Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirborneLocksmith
All about the Boeing 777-323ER Business and First Class cabins and seats

Link to the Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra seating thread.
Link to the Boeing 777 Seating Guide thread for the latest seat maps

All 8 First and 52 Business seats recline to horizontally flat, have full aisle access and are isolated from other seats; they offer folding flat screen AVOD with touchscreen monitor that offers on-demand entertainment with up to 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games, 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi is offered for sale. B&O noise cancelling headphones are available for use in flight (generally picked up an hour prior to arrival), and both cabins feature a walk-up bar stocked with snacks and refreshments.

First Class seating
Eight First Class Flagship suites by Safran (nee Zodiac Aerospace), though they are not as spacious a seat as the original 772 F suite, offer 82 / 208 cm of pitch and 36 width in a herringbone 1-2-1 configuration; they become a fully horizontal 6 8 bed with retractable arm rests extending the width; turndown service provides a mattress pad, pillow, duvet, amenity kit and pajamas. Seats swivel, diners in D-G First suites can dine face to face with privacy screen lowered. Each suite has two folding tables.
  • A and D, and G and J are not aligned / are slightly offset (contrary to Seatguru and other seat charts).
  • D and G pairs have a high privacy screen that can be raised / lowered.
  • Note that 1D and G have no bins, so bin contention does occur
Link to Ben Schlappig aka Lucky / The Boarding Area review of AA 77W F seat
Link to Rocky Horan's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex [Link does not work]
Link to Steve Case's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex

There are a large folding flat 17" touch screen AVOD, two 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input (red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic eXport jack (see here). The seat controls are in an iPhone like touch controller.

Business class seats
All 52 business class seats offer aisle access and convert to fully horizontal flat beds and feature 75 pitch, 26 wide (at its widest point, so less in actuality) fully horizontal seats in a 1-2-1 "pod" configuration offer full AVOD through large flat folding screens and a Panasonic eX2 IFE system, retractable aisle arm rests. The seats move forward and aft to adjust distance fro service table, etc. The headset jack is behind a small stowage door at shoulder height that holds the B&O noise reducing headsets, personal light and air vent, 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input ( red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic export jack link), touch seat controls, AVOD corded hand controller. Some storage, including shoe stowage, is available. The center seat pairs do not provide close seating for couples.

Link to JPA Design Zodiac Aerospace Cirrus Business Class seat page.
  • 3A-J people like privacy, only single window
  • 4A-4J too noisy (galley and lav close) for some
  • rows 3 and 4 have reports of being somewhat ignored by J cabin crew
  • Row 5 has only single window, close to galley and lavs / noisy
  • Row 7 one window, 7A overhead stowage taken by O2 equipment
  • Row 11 has no windows
  • Row 12 is at the wing root; 13-15 downward views impaired by the wing
  • Row 15 is positioned directly in front of the Economy lavs
Link to The Points Guy 77W J seat and services review by Sarah Silbert and photos by Zach Honig.

Center Business seat (c/o The Points Guy) link to review

Service caveats: some crew variability, and some crews excessively noisy in the galleys. Applies in F, J including J minicabin.
  • The seat selection sites (seatguru, seatexpert) are often mostly correct, and are not 100% reliable in any case (seatguru has 77W seat chart corrected errors).
  • Link to The Points Guy Business a Class and seat review with photos and video
  • Link to (amateurish) Youtube video of 77W seats in mockup
Print Wikipost

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedBird17Victor
NRT not announced, may not be, think AA want the "Legacy" routes to London (Summer will be 2 JFKLHR, 2 DFWLHR, 1 MIALHR), plus obviously South American Routes and HKG.
JFK-LHR is going 3x as of March.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Originally Posted by JonNYC
As I posted in another thread (and someone else corrected above as well,) this is definitely not at all correct. Very, very different seats, and:
Personal space for AA 772 F is approx 20.3 sq. ft. per seat.
Personal space for 77W J is approx 12.5 sq. st per seat.
Seriously......thanks for setting things straight......where do people get this stuff from? J on 773 same as first as 772?

Let's make a new rule: if you have not personally sat in a seat you cannot make comments on it. This will prevent the constant spread of inaccurate information.

Cheers,
AA777

Last edited by AA777; Feb 15, 2014 at 7:07 pm
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA777
...This will prevent the constant spread of inaccurate information.
You won't find too many folks who feel as strongly about that as me.

That said (but again, still strongly agreeing with ya!) funny thing is when sometime misinformation comes from the airline itself.

Like here:
http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/features/ame...widebody-fleet

[772 new J-seat] Up to 45 new fully lie-flat Business Class seats will provide customers among the largest living spaces of any 777 Business Class seat offered by U.S. airlines. The new seat will be an industry leader giving travelers up to two times more living space than American's current 777-200ER Business Class seat
The new 772 J-seat will have about 14 sq. ft of living space per, the current 777 J-seat is about 11.5 sq. ft per. So, yeah-- 14 -is- "up to two times" 11.5, but... probably not the best way to describe it!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
As I posted in another thread (and someone else corrected above as well,) this is definitely not at all correct. Very, very different seats, and:
Personal space for AA 772 F is approx 20.3 sq. ft. per seat.
Personal space for 77W J is approx 12.5 sq. st per seat.
But I think it's fair to say that the experience in the 77W J seat is much closer to that of the 772 F seat than it is to the 772 J seat.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA777
Seriously......thanks for setting things straight......where do people get this stuff from? J on 773 same as first as 772?

