Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Main Cabin Extra ("MCE") Enhanced Legroom in Coach
Eligibility, costs, refunds, what happens if bumped from MCE, etc.

Link to MCE page on aa.com

aa.com: ... With Main Cabin Extra you get a seat towards the front of the Main Cabin with up to six inches of additional legroom to stretch out and relax. You also receive Group 5 boarding which gives you plenty of time to get on the plane, stow your luggage and get settled with prices starting at $20.

Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus free Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**
AA announced enhancements to MCE:

“Enhanced bin access” (bins over MCE seats placarded for MCE use only; Flight Attendants will not be required to enforce this placarding as police).
*Overhead bin space availability varies by aircraft

“Complimentary beer, wine and spirits.”
**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service

On aa.com, FAQ on MCE: Link

Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

• AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
    • oneworld® SapphireSM and oneworld® EmeraldSM members
      • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket*

All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.

AAdvantage Gold and oneworld® RubySM members

• Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available

Other restrictions

Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.

*For travel ticketed in booking code Y on or after August 30, 2017, you'll no longer get complimentary Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats. This includes AAnytime awards booked in Main Cabin.
On a related note, and with a dedicated thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html and

Link to AA Preferred Seats FlyerTalk thread

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Yes, Main Cabin Extra is available for purchase when traveling on a Business Extra Plan AAhead ticket. Main Cabin Extra can be purchased by travelers on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award and by travelers on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award. This is for travelers without status. Ability to purchase on the SAAver award and requirement to pay on an AAnytime award are recent changes.
Older posts have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated)

Now that individual threads exist for each aircraft type, specific questions and comments regarding each aircraft should be posted in the relevant threads.

Examples:
Print Wikipost

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Wasn't MCE for first-tier elites supposed to be gone by now? I just booked a reservation on AA for my fiancee (US silver) and was able to put her in MCE for free.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:02 pm

Only experienced Elites that know rules well read

I am gold and am trying to upgrade an award ticket to Main cabin extra purchased through BA. I know it is 50% off and not free anymore but the webpage didn't allow me to select those seats. The first supervisor I spoke to said that I cannot get MCE on award ticket and explained to them that elites can do this and even showed them this from aa.com but he said well you can look at it two ways.

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?
A: Elite status members may select Main Cabin Extra seats when traveling on MileSAAver or PlanAAhead Award tickets. However, Main Cabin Extra is not available for purchase by non-elite customers traveling on MileSAAver or PlanAAhead Award tickets.

The next supervisor read through this and said well since you didn't book this through aa.com so you can't get MCE either. I explained to them I used to be able to select those seats as a gold member and I always book through britishairways.com but she did not believe me.

It seems after the system changed Mar 1 it is having troubled with reservations imported in from BA.com and even excluding elites from purchasing MCE seats.

Is there something I am missing. Do aa award tickets purchased through britishairway.com get treated differently from aa milesaver tickets. It seems there are many ignorant employees over at aa and they keep trying to make up reasons.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
MCE is not granted to Milesaaver tickets for any other reason than status. EXP and Plat members can still choose MCE on Milesaaver, but Gold's and Non-Members cannot. You cannot pay for MCE on a Milesaaver ticket.

At T-24, you can select a MCE seat as a Gold.

Last edited by miamigrad; Apr 16, 2014 at 9:36 pm
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:42 pm

Did u read the q and a that I posted from the aa site. Elite members can pay to upgrade on miles aver award tickets
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by flatseatlover
Did u read the q and a that I posted from the aa site. Elite members can pay to upgrade on miles aver award tickets
It says Elite members (EXP and Platinum) can choose MCE seats as they can on standard revenue tickets. It does not say you can purchase.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You do not have a mile saaver award though, you have an award issued by BA using (iirc) Avios.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As the FAQ also says,

However, Main Cabin Extra is not available for purchase by non-elite customers traveling on MileSAAver or PlanAAhead Award tickets.

As of 1 March, those with Ruby status fit into those requiring seat purchase and it is not permitted

The FAQ was written before march and seems not to have been updated to properly indicate the situation for ruby status members
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I have the same issue when I use Avios miles for those short haul NAmerican flights. Since the booking is made under the Avios FF number, AA agents can't change the FF number to our AAdvantage number and thus their system won't let them allocate MCE seats. Since my flights are about an hour's duration (YYZ-JFK/LGA or JFK-ORD) this is not a problem...and on the flight I just show my ExecPlat card and still get my free drink and BoB item.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by reeg2
It says Elite members (EXP and Platinum) can choose MCE seats as they can on standard revenue tickets. It does not say you can purchase.
Gold members are elite members too.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Gold members are elite members too.
Unfortunately the rules changed, what you quoted from the AA site isn't current. Maybe a phone agent will be kind and change your seat based on the site not being updated (not sure if they have the ability to), but the policy has been altered and Golds no longer get MCE in advance.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
This rule has always struck me as strange. It seems odd that I shouldn't be able to give American money for some price.

(Certainly, you would think that if I were willing to pay the full one-way, unrestricted F fare for a MCE seat on an award seat, they should happily take that money.)
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
This rule has always struck me as strange. It seems odd that I shouldn't be able to give American money for some price.
I'm afraid some things in life are not directly for sale for money, but are obtained through other actions or for other reasons.

Most people with PLT or EXP status not only spent money on the airline tickets, but put effort into being loyal to AA in the long term.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by flatlander
I'm afraid some things in life are not directly for sale for money, but are obtained through other actions or for other reasons.

Most people with PLT or EXP status not only spent money on the airline tickets, but put effort into being loyal to AA in the long term.
If that's the case, shouldn't we question why AA sells MCE seats to non-elites in the first place?

An award ticket is not remarkably different than a revenue ticket.

(Edit: It's worth nothing that the EXP in my profile is up to date. If I'm going to book an award for someone else, it's going to be with non-AA miles due to policies such as this one.)
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: AADULtArer
An award ticket is not remarkably different than a revenue ticket.
Brain crash, rebooting.......
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
You'll recover.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
I have the same issue when I use Avios miles for those short haul NAmerican flights. Since the booking is made under the Avios FF number, AA agents can't change the FF number to our AAdvantage number and thus their system won't let them allocate MCE seats.
I am curious about why the different experiences. I have not had that problem with AA flights on my BA-issued mileage tickets this year or last year. I've booked and flown a huge number of these kind of trips myself, and I've booked and had others flown on AA even more on these kind of tickets than I've flown myself -- and they aren't getting my BA or AA elite status showing on their AA boarding passes; and I've been able to get my AA number into my AA PNR when flying on these BA-issued award tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.