Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Looking for some help....
I've booked JAL JFK-NRT-ICN in J and the reverse flying JAL to Korea several times in the last few years with AA miles. However: https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...cheon-service/
As of this past march JAL no longer flies NRT to ICN. It looks like however that they are doing Code Share with Korean Air between NRT and ICN.

Of course JAL does have HND - GMP flights, but I'm only able to get award availability on NRT-JFK then I've got to figure out the best way to get between Seoul and NRT.

Perfect would be if I could use AA miles to book that CodeShare flight but I'm pretty sure that's not possible. Has anyone ever been able to do that? Use AA Miles to book a JAL award where one of the legs was on a JAL partner flight that was code share with JAL (in my case Korean Air). This would be ideal.

Assuming that's not possible, question is if I one way or another book one of the flights on Korean Air that is code shared with JAL Can I check my bags all the way through from ICN to JFK even though its a separate ticket? Would it matter if the ICN-NRT leg is in Y instead of J?

Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Also - you can upgrade yourself to business for cash at HND when you depart for a flat $350 US... if there is space available. There are signs at the counter stating this, and I attempted to do it in March 2018 except they were full.
I believe you can only upgrade yourself from economy to premium economy for $350...
JJeffrey and ijgordon like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Braswch
Perfect would be if I could use AA miles to book that CodeShare flight but I'm pretty sure that's not possible. Has anyone ever been able to do that? Use AA Miles to book a JAL award where one of the legs was on a JAL partner flight that was code share with JAL (in my case Korean Air). This would be ideal.

Assuming that's not possible, question is if I one way or another book one of the flights on Korean Air that is code shared with JAL Can I check my bags all the way through from ICN to JFK even though its a separate ticket? Would it matter if the ICN-NRT leg is in Y instead of J?
1. No using AA miles for a JL-numbered KE flight.

2. If you're just asking about the return (ICN-NRT-JFK) and not the outbound, then you should be fine with your bags going through. Just have a printout of your NRT-JFK ticket. From JFK-NRT-ICN, I'm not sure whether JAL has continued to interline bags to other carriers on separate tickets -- I think they do but maybe someone with firsthand experience can chime in. And if you're starting somewhere else on AA (like CLT-JFK-NRT before NRT-ICN) then forget about it, AA won't check through with separate tickets on separate PNRs.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
1. No using AA miles for a JL-numbered KE flight.

2. If you're just asking about the return (ICN-NRT-JFK) and not the outbound, then you should be fine with your bags going through. Just have a printout of your NRT-JFK ticket. From JFK-NRT-ICN, I'm not sure whether JAL has continued to interline bags to other carriers on separate tickets -- I think they do but maybe someone with firsthand experience can chime in. And if you're starting somewhere else on AA (like CLT-JFK-NRT before NRT-ICN) then forget about it, AA won't check through with separate tickets on separate PNRs.
Great that's good news. For the outbound I was able to get JFK-HND-GMP so it's only the return that's the concern. I potentially could get GMP-HND added if availability opened but would then have to get from HND to NRT and I'd probably rather just pay for a ticket to NRT than do that. So this is good. If I purchase or book via award those Korean Air flights from ICN to NRT and show the Korean Air checkin desk my JAL ticket they will check my luggage all the way to JFK is what you are saying right? Great!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Braswch
Great that's good news. For the outbound I was able to get JFK-HND-GMP so it's only the return that's the concern. I potentially could get GMP-HND added if availability opened but would then have to get from HND to NRT and I'd probably rather just pay for a ticket to NRT than do that. So this is good. If I purchase or book via award those Korean Air flights from ICN to NRT and show the Korean Air checkin desk my JAL ticket they will check my luggage all the way to JFK is what you are saying right? Great!
Yes, exactly. There are threads on FT confirming recent examples of the same. I've done similar from GMP and ICN myself as well.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:58 pm

Yes, exactly. There are threads on FT confirming recent examples of the same. I've done similar from GMP and ICN myself as well.
Thanks, so I just looked to check out of curiosity and there is award space for a GMP-HND flight the same day that gets into HND at 10am and the flight out of NRT is 7:30. I can book that as a single award through AA, correct?
I'm pretty sure that's a normal thing they do. Do you have to bring your own luggage and recheck in NRT or do they move it there somehow? That's plenty of time so maybe I'll consider that....

Thank you for the help!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:43 pm

Yes to booking on one award (that's about the only thing that co-terminals are good for nowadays) and yes to you'll have to drag your own bags to recheck.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
1. No using AA miles for a JL-numbered KE flight..
What about the opposite situation -- I'm guessing that if I fly JL-marketed / KE-operated on a paid ticket, I don't earn AA miles either? The JL earning page would seem to indicate not.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
What about the opposite situation -- I'm guessing that if I fly JL-marketed / KE-operated on a paid ticket, I don't earn AA miles either? The JL earning page would seem to indicate not.
Answer should be no.

If you're referring to this, https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...-airlines.jsp:

Earn miles

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Japan Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Japan Airlines codeshare flights operated by other carriers including oneworld® carriers and affiliates
...I think it's just bad drafting, based on experience, and that you'll earn on a JL-numbered non-AA/non-JL-operated codeshare only when the operating carrier is some oneworld member or affiliate.

But I would love to be proved wrong!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:24 am

Just booked an F award ord-bkk with JL. Anyway AA account showed they deducted 80000 mile and then 30000 mile. Wondering why would they deduct as 2 segments? Shouldn't it just be 110000 ,one deduction, for one ticket?
Also ORD-NRT then HND-BKK. There is no free transfer offered even for F customer?

Last edited by IamHungry; Sep 2, 2018 at 7:30 am
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by IamHungry
Just booked an F award ord-bkk with JL. Anyway AA account showed they deducted 80000 mile and then 30000 mile. Wondering why would they deduct as 2 segments? Shouldn't it just be 110000 ,one deduction, for one ticket?
Also ORD-NRT then HND-BKK. There is no free transfer offered even for F customer?
Weird, yea it should just be a single 110k US-Asia 2 F award, most likely the agent just set it up as separate awards since the mileage is the same, who knows.

One potential upside with 2 awards, you can have a stopover in Tokyo for as long as you want, if that would be of interest.

And no transfers are provided between NRT and HND. The Limo bus is easy.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Weird, yea it should just be a single 110k US-Asia 2 F award, most likely the agent just set it up as separate awards since the mileage is the same, who knows.

One potential upside with 2 awards, you can have a stopover in Tokyo for as long as you want, if that would be of interest.

And no transfers are provided between NRT and HND. The Limo bus is easy.
Do I have to collect my luggages on my way to HND?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:58 am

If I book JFK-HND/NRT-PUS as one award and then better award time comes up, jfk-nrt-pus on a different date, can I rebook for free since starting an destination is the same?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:21 am

Deleted.....
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by IamHungry
Do I have to collect my luggages on my way to HND?
Yes, you have to collect your bags and take them to HND.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.