Let's make a new rule: if you have not personally sat in a seat you cannot make comments on it. This will prevent the constant spread of inaccurate information.

Cheers,
AA777
It may be perception but the AA 77W/CX/BR J seat certainly seems very close in space to some of the BA F seats - notable first two rows in the 744s and the center seats. While it is probably a bit of perception with BA New F reducing the size of the side tray it probably makes it seem closer to the J seats I mentioned.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
It may be perception but the AA 77W/CX/BR J seat certainly seems very close in space to some of the BA F seats - notable first two rows in the 744s and the center seats. While it is probably a bit of perception with BA New F reducing the size of the side tray it probably makes it seem closer to the J seats I mentioned.
That they (BA F and Cirrus business class seat used by AA and CX) are both herringbone type angled layouts makes them feel similar to some, but the BA F seat has much more personal space the Cirrus J seat.

For sure though, the 1x2x1 set-up certainly makes a huge difference and closes the gap considerably.

Last edited by JonNYC; Feb 16, 2014 at 12:10 am
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:39 am
Suspended

That they (BA F and Cirrus business class seat used by AA and CX) are both herringbone type angled layouts makes them feel similar to some, but the BA F seat has much more personal space the Cirrus J seat.

For sure though, the 1x2x1 set-up certainly makes a huge difference and closes the gap considerably.
I was also thinking specifically about Row 4 and 5 EF in the 744s - the center 2 that face forward and have less shelf space than the herring bone. Again, it might be perception but they feel like they have less space than the window seats.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:44 am
Suspended

I was also thinking specifically about Row 4 and 5 EF in the 744s - the center 2 that face forward and have less shelf space than the herring bone. Again, it might be perception but they feel like they have less space than the window seats.
Could very easily be, not using the angle to create extra bed-length and probably have less effective pitch, now that you mention it.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Haven't experienced AA F seats myself, but on UA the big psychological difference is privacy (when traveling alone, that is not necessarily what you want when you're with someone else). UA J, just like old AA J, felt like I was out in public, but F felt more like I was in my own private area. The new AA J feels even more private than UA F, although the total space is clearly smaller. In fact it feels more private than even the LH F seat that includes a full bed next to it because the LH seat is completely open to the aisle, while AA J uses both a partition and its angle to block the view of there passengers.

As far as space measurements go, the major factor for me is whether I have enough space for myself and whatever stuff I want around me, which the new AA J seats have (for me, anyway). Beyond that, extra space brings diminishing returns. A small, but well-designed bunk area in a sailboat can feel more comfortable than a king-size bed in a large hotel room that has no convenient storage areas nearby.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Haven't experienced AA F seats myself, but on UA the big psychological difference is privacy (when traveling alone, that is not necessarily what you want when you're with someone else). UA J, just like old AA J, felt like I was out in public, but F felt more like I was in my own private area. The new AA J feels even more private than UA F, although the total space is clearly smaller. In fact it feels more private than even the LH F seat that includes a full bed next to it because the LH seat is completely open to the aisle, while AA J uses both a partition and its angle to block the view of there passengers.

As far as space measurements go, the major factor for me is whether I have enough space for myself and whatever stuff I want around me, which the new AA J seats have (for me, anyway). Beyond that, extra space brings diminishing returns. A small, but well-designed bunk area in a sailboat can feel more comfortable than a king-size bed in a large hotel room that has no convenient storage areas nearby.
I'm a big fan of the reverse herring bone both for privacy and usable space for my stuff.

The irony is the launch customer was US Airways.

The PMCO BF seats are fine IMO; the PMUA seats are probably the worst fully flat/horizontal seat on the market - whereas BA scrunches 2x4x2 with quite a bit of privacy, UA is like sitting on a subway bench looking at the people on the other side.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I'm a big fan of the reverse herring bone both for privacy and usable space for my stuff.

The PMCO BF seats are fine IMO; the PMUA seats are probably the worst fully flat/horizontal seat on the market - whereas BA scrunches 2x4x2 with quite a bit of privacy, UA is like sitting on a subway bench looking at the people on the other side.
Interestingly, BA's CW even with their 2x4x2 configuration allows all CW passengers to have aisle access, whereas the UA's 2x4x2 configuration does not. The 1x2x1 configuration on the 77W of course is more preferable than either BA's or UA's product.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Time traveller
The 1x2x1 configuration on the 77W of course is more preferable than either BA's or UA's product.
There are several Upper Deck CW seats I would take over the 1x2x1 herring bone.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 2:33 pm

There are several Upper Deck CW seats I would take over the 1x2x1 herring bone.
But if the AA 77W would have an upper deck I would go for the 77W. I have flown Virgin Atlantic Upper Deck, and their herringbone setup was fantastic. Add in reverse herringbone and you have a unique product. More private than a private jet (which does not usually have flat bed seats).
The BA 77W J cabin is a dorm ...
Old Feb 16, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat

Indeed, I found those pmUA seats quite comfortable and they felt very private when lying flat, but it was impossible to find any place where you could avoid looking eye-to-eye with someone else.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Interestingly, BA's CW even with their 2x4x2 configuration allows all CW passengers to have aisle access, whereas the UA's 2x4x2 configuration does not. The 1x2x1 configuration on the 77W of course is more preferable than either BA's or UA's product.
I've only flown BA CW once, but I distinctly remember some passengers having to climb over other passengers' feet to get to the aisle. Not what I would call "aisle access" exactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.