably answer these questions, if indirectly.
tismfu likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tismfu
I believe everyone received automatic contract extensions, but I don't think the funds can be used beyond the new contract expiration date.

I know the email I received also mentioned that I could request a refund of unused funds, but it was clear any Airpass benefits would be lost by requesting the refund (which may not be a big deal if you're just losing free wi-fi, or your AC membership, or something else easily replaceable like that, but it could be a bigger deal if you had Airpass-related status, for example).

If you've built up a big balance, I suppose one strategy could be to wait until just before the contract expires to continue enjoying any benefits, and then request a refund at the last minute. And to add a disclaimer -- I don't know everyone's individual situation, and I don't know whether the emails Airpass sent out varied between different members, so perhaps different offers were extended to different individuals.
tismfu likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by metallo
I believe everyone received automatic contract extensions, but I don't think the funds can be used beyond the new contract expiration date.

I know the email I received also mentioned that I could request a refund of unused funds, but it was clear any Airpass benefits would be lost by requesting the refund (which may not be a big deal if you're just losing free wi-fi, or your AC membership, or something else easily replaceable like that, but it could be a bigger deal if you had Airpass-related status, for example).

If you've built up a big balance, I suppose one strategy could be to wait until just before the contract expires to continue enjoying any benefits, and then request a refund at the last minute. And to add a disclaimer -- I don't know everyone's individual situation, and I don't know whether the emails Airpass sent out varied between different members, so perhaps different offers were extended to different individuals.
My contract was not extended (but I am a small peanuts Airpass customer). I had just a few hundred dollars that I requested to be refunded, and the phone rep didn’t mention a thing about losing benefits (the email I received said benefits would end when contract expired, not when refund requested - but perhaps I need to read between the lines). Much to my dismay, a few days later I received an email which stated I would need to rebook all of my Airpass flights to regular tickets. A quick phone call to Airpass cleared that up and the refund process was canceled, but I sure wish they’d train the phone agents to go over the consequences of requesting a refund of the Airpass balance.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
My employer added me to Airpass recently. I emailed today to request the wifi code(s). They wrote back and said it would be emailed to me in... 4-7 days?! Wow. 😂
Old Mar 17, 2023, 6:26 pm

Programs: Frequent AA Flyer
Originally Posted by econometrics;[url=tel:35095292
35095292[/url]]My employer added me to Airpass recently. I emailed today to request the wifi code(s). They wrote back and said it would be emailed to me in... 4-7 days?! Wow. 😂
You can call Airpass customer service and they should give you your code immediately over the phone, or at least that’s what I did.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by GoBirds
You can call Airpass customer service and they should give you your code immediately over the phone, or at least that’s what I did.
I guess it's nice while I still lasts... sigh. I still can't believe how shortsighted this whole method of handling things has been.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by GoBirds
That's good to know. I have a domestic flight on Tues, and might not get the email before then. Lol 🤦🏻‍♂️

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.