Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirborneLocksmith
All about the Boeing 777-323ER Business and First Class cabins and seats

Link to the Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra seating thread.
Link to the Boeing 777 Seating Guide thread for the latest seat maps

All 8 First and 52 Business seats recline to horizontally flat, have full aisle access and are isolated from other seats; they offer folding flat screen AVOD with touchscreen monitor that offers on-demand entertainment with up to 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games, 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi is offered for sale. B&O noise cancelling headphones are available for use in flight (generally picked up an hour prior to arrival), and both cabins feature a walk-up bar stocked with snacks and refreshments.

First Class seating
Eight First Class Flagship suites by Safran (nee Zodiac Aerospace), though they are not as spacious a seat as the original 772 F suite, offer 82 / 208 cm of pitch and 36 width in a herringbone 1-2-1 configuration; they become a fully horizontal 6 8 bed with retractable arm rests extending the width; turndown service provides a mattress pad, pillow, duvet, amenity kit and pajamas. Seats swivel, diners in D-G First suites can dine face to face with privacy screen lowered. Each suite has two folding tables.
  • A and D, and G and J are not aligned / are slightly offset (contrary to Seatguru and other seat charts).
  • D and G pairs have a high privacy screen that can be raised / lowered.
  • Note that 1D and G have no bins, so bin contention does occur
Link to Ben Schlappig aka Lucky / The Boarding Area review of AA 77W F seat
Link to Rocky Horan's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex [Link does not work]
Link to Steve Case's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex

There are a large folding flat 17" touch screen AVOD, two 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input (red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic eXport jack (see here). The seat controls are in an iPhone like touch controller.

Business class seats
All 52 business class seats offer aisle access and convert to fully horizontal flat beds and feature 75 pitch, 26 wide (at its widest point, so less in actuality) fully horizontal seats in a 1-2-1 "pod" configuration offer full AVOD through large flat folding screens and a Panasonic eX2 IFE system, retractable aisle arm rests. The seats move forward and aft to adjust distance fro service table, etc. The headset jack is behind a small stowage door at shoulder height that holds the B&O noise reducing headsets, personal light and air vent, 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input ( red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic export jack link), touch seat controls, AVOD corded hand controller. Some storage, including shoe stowage, is available. The center seat pairs do not provide close seating for couples.

Link to JPA Design Zodiac Aerospace Cirrus Business Class seat page.
  • 3A-J people like privacy, only single window
  • 4A-4J too noisy (galley and lav close) for some
  • rows 3 and 4 have reports of being somewhat ignored by J cabin crew
  • Row 5 has only single window, close to galley and lavs / noisy
  • Row 7 one window, 7A overhead stowage taken by O2 equipment
  • Row 11 has no windows
  • Row 12 is at the wing root; 13-15 downward views impaired by the wing
  • Row 15 is positioned directly in front of the Economy lavs
Link to The Points Guy 77W J seat and services review by Sarah Silbert and photos by Zach Honig.

Center Business seat (c/o The Points Guy) link to review

Service caveats: some crew variability, and some crews excessively noisy in the galleys. Applies in F, J including J minicabin.
  • The seat selection sites (seatguru, seatexpert) are often mostly correct, and are not 100% reliable in any case (seatguru has 77W seat chart corrected errors).
  • Link to The Points Guy Business a Class and seat review with photos and video
  • Link to (amateurish) Youtube video of 77W seats in mockup
Print Wikipost

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:02 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by rjlon
I would scrap the wine and alcohol service for good coffee throughout the plane.
And I would scrap the coffee service for better wine and booze service.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For some, all meals served are a waste of AA's money. For others, anything containing alcohol is a waste of AA's money. For some people, the most important thing is the most up-to-date AVOD IFE. For others (including me), that's a giant waste of AA's money.

Every passenger values something that many others don't value.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Have to say i was very happy with the hard product - 4J -- no real issues w galley noise -- like CX, BR, US - it is a top of the line J seat -- very close to BA F IMO.

