Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:31 am

Hi guys need some help here so I'm trying to book award tickets and business class on Jal in December. When I check Jal's website Alaska's website and even BA awebsite it shows the award space available for the days I want but when I call American Airlines and their agents they're not able to see the business class award space available. What can I tell the agent or do so they are able to pull up the business class space??
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: All
Originally Posted by brabb12
Hi guys need some help here so I'm trying to book award tickets and business class on Jal in December. When I check Jal's website Alaska's website and even BA awebsite it shows the award space available for the days I want but when I call American Airlines and their agents they're not able to see the business class award space available. What can I tell the agent or do so they are able to pull up the business class space??
Try calling again speaking to a different agent. I had the same experience last Friday booking an award in F. On the second try, the second agent was able to find it.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:44 am

ive tried 3 times. What else can I tell them to find it?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:00 pm

ive tried 3 times. What else can I tell them to find it?
Have them search JAL award space as if they were booking a revenue ticket. Tell them to look for fare code U. If they are unsure tell them it is the same way they find award space for Malaysia Airlines.

Also have you asked them to elevate it to their help desk?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:13 pm

Lady just looked at code fare U. Says she sees nothing for the entire month. I haven't asked for the help desk, what can they do? Ever time I call the agent says that they only give so many to each airlines, which I know it isn't true.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:29 pm

I would keep HUCA. Both recent times I booked JAL with AA I had this issue. They swore up and down they saw no availability even though I saw it with AS and BA. Keep trying. You can mention the memo that went out last year re: booking JAL and that might ring a bell, but chances are that if they can't figure it out then they don't know about the memo.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:54 pm

They can't find anything. At least the lady found a day a WEEK before what i wanted. So im booking that for myself, but for my wife a week later they can't find anything.
But I know that there is award space in business on JAL.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: CK or bust
They can't find anything. At least the lady found a day a WEEK before what i wanted. So im booking that for myself, but for my wife a week later they can't find anything.
But I know that there is award space in business on JAL.
While in theory you shouldn't have to as all AA agents should now how to and be able to access the same partner inventory, try one of the non-US call centers.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:46 pm

ok will give that a shot. Also does alaska show phantom award space sometimes?

Last edited by brabb12; Aug 20, 2018 at 2:58 pm
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:53 pm

Also does alaska show phantom award space sometimes?
Yes.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by millionmiler
Yes.
I have to piggyback on this because I seem to have a similar issue. AS search has been quite reliable for me until now and allowed me to hold ORD-NRT. A better date started showing availability today and I had no luck when calling in. BA does not show the space. Should I take this to mean it’s phantom availability showing on AS?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:06 pm

No. The agent that was finally able to help me get my two award tickets, she mentioned something about looking it up in the revenue tickets spot. Even though it's under as a award.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:06 pm

Are JAL.com award tickets availability not visible to AA agents?
I'm seeing 3 business class available but none of the agents at AA can see it...
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by msworldwanderer
Are JAL.com award tickets availability not visible to AA agents?
I'm seeing 3 business class available but none of the agents at AA can see it...
They might not be releasing the awards to partners. Have you tried looking on BA or AS to see if they show up?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kethalmanden
Hi. I am new to this. Sorry if I missed if there is an easy answer to this. I recently reserved (with AA 5-day hold) JFK-NRT, HND-JFK for March 2019. The JFK-NRT outbound is in first. The HND-JFK return is in economy. Assuming no F or J spots open up between now and when I have to go hard on the award with AA, what are my options for upgrading or changing the HND-JFK segment post-booking, either with miles or cash? Thank you!
Also - you can upgrade yourself to business for cash at HND when you depart for a flat $350 US... if there is space available. There are signs at the counter stating this, and I attempted to do it in March 2018 except they were full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.