Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
(Link) to “United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty (APD) Charged UK Departing Passengers”

Link to html full APD tax law

APD rates as of 01 Apr 2020:
Band A (0 to 2,000 miles) £13 Reduced, £26 Standard
Band B (anything over 2,000 miles): Reduced £80, Standard £176

Infants and children
“Children below the age of 2 years who are not allocated a separate seat before boarding the aircraft are not chargeable passengers. If a seat is purchased for the infant then APD is chargeable.

From 1 May 2015, children who are under the age of 12 years on the date of the flight, and in the lowest class of travel, are not chargeable passengers. Children 12 years and over, or travelling in any other class, are chargeable passengers and APD is due.

From 1 March 2016 children who are under the age of 16 years on the date of the flight, and in the lowest class of travel, are not chargeable passengers. Children 16 years and over, or travelling in any other class, are chargeable passengers and APD is due.”

General notes:
distances calculated between national capitals - e.g. HNL calculated as WAS.
Link to Source: U.K. Excise Notice 550: Air Passenger Duty

APD is due when passengers pay to upgrade any stage of their journey

N.B. Arriving at a UK airport will not incur APD. Connections with less than 24 hours will generally not require APD*; you may have to have the rate desk intervene if you are not on a through ticket. As noted, "band distance" is calculated Capital to Capital.

APD is not charged on flights originating in the Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands. APD is not payable on direct, Band B, flights departing Northern Ireland.

* Connecting flights exemption (UK APD regulation)
“The connected flights must be detailed on the same ticket or conjunction tickets to qualify for the exemption. Tickets can only be regarded as conjunction tickets if:

a. they are in one booklet, or
b. where they are in separate booklets:
each refers to the other and states that they are to be read in conjunction
there is a summary of the flights constituting the passengers journey including the flights in question

Although the flights may meet all the other criteria for determining whether Two flights are connected, they will only qualify for the exemption if the connection is evidenced on the ticket or a flight summary.”

AA (c/o JonNYC, post #219):

septix by JonNYCme, on Flickr
Print Wikipost

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by washeelers747
JonNYC, thank you for sharing this image. Did you see additional details outside of that image where passengers should reach out for APD refund purposes, my guess is AA refund department? I am debating, press my refund case BEFORE or AFTER my trip. In my situation, I'll take UA award ticketed trip to LHR with 23 hours connection before start my AA-award trip.
AA is simply acting as an agent selling a ticket for EY in your case and would need to deal with Etithad to see whether it would be prepared to refund the duty. AA's policies will be applicable to AA flights
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Avoiding LHR tax with separate tixs (less than 24 hrs)

I read some time ago that AA can look up my BA ticket (this case is from DUB with a 22 hr stop over in London) and base the award taxes off that and not ex LHR?
I called numerous times and AA is saying no they must all be on same ticket
Has this changed or what should I say/do?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
There is not much you can do to avoid LHR taxes if you are on two separate tickets. AA is correct here.You have to be on same ticket to avoid the taxes.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by aglp2k
There is not much you can do to avoid LHR taxes if you are on two separate tickets. AA is correct here.You have to be on same ticket to avoid the taxes.
Not necessarily so. We will merge this into the appropriate thread. /Moderator
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
After reading the first few posts seems it is possible (maybe only in the past )
I have tried 4 agents and all say no
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cbrown5294
I read some time ago that AA can look up my BA ticket (this case is from DUB with a 22 hr stop over in London) and base the award taxes off that and not ex LHR?
I called numerous times and AA is saying no they must all be on same ticket
Has this changed or what should I say/do?
Originally Posted by aglp2k
No, that's incorrect--or at least was incorrect as of July 28th, my posts above. No requirement to be on a single ticket.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26670568-post155.html
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Re-confrimed, still current.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
JonNYC is right.

AA just has to reference your connecting ticket number in their system so that they have documentation when the tax man comes calling as to why they didn't collect tax from you.

I've done it a few times at the airport by giving them the boarding pass from my previous flight. After some serious typing, things usually get figured out.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:27 pm

any luxury tax for using AA SWU upgrade for flight from LAX to London

Is there any luxury tax for using AA SWU upgrade for flight
from LAX to London ??
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by easyguy
Is there any luxury tax for using AA SWU upgrade for flight
from LAX to London ??
Nope. But yes on the return.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
No, it's departures ex-UK that involve the luxury tax.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Somewhat old, but believed still mostly current link discussing this and some ways around it (which may not help your situation):

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...minimize-it/++

The air passenger duty apply to travel originating in the UK. It’s essentially a departure tax. You don’t pay this if you’re flying into the UK, but rather only when flying out of the UK.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
United Kingdom APD is only due when you originate (or connect over 23:59) in the United Kingdom.

We will merge this into the existing Air Passenger a Duty thread. /Moderator
Old Sep 6, 2016, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Even AA employees can get ADP refunded by proving they were connecting from another flight even if it was a ZED fare ticket from OW carrier.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:28 am

Wow, this is a very, very technical thread. Thank you to everyone for your input.

Connecting AMS-LGW on BA on 11/28 booked through Chase UR portal then BA LGW-TPA booked with AA miles. I called BA to link the record locators today for baggage purposes.

Looks like I now need to call AA and request a refund of APD.

ETA: Called AA and they said they have no way of seeing the BA revenue flight from AMS-LGW since I booked it through BA and the best thing for me to do is visit the ticketing counter when I land at TPA and request a refund. Looks like I'm HUCA'ing

Last edited by FlyerTalkUserName; Oct 20, 2016 at 10:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.