Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
Hmm! Can you elaborate on this, please? The issue is that award flights -- particularly in premium classes -- aren't showing as available for me (on multiple airlines!) until a few days prior.
In fact, a JAL SFO-HND F seat for Monday just opened up today (Thursday) and, yes, I snagged it for $80 + 80K AA points .

On another happy / surprising note: my itin was ticketed within an hour (!).
I think they are referring to language many countries have for entry like "Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused entry."

Now, you *could" be refused entry but I doubt it for Japan, been there a couple of times and never been asked. It is more likely the airline you are flying might refuse to board you on your outbound if they do a thorough doc check. This is so they do not have to fly you back at their expense if you are denied entry. Even this is not common. Most likely you will be OK but be prepared to book a last minute flight out of Japan if they demand it. It does not have to be a return to the US, it could be just the cheapest or award ticket out of Japan to somewhere close.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Hmm! Can you elaborate on this, please? The issue is that award flights -- particularly in premium classes -- aren't showing as available for me (on multiple airlines!) until a few days prior.
In fact, a JAL SFO-HND F seat for Monday just opened up today (Thursday) and, yes, I snagged it for $80 + 80K AA points .

On another happy / surprising note: my itin was ticketed within an hour (!).
The AA agent checking you in may ask for a return/onward ticket. There is also a chance that immigration in Japan might ask to see an onward ticket—although some above have indicated that this is unlikely to happen. I also have never been asked for a return/onward ticket at Japanese immigration. But then I never thought I would need to show proof of onward travel when entering Canada (as a US citizen), and yet it happened recently.

Just wanted to give you a heads up of a potential risk of showing up without an onward ticket.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:00 am

Hello, I booked an award ticket on JAL using AA miles two days ago and it hasn't ticketed yet. I've seen from the thread that it can take a few days. The weird thing, it my account it's showing up like this: Please call to book your trip.

Is that normal? The agent at the time asked if I wanted to book or place it on hold, I said book and gave her my credit card information.
Thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Lyssa
Hello, I booked an award ticket on JAL using AA miles two days ago and it hasn't ticketed yet. I've seen from the thread that it can take a few days. The weird thing, it my account it's showing up like this: Please call to book your trip.

Is that normal? The agent at the time asked if I wanted to book or place it on hold, I said book and gave her my credit card information.
Thanks!
Who knows, but since it's been 2 days just give AA a call to make sure everything is ok.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:32 am

Thanks!
That's normal. Depending on how far away your trip is it could ticket in a couple days or a couple weeks.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:55 am

Thanks!
When I ticket JAL it says “Pending” until it finally gets ticketed. If it were on hold it would read, “On Hold.” Are you sure there’s not some status like that when you look up the reservation?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:45 am

Thanks!
If they show "please call" I'd call.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Flyingeph12 and dkc192, thanks for the info and reassurance! Now here's hoping I actually find availability. This may be the first international trip I go on with just an outbound ticket
I'm flying the same route this weekend (using AA miles), booked a few weeks ago when an F seat popped up. I was going to book a Y return just to have something in pocket, as you can always upgrade if F/J becomes available - you might want to do this as well.

Luckily J space popped up on the flight, though I'm still hoping for F; a bit surprised that it hasn't, as it's just over 2 weeks out and HND-SFO is still showing F3. Even NRT-ORD isn't showing F availability, and that's F6!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
The AA agent checking you in may ask for a return/onward ticket. There is also a chance that immigration in Japan might ask to see an onward ticket—although some above have indicated that this is unlikely to happen. I also have never been asked for a return/onward ticket at Japanese immigration. But then I never thought I would need to show proof of onward travel when entering Canada (as a US citizen), and yet it happened recently.

Just wanted to give you a heads up of a potential risk of showing up without an onward ticket.
What would be regarded as evidence of a return? I do have a return flight, booked with Avios (possibly the best possible use of BA points) - would showing them the reservation on the BA app likely be sufficient?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JHunter
What would be regarded as evidence of a return? I do have a return flight, booked with Avios (possibly the best possible use of BA points) - would showing them the reservation on the BA app likely be sufficient?
Yes. I've booked separate awards for outbound and return using different airlines/mileage currency, and I've never had an issue with simply showing proof of the return itinerary.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg

When I ticket JAL it says “Pending” until it finally gets ticketed. If it were on hold it would read, “On Hold.” Are you sure there’s not some status like that when you look up the reservation?
The options I've seen recently are "on hold" or "on request." If it's "on request" it'll also say to call in but this should just be a bug with the new website.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
The options I've seen recently are "on hold" or "on request." If it's "on request" it'll also say to call in but this should just be a bug with the new website.
You're right. I don't know why I wrote, pending.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:39 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Just a brief data point from this week, partly to reassure anyone worried about AAgents having trouble seeing JAL award availability.

Morning in Europe, 330 days out, BA showing the F availability I'd been hoping for. A few minutes later, after a very pleasant phone call with an AA call center in the Caribbean, the booking had been made and seats assigned.

A confirmation email with ticket numbers followed just over 24 hours later. Much faster than expected, based on previous AA redemptions and reports above. All in all, an easy and positive booking experience. ^
GWFan likes this.

Last edited by IMH; Nov 13, 2018 at 2:27 am Reason: Added details.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: *G, oneworld Sapphire
I just had a very disappointing interaction with an AA agent, after 40 minutes on hold no less.

I confirmed availability for a JAL flight from BKK-HND on January 26 via both BA and Alaska, but this guy claims it's not available on AA. Twitter rep says the same thing.

Is this possible? I know some airlines have different availability buckets on partner airlines than others (as is the case with CX and AS), but I wasn't aware that a JAL flight could show as available via BA but not be bookable on AA.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by LeaveYourDailyHell
I just had a very disappointing interaction with an AA agent, after 40 minutes on hold no less.

I confirmed availability for a JAL flight from BKK-HND on January 26 via both BA and Alaska, but this guy claims it's not available on AA. Twitter rep says the same thing.

Is this possible? I know some airlines have different availability buckets on partner airlines than others (as is the case with CX and AS), but I wasn't aware that a JAL flight could show as available via BA but not be bookable on AA.
What on earth took 40 mins? Some of AA's phone agents can be downright terrible at anything other than the most basic flight searches. Seen it many times where award space shows up on BA or QF, etc., but when calling AA they can't find it. I'd say that in 95% of these cases a simple HUCA does the trick (or 2 or 3 HUCA's)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.