Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Looked through this thread but didn't quite find my answer; hoping someone here can help. I would like to book two Business (one-way only) from HND to SFO on 4/27/19. Ability to book this flight as revenue can be done starting today, but AA doesn't see any awards available yet. Does it take a bit longer to show award availability vs a revenue ticket? Can someone with any insight suggest when I should try booking award/miles redemption again?

Thank you,
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Looked through this thread but didn't quite find my answer; hoping someone here can help. I would like to book two Business (one-way only) from HND to SFO on 4/27/19. Ability to book this flight as revenue can be done starting today, but AA doesn't see any awards available yet. Does it take a bit longer to show award availability vs a revenue ticket? Can someone with any insight suggest when I should try booking award/miles redemption again?

Thank you,
Looking at BA I don't see any award availability for HND-SFO on 4/27/19. Just because you are inside the ~330 day booking window doesn't necessarily mean there will also be award space released.

I would sign up for a BA account, then you can check yourself online rather than having to call AA. If you see space open up on BA, then call AA to book.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Thanks, I do have a BA account and will check. I was just curious if there is any pattern to when JAL releases saver awards; I'm an infrequent flier so not up on all the tips and tricks.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Looking at BA I don't see any award availability for HND-SFO on 4/27/19. Just because you are inside the ~330 day booking window doesn't necessarily mean there will also be award space released.

I would sign up for a BA account, then you can check yourself online rather than having to call AA. If you see space open up on BA, then call AA to book.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Adding JAL Domestic segment

I'm planning to fly to Osaka(KIX or ITM) in J and have question on booking the JAL domestic segment. What's the best method?
Placing the AA (SFO-LAX-HND) portion on hold and calling AA for to add the JAL or having AA csr book the whole route? Also, when does AA see the JAL domestic inventory?

Thanks.

Last edited by sbc94523; Jun 5, 2018 at 11:38 am
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
bump thread
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbc94523
I'm planning to fly to Osaka(KIX or ITM) in J and have question on booking the JAL domestic segment. What's the best method?
Placing the AA (SFO-LAX-HND) portion on hold and calling AA for to add the JAL or having AA csr book the whole route? Also, when does AA see the JAL domestic inventory?

Thanks.
Honestly either way works. However if you see award space now on aa.com on the SFO-LAX-HND flights, then I would put that on hold then call AA to add the JL segment.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: SPG Plat 75+, HH Gold, AA Plat, DL Silver, UA Silver
Newbie Question here, and can't seem to find a solid answer online:

Accumulated nearly 200K AA miles, and looking to book RT F to HND or NRT from MIA. No awards availibity showing from MIA to HND/NRT, only from their non-stop US hubs (SFO, LAX, ORD, JFK, etc...), but AASaver and AAAnytime availibility from MIA to SFO/LAX/ORD/JFK. Would my MIA leg be included in the 80K redemption, and if so, would that leg have to be in the AASaver bucket? Or, would I be able to utilize MIA to SFO/LAX/ORD/JFK non-stop routing, which is otherwise only an AAAnytime award, and incur no additional redemption add-ons (i.e. needing to then book a separate reward ticket)??
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flaflyerg
Newbie Question here, and can't seem to find a solid answer online:

Accumulated nearly 200K AA miles, and looking to book RT F to HND or NRT from MIA. No awards availibity showing from MIA to HND/NRT, only from their non-stop US hubs (SFO, LAX, ORD, JFK, etc...), but AASaver and AAAnytime availibility from MIA to SFO/LAX/ORD/JFK. Would my MIA leg be included in the 80K redemption, and if so, would that leg have to be in the AASaver bucket? Or, would I be able to utilize MIA to SFO/LAX/ORD/JFK non-stop routing, which is otherwise only an AAAnytime award, and incur no additional redemption add-ons (i.e. needing to then book a separate reward ticket)??
Your flight from MIA to the gateway city will be included for the 80k as long as you can find sAAver availability for that leg. If you can only find AAnytime for that leg, then it would have to be booked as two awards, AAnytime domestic award + sAAver F award to Tokyo.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AOPA
Removed

Last edited by teddy25; Jun 14, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
Last-minute question: months ago, I booked Mrs. EssexNYC and myself in J on JFK-NRT. Departure is two days from today. About a week ago, one F award seat opened up - I saw that there were at least two F seats for sale, so I upgraded my wife hoping that another seat would open up, but no such luck. Of eight seats in F, at least one is available for sale, and only three have selected seats (including Mrs. EssexNYC) - I know that seats available for selection is not an indicator of unsold seats, but five of eight unassigned seems an oddly high ratio. There are no J seats left (for purchase, award ticketing, or seat selection). Now at T-36 hours, should we be resigned to flying in separate classes? Or is there any chance of award availability opening up in the day or hours before departure?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by essexnyc
Last-minute question: months ago, I booked Mrs. EssexNYC and myself in J on JFK-NRT. Departure is two days from today. About a week ago, one F award seat opened up - I saw that there were at least two F seats for sale, so I upgraded my wife hoping that another seat would open up, but no such luck. Of eight seats in F, at least one is available for sale, and only three have selected seats (including Mrs. EssexNYC) - I know that seats available for selection is not an indicator of unsold seats, but five of eight unassigned seems an oddly high ratio. There are no J seats left (for purchase, award ticketing, or seat selection). Now at T-36 hours, should we be resigned to flying in separate classes? Or is there any chance of award availability opening up in the day or hours before departure?
Anything is possible, but the sold out J cabin wouldn’t make me very hopeful. All you can do is keep checking.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: UA, AS
JL released the last F seat on my flight for an award around T-36 earlier this month...but the flight did also have a few J seats available. After scoring the "last" F seat later in the day the flight went from F0 to F2 and two more awards became available. I had seen for weeks that the F count was two lower than assigned seats. Someone canceled 2F at T-1 day so it is possible. Checking frequently is all you can do. Good Luck!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And if you really want to sit together, and another F award doesn't open up, I'm sure the person sitting next to you in J would be more than happy to trade for your wife's F seat.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:01 pm

Googled but couldnt find any concrete answer. Does JAL still provide free hotel at HND for overnite layover on award tickets - using AA miles? Thank you!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Keflyer
Googled but couldnt find any concrete answer. Does JAL still provide free hotel at HND for overnite layover on award tickets - using AA miles? Thank you!
No, it doesn't ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.