Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Not much you can do other than keep checking. You probably won't see much movement until about 2 weeks before departure. It goes without saying but check just the gateways to TYO (i.e. DFW-HND, LAX-HND, etc.) and go from there if you find something.
Far out inventory can be hard to come by, but IME they reliably release a lot more close in. You just need to be a little flexible with dates and specific routes. Another thing to consider is that you might need AA sever inventory to get to/from the JL gateway...or buy a separate ticket.

I've now completed my flights this week and, my assumption about being able to find food at HND the night before, was my only major screw up. Lesson learned for next time.

​​​​​​
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
Far out inventory can be hard to come by, but IME they reliably release a lot more close in. You just need to be a little flexible with dates and specific routes. Another thing to consider is that you might need AA sever inventory to get to/from the JL gateway...or buy a separate ticket.
​​​​​​
Three of my 4 flight I need to get repositioned to/from for next year have no T or U inventory. Perhaps they will open up later. To be safe, I purchased 1 ticket (JFK-CLT-TPA), used Delta points for another (TPA-BOS), and will be rental-car-one-way driving home for the third (MIA-TPA).
Point being- you need to be flexible... even for far out bookings, as saver space (for me) has been hard to come by.

Last edited by WannaTheater; Dec 14, 2023 at 5:05 pm
Old Dec 14, 2023, 5:00 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by moondog
I've now completed my flights this week and, my assumption about being able to find food at HND the night before, was my only major screw up. Lesson learned for next time.​​​​​​
Airport Garden next time.
moondog likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 6:18 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by joejones
Airport Garden next time.
Close at 9pm/10pm?

https://en.japantravel.com/tokyo/han...t-garden/69831

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/restau...an-loves-curry
Old Dec 14, 2023, 6:33 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
At least the Villa Fontaine's restaurant and lounge are open all night and there's also a 24 hour convenience store with the usual array of food items. Possibly a few other late night options as well.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by joejones
At least the Villa Fontaine's restaurant and lounge are open all night and there's also a 24 hour convenience store with the usual array of food items. Possibly a few other late night options as well.
+1

I had a good experience using the Villa Fontaine as a base when I had a 20 hour layover at HND. Also used the Lawson’s as well.
moondog likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:20 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Archiving the older posts in this thread. For more recent discussion, please refer to the active thread here: AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thread)

Thanks! /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.