The snack bar looks better in pictures than actual product. There service was in some ways very good and in other words very AA. There was a highly disgruntled FA serving F if you flagged her down going from F to the Door 2 galley was just pissy and moody. The J FAs serving the mini-cabin showed AA can provide great service
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
From the photos/videos, it looks like the AA J seat lacks CX's little extra butt extension that extends out in fully flat position. According to CX, this is supposed to allow for a more spacious sleeping feel.

Has anyone flown both and noticed a difference?

Any other differences between the two seats?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Lunamoth
From the photos/videos, it looks like the AA J seat lacks CX's little extra butt extension that extends out in fully flat position. According to CX, this is supposed to allow for a more spacious sleeping feel.

Has anyone flown both and noticed a difference?

Any other differences between the two seats?
Is that the flap that flips up from the outer-side of the seat and makes the seat wider? If so, the AA seat has it.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA
For some, all meals served are a waste of AA's money. For others, anything containing alcohol is a waste of AA's money. For some people, the most important thing is the most up-to-date AVOD IFE. For others (including me), that's a giant waste of AA's money.

Every passenger values something that many others don't value.
Very true. Even with seat as a tall guy I have issues with BA J and was relieved to find AA J in a window seat just works. But I have heard shorter people complain about some seats being uncomfortable as too big. I guess running an airline is not as easy as we sometimes might think from posts.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Blue
Hi, very excited to have my first ever AA flight in J booked and am going on one of the new 777W's. Can I ask what the view is on the row 3-4 mini cabin. Read this thread and can't work out if it's the place to be or the place to avoid. Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by thatbloke
Hi, very excited to have my first ever AA flight in J booked and am going on one of the new 777W's. Can I ask what the view is on the row 3-4 mini cabin. Read this thread and can't work out if it's the place to be or the place to avoid. Thanks.
Just did first leg back in J on 77W yesterday LHR-LAX.

I was in 8J and found it very enjoyable.

F cabin as two rows feels claustrophobic, never been in mini cabin but it is same size. J cabin feels more spacious. I think some people find mini cabin exclusive. Either way I would opt for single window seat as they seem a tad longer. Row 3 I believe has 1 window instead of 2 and I believe 5 and 11 have no windows.
The J seat is fully flat and has aisle access but it is narrower than F and the high suite walls can make you feel boxed in though not as bad as Virgin. Having a window makes it feel airier.

I guess if you want to feel you are exclusive and almost in F go for Mini if you want more spacious feel then the bigger cabin.

Food was very good. Missed the nice touches like proper coffee in F but all in all very happy. I must lead charmed life as I do not encounter the harridans of FA's others post about (on AA anyway , BA is another story) service was friendly and very professional.

I hope you have great flight but it will spoil you if you ever go back to the old J or the ghastly F on non remodeled 757 as I did yesterday.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by thatbloke
That's because the verdict is mixed. Some people report feeling neglected by FAs in the mini-cabin but obviously this depends on the specific crew you happen to get. Others point out that even if skipped by FA, one can always push the button to summon one.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP/7.0MM
Some really minor points

My wife and I were in 12D/G LAX-LHR and return 3 weeks ago. Here are some observations (YMMV)

• On the outbound first time in the 77W J seats had a great "WOW effect.
  • Talking between us or holding hands is difficult as others have noted. Once she fell asleep it was very difficult to see her.
  • The screens, when stowed, were not visible but in the center, the other persons screen was easy to see.
  • The seat belts are a bit odd with the airbag similar to the ones in bulkhead F on the 738. The belt is in 3 sections with a short, fixed length segment on the non-airbag side. This made for a very slightly odd feeling with the metal "support" used on the airbag equipped belts. Not a problem, just different.
  • There are A/V inputs to connect your source to the on-board display. There is the standard composite+audio (yellow/red/white) RCA jacks that a poster up thread indicated had poor resolution and a mini-DIN connector which could have been S-video. The USB jack was a standard "A" connector (host) and seems to only provide power. My Kindle charged properly so that seems to indicate that is was a high-power (5V/1A) port.
  • Seat power was a 110V outlet that seems to work (unlike a lot of the 738 outlets)
  • I had some trouble with my feet in the footwell in the ZZZ position. This was with my (kind of big) tennis/walking shoes on. The key seems to be getting everything aligned prior to starting the final stage of the recline.
  • There is a "shoe locker" at the floor level on the aisle. Once I found that, the shoes were stowed and no more footwell problems.
  • There was a difference in requirements RE the push-down aisle armrest. On LAX-LHR, the armrest remained up for takeoff and landing. On the LHR-LAX leg, the FA required the armrest to be down for takeoff and landing.

