Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
(Link) to “United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty (APD) Charged UK Departing Passengers”

Link to html full APD tax law

APD rates as of 01 Apr 2020:
Band A (0 to 2,000 miles) £13 Reduced, £26 Standard
Band B (anything over 2,000 miles): Reduced £80, Standard £176

Infants and children
“Children below the age of 2 years who are not allocated a separate seat before boarding the aircraft are not chargeable passengers. If a seat is purchased for the infant then APD is chargeable.

From 1 May 2015, children who are under the age of 12 years on the date of the flight, and in the lowest class of travel, are not chargeable passengers. Children 12 years and over, or travelling in any other class, are chargeable passengers and APD is due.

From 1 March 2016 children who are under the age of 16 years on the date of the flight, and in the lowest class of travel, are not chargeable passengers. Children 16 years and over, or travelling in any other class, are chargeable passengers and APD is due.”

General notes:
distances calculated between national capitals - e.g. HNL calculated as WAS.
Link to Source: U.K. Excise Notice 550: Air Passenger Duty

APD is due when passengers pay to upgrade any stage of their journey

N.B. Arriving at a UK airport will not incur APD. Connections with less than 24 hours will generally not require APD*; you may have to have the rate desk intervene if you are not on a through ticket. As noted, "band distance" is calculated Capital to Capital.

APD is not charged on flights originating in the Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands. APD is not payable on direct, Band B, flights departing Northern Ireland.

* Connecting flights exemption (UK APD regulation)
“The connected flights must be detailed on the same ticket or conjunction tickets to qualify for the exemption. Tickets can only be regarded as conjunction tickets if:

a. they are in one booklet, or
b. where they are in separate booklets:
each refers to the other and states that they are to be read in conjunction
there is a summary of the flights constituting the passengers journey including the flights in question

Although the flights may meet all the other criteria for determining whether Two flights are connected, they will only qualify for the exemption if the connection is evidenced on the ticket or a flight summary.”

AA (c/o JonNYC, post #219):

septix by JonNYCme, on Flickr
Print Wikipost

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2023, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyerTom22
Greetings, has anyone had any recent experience getting APD waived on two separate reservations? KEF-LHR (BA) on economy for less than 24 hours before LHR-USA (AA) also on economy but hoping to apply SWU.
I was able to get the EXP desk to do this earlier this year. First put your AA reservation on hold, then buy your BA reservation, then call AA and give them your BA ticket number (it will start with 125). EXP desk had to talk to the tariff desk but was able to remove the departure tax after 5-10 minutes on hold
JJeffrey and FlyerTom22 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I just had a SWU clear for an upcoming LHR-DFW flight. After I hung up with the agent, I realized they didn't collect the additional APD.

The ticket did get reissued, and I have my new ticket number. The new e-mail shows the original ticket price. Receipt isn't showing up properly on AA.com.

Anyone have experience with this situation and how best to resolve?
Old Jan 28, 2024, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by EVA Air
I just had a SWU clear for an upcoming LHR-DFW flight. After I hung up with the agent, I realized they didn't collect the additional APD.

The ticket did get reissued, and I have my new ticket number. The new e-mail shows the original ticket price. Receipt isn't showing up properly on AA.com.

I've had this happen when I've cleared T<2 (after check-in) on both SWU's and mileage upgrades. I always assumed that AA would just charge my card used for the initial flight purchase, but I don't think the number is stored (though it is in my AAdvantage account). In short, cross your fingers and hope. Or be proactive, call in, and offer to pay it.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 2:19 pm

is your ticket just LHR DFW or is LHR a connection?

Old Jan 28, 2024, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 777lover
is your ticket just LHR DFW or is LHR a connection?
JFK-LHR-DFW. 3 nights in LHR, so no connection.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines

I wouldn't do a thing. That's AA's problem not yours. How many people know about the apd anyhow? What if you were a first time SWU user and they didn't mention apd how would you know? We here on flyertalk know 1000% things more than your average joe. Hell there's probably EXP's out there that don't even know it.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
What cabin were you originally in before the upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.