Originally Posted by anabolism
That's because the verdict is mixed. Some people report feeling neglected by FAs in the mini-cabin but obviously this depends on the specific crew you happen to get. Others point out that even if skipped by FA, one can always push the button to summon one.
While not in the mini-cabin, I was in D and my wife was in G for both flights. Outbound, her service was outstanding while on the port side I would call it "minimal" being charitable. On the return, she also got a fantastic FA while I got adequate service. This obviously means nothing but prove YMMV, even on the same flight (and we will be swapping seats the next time we are on the 77W )
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by skydiver
... and a mini-DIN connector which could have been S-video.
It is a Panasonic eXport - http://boardingarea.com/aadvantagege...inment-system/

[*]There was a difference in requirements RE the push-down aisle armrest. On LAX-LHR, the armrest remained up for takeoff and landing. On the LHR-LAX leg, the FA required the armrest to be down for takeoff and landing.
'Down' is correct.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mark_T
It is a Panasonic eXport - http://boardingarea.com/aadvantagege...inment-system/

'Down' is correct.
Two points of note.
First seats have to be swiveled forward for Landing but business seats land at angle. First arm rest has to be up and business has to be down.

Announcement on yesterday's 137. Will first and business class passengers make sure their seat is facing forward. Good luck getting a business seat to face forward....
Old Mar 11, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
So I just sat in 4J on DFW-GRU last night. Agree with what everyone says about the seat, for 6'+ and big feet, it is so much better than the DL flat bed on the 767s.

I also really liked the minicabin, when I sat down and probably through dinner. But then I wanted to sleep. I always sit in the mini cabin on CX and I have never heard so much noise generated in a galley before. It was like they were walking in and throwing containers down, slamming things, etc. I think this experience reflects poorly on this crew and so am hoping maybe I'll get another trip in the mini cabin where they keep the noise down more. Even with ear plugs/ noise cancelling head phones I was intermittently woken up during the end of the dinner service and the start of the breakfast service.

Otherwise, I'm impressed, great seat, good IFE, WIFI was a nice touch even if slow. I'm never impressed with airline meals, and this flight was no exception. I didn't like th meals on order so did an advanced order of a veg meal. It was pretty weak, mostly a pile of rice and some overcooked green beans.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MARRIOTT TI, HILTON GLD
I have fifteen minutes til I have to board my DXB-LHR on BA, so wondering if someone can help me stat

My buddy and I just cleared SWU to J on LHR-JFK for tomorrow (Thurs) morning.

Only seats left are in the middle. Would you recommend sitting one behind the other or next to each other? I hear these are pretty private, so wasn't sure if next to each other would be more isolated than one behind the other.

Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by scstrider86
I have fifteen minutes til I have to board my DXB-LHR on BA, so wondering if someone can help me stat

My buddy and I just cleared SWU to J on LHR-JFK for tomorrow (Thurs) morning.

Only seats left are in the middle. Would you recommend sitting one behind the other or next to each other? I hear these are pretty private, so wasn't sure if next to each other would be more isolated than one behind the other.

Thanks!
Already 15 min, but here goes. I assume this is a 77W. It's hard to know what to recommend without knowing what you care about.

Middle seats next to each other: you can see each other more easily, chat without getting up, slide items across to each other while seated.

One behind the other: You're on the same side of the aisle, so it's much easier to physically get to the other's seat (you must go all the way around through the galley to cross over to the other aisle). This is the main benefit, and for me is more important when flying with an SO (to help with luggage, to go sit next to her in her seat and talk to her quietly, etc) when I can't get A/D or D/J seats.

For traveling with a friend, I would choose D/G